Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Lux-RC L312 single XP-G project...advice?

Alrighty...I ordered my triple...but I was just too dadgum tempted to get the single. Such a good price! I ordered one and I'm thinking about making an even more miniature light.

-Single XP-G
    -Integrated driver
    -14.6mm diameter board

I want to keep the thing as small as possible...but I don't wanna kill the functionality of it.

1. Optics: I'm looking at the Ledil Tina 16.1mm diameter optics. Will this work out well do you think?

2. What kind of run time will I be looking at with a 7.4v 2500 mAh pack versus a 900 mAh pack?

I'm thinking about sticking with the "Hex Bar" design for now to keep it Koo. This one will have to be 0.75" hex bar giving me ~ 1.5mm of wall thickness from flat-to-flat and a couple more from corner to corner. May just do the silicone on this one...I'll have to see how much room I actually have to drill and tap for a face cap.

So yeah...I guess mainly for now I want some advice on whether or not the optics will be decent enough...and runtime. (as my triple isn't finished...this project will be a while...but the gutz are ordered )

http://www.lux-rc.com/view.php?p=con...case/L30/order

http://www.lux-rc.com/content/showca...-EN-120418.pdf

One more thing...since this is only a single XP-G...could I do only around 3/4" to 1" length with 3 sets of 2 fins for cooling?

mtbr member
    your main problem will be mounting the optic , you will need to remove the holder from Tina and just seat the optic on the led .
    so keeping it in the correct position will be a bit of an issue.

the Tina is OK not great not bad you would get a better beam if you stuck with a 20 mm optic

Lets RIDE!
    I have some double Tina XPGs in the works. Hopefully some beamshots coming...soon? I only seem to manage 10 or 15 minutes of work on them a couple times a week lately before I'm on to "more important" chores, so maybe not so soon :-(

The holders are annoying to work with. Difficult to pop the optic out, and much modification to the base is needed to get it to sit over the wires and solder blobs, even on a simple 10mm square board. Perhaps it is meant for the 10mm round, or ??? I cannot see getting the holder to work with the Quazzle board.

Judging by Troutie's beam shots, the 20mm optics will give a better quality beam, at least with XPG. His XPE beamshots look better.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Maybe a reflector then?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Runtime calculation

Unless you use more than one of these I don't see it being too useful for mtbing. Walking or hiking, sure. You could even use it as an emergency backup incase your main light goes out during a ride.

Your hex tripple is pretty small already. I don't see the value in trying to make something even smaller when you reduce the light output by 66%.

Here's how to calcualate run time:
    First calculate the Battery WattHrs:
    Battery Capacity x Battery Voltage (2.5AHr x 7.4V = 18.5WattHrs)

Then, calculate the LED Watts:
    LED Current x Forward Voltage / Driver Efficiency (1.1A x 3.5V / .96) = 4.01Watts)

Now divide the battery watt hours by the led watts to get run time:
    (18.5 / 4.01 = 4.6Hrs)

Note:
    - I used amps instead of milliamps, just divide mA by 1000 to get A.
    - Be sure to use the forward voltage appropriate for the current you're driving the LED at, can be found on the datasheet from Cree.
    - This is just an estimate, your actual runtime will likely be less due to many factors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think it may depend on the trail that I will be frequenting...but I see your point. I was however impressed with my U**Fire R5 from DX. I could have definitely ridden with that strapped to my helmet if it were a tad less "spotty". Maybe I can either find a happy medium on the optics...or just build it into an EDC flashlight.

The R5 is quite the little emitter...but going from a dual P7 setup...I do agree that I may be a little under-gunned on my normal local trail network.

I was somewhat considering doing a bar mount with a floodier beam and having it pointed close in front for the slow stuff...and still running the triple on the helmet. I may instead...do a triple on the helmet and P7 bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the calculations too...I'll permanently file those!

mtbr member
    Put your Triple XPG on the bars and do a triple XPE R3 on the helmet When Quazzle has them in stock .
    and sell the P7 you wont regret it and will have a real good set up .

Jmitchell13 speaks good advise but dont let that stop you doing the single you will enjoy the build. and have a good little backup light .

