Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Lupine seriously upping the ante...

http://www.lupine-lights.com/misc/New.jpg

How many lumens do we reckon then - about 1500?

Andy

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    looks like someone beat me two it. First look at the new flagship model

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    looks like someone beat me two it. First look at the new flagship model

double post for some reason...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    C'mon Todd, how about a little info?
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Driggs
    C'mon Todd, how about a little info?
    This light announce 1400 lumens.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    I just got the go a head... This new light will be producing 1500 lumens!
    It will be offered in kits like the Edison models were, 13.8ah battery, Charger One in the top model, with the 6.8ah and Charger One in the next model down. There will also be a kit with a headband in it.
    This light will also dim down to a 1watt setting, so there will be a huge range of light options.

Currently there isn't a name for this new light yet, but Lupine has a poll set up on there forum to help name the light.
    Click here for the poll,
    http://www.lupine-lights.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1292

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice looking light - Its going to be expensive!

mtbr member
    Oh my! That's quite the light there. Any word on run time? Cost?

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by James@GearReview
    Oh my! That's quite the light there. Any word on run time? Cost?
    James, Not real sure yet on run times just yet, I will get more info on that soon. Just got this off Lupine's forum:

Some more facts:
    Diameter 54 mm
    Length 44 mm
    Weight ~160 gr (lighthead only)
    Power Levels from 0.5W to 22W
    Note 0.5W is an emergency mode form ultra long runtimes
    Lumens: more than 1400

We also made a couple of changes on the software. The most remarkable one: A new superflash with 2 additional dimmlevels and much easier to select.
    We build up a new lens providing a broad beam and still more light in the distance. This was possible due to the 3 more available LEDs.

The new light will be available in 2 differents sets:
    One version with the 6.8Ah Li-Ion battery and Charger One:
    The 13.8Ah battery and Charger One:~

Availibilty: Mid August

Just a note to the price/ performance relation. The 7 LEDs we using are more costly to us than the Edison bulb. We did not build this light to be cheap but to be the best.

Beam pictures: Available soon

Light freak
    What size of battery will it take to run 7 LED's? 14.8V or higher?

Double-metric mtb man
    Wow...1500 lumens!! That's gotta generate a fair bit of heat.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Wow...1500 lumens!! That's gotta generate a fair bit of heat.
    That was something I asked about as well, and Lupine told me that it won't heat up any more than Wilma, running at 830 lumens. It will get hot, of coarse, but so do all lights.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Very exciting stuff!

Although Stefan has mentioned a software tweak to include the dimmable flashing mode, I assume apart from that the user interface will be relatively unchanged from the PCS V6 used on the Wilma series of lights. I also assume it will be knocking back the drive current quite often at the higher power levels, particularly in warmer ambient temperatures. With a 54mm by 44mm housing you donít have much surface area to dissipate the heat that 7 emitters are going to crank out at higher drive currents.

From my point of view the Lupine name has always been associated with very high quality but equally pricey lights, but this is getting just a little silly. Now donít get me wrong, thereís no doubt that this light is aimed as a no compromise performance light, but whoís going to buy it?

In all honesty you could argue that the only people that will buy this light will be true enthusiasts, so why not gear the light towards that market if youíre going to charge so much for it?

The PCS system would be a great base to do some really cool interface stuff with. With 7 emitters and a custom optic you have loads of scope for multiple channel control, independent and customisable presets for dimming both a flood and spot beam, advanced user customization etc. The possibilities are endless, yet really all youíll be getting is a slightly brighter Wilma with a titanium bezel.

Even so I have no doubt it will be a great light, and that they will sell many. It will be interesting to see some beam shots, with more emitters thereís more scope to do some very interesting stuff with optics, hopefully we may see something special to justify the price.

Dave.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Sounds like Lupine decieded to go with the name "Betty".

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Ah very good! It's nice to have a bit of a theme running!

Dave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lupine leads the light game but I just cannot make myself spend $IK or more on a lightset and I am one heck on an impulse buyer. Just a few hundred more gets me a high-end bike frame. However, for those willing to spend the money, this will be the no-compromise option and a few detailed reviews would be great when these lights come out.

Is the new lighthead (at 160 grams) much heavier or bigger than the current Wilma and the Edison? What are the weights of the Wilma 8 and Edison lightheads?

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I understand the Wilma head is around 120 grams, and the Edison is 150 grams. So it’s in the same ballpark.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    One other reason they used ti for the front ring that holds the glass in front of the optics. The weight is more evenly dispursed accross the lamp. Keeps the heavy part of the lamp over the mount, so it won't rotate forward or backwards.

Do It Yourself
    They aren't competing with bike lights anymore; that's car headlight territory. With over 200 lumens per light engine, I would still like to see more options in the one to two light engine system category. Smaller, lighter, less expensive, but still "enough" light. Maybe Lupine can't compete in the lower range with the mass market so is choosing the super-premium tier instead. Still it's good to see them out there pushing the envelope.
    Long Live Long Rides

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    They aren't competing with bike lights anymore; that's car headlight territory. With over 200 lumens per light engine, I would still like to see more options in the one to two light engine system category. Smaller, lighter, less expensive, but still "enough" light. Maybe Lupine can't compete in the lower range with the mass market so is choosing the super-premium tier instead. Still it's good to see them out there pushing the envelope.

I don't think it's a matter of not being able to compete in the market, I think they just want to push the envelope

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    I don't think it's a matter of not being able to compete in the market, I think they just want to push the envelope

Sorry I didn't mean that in a bad way