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Put your Triple XPG on the bars and do a triple XPE R3 on the helmet When Quazzle has them in stock.
    This is exactly what I have in mind for my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Jmitchell13 speaks good advise but dont let that stop you doing the single you will enjoy the build. and have a good little backup light .
    Yea. This is purly my opinion, coming from someone who has build a few lights already. If you decide to build a single it will certainly be a fun learning experience. I'm sure you'll find a use for it somewhere. Heck, you could put a red led on there and use it as a tail light.

mtbr member
    I actually like the idea of having a small light like this. I agree that running on 1 light with 350 lumens doesn't seem like much right now, but just a few years ago that would be a ton of light.

I plan on running more than 1 of these lights when Quazzle gets his housings solidified. I might also run a tripple too, but having more than one light makes a lit of sense to me. Far less prone to have all of you lights fail at once if at all.

I actually think three of these lights (1000+ lumens) would be more than enough for most riders; me included. But I'm keeping an open mind to running a tripple on my helmet or dual tripples on the bar and one of these singles on my helmet.

I'm building up my battery packs right now with the 18650 AW 2600mah cells and regular trailtech connectors for compatibility. I could run two of these lights off of 2 cells and have plenty of runtime for most of my rides. I also ordered a 4 cell holder for longer rides.

My biggest issue is this: just about the time I can get all of my parts and have them assembled, some new emitter will be out and we will all be drooling to get it. I guess that is why I am going with individual cells, chargers and holders now. At least I won't have to repurchase everything all over again.

Rob

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think if you had 2x triples on the bars...they'd swallow up the single on the helmet. I'm sure a triple on the bars and a triple R3 helmet (as suggested above) would be a killah setup!!

I'm not even finished with my first triple and contemplating my next 2 builds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    I'm not even finished with my first triple and contemplating my next 2 builds.
    HA! It's a sickness we have. Unfortunatly there is no cure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Since I had already ordered some 3/4" (19mm) hex bar for this project...I'm going to stick with the Tina for now. I'm going to use an o-ring between the optics and lens...and a snap ring on top to hold the guts in. It will be modeled alot after Troutie's bar-mount hex light.

I've found some 17.5mm snap rings. I still need to source a 16mm lens. I could use the 17 from flashlightlens.com and sand it down on the edges...but I'd rather not.

Sorry for crap pics...taken in dim lighting with phone.

I'll probably try to "step down" the flat hole with a lathe so I can seat the MCPCB and still have room for the 16.1mm optics.

Here's my plan:

mtbr member
    ...I'm going to stick with the Tina for now. I'm going to use an o-ring between the optics and lens...and a snap ring on top to hold the guts in. It will be modeled alot after Troutie's bar-mount hex light.
    Hi. Tina is a nice choice, I support it. The housing idea looks solid too.

I have designed L31 to be used in a housing like this:

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is that a reflector or optics?

I figured somewhere around 3 sq in would be enough to cool...ample?

Light freak
    Just curious, have you actually received your Lux-RC L312 single?

mtbr member
    Is that a reflector or optics?
    I figured somewhere around 3 sq in would be enough to cool...ample?
    I use acryl/PC lenses for my lights. They give much better spot with marginal blinding effect.

As for the housing heat dissipation ability, check this one:

It's about 1'' (25mm) in diameter and dissipates about 4.2-4.5W heating up to 75C at room temperature (still air).
    L312 dissipates a bit less so the same housing is ok for it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    +1

Not trying to piss in anyone's cheerios but...I'm curious as well...I can't think of a gentler way to ask... here goes...

Has anyone seen or received actual product of any kind from LUX-RC?

mtbr member
    I guess no coz I didn't released it yet. The good news that the bulk parts delivery just passed customs clearing and I anticipate to resume production on Mon-Tue. All prepaid parts will be sent ASAP with the highest priority.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    Has anyone seen or received actual product of any kind from LUX-RC?
    the first production plan was just 10pcs of each. It has been sold out in 1 day. This time I plan to produce about 500-1000pcs
    Last edited by quazzle; 05-06-2010 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Patience, people...;0)

Light freak
    Kind of thought that was the case. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Kind of thought that was the case. Good luck.

So are you saying he's trying to take the money and run?

He delivered here:

Quazzles L30 light

What's with the skepticism?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What's with the skepticism?
    Quazzle has been posting on this forum for ~10 months with various products and nobody has posted about actually having received anything until today. Might be that nobody ordered anything from him until crewcabrob, I don't know. I am glad to hear that someone has gotten product from Quazzle. It helps me feel more confident that when I order something I'll get it.

(edit: fixed some grammar errors)
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 05-06-2010 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    With that many units to sell maybe consider getting an ad in the classifieds section here on MTBR.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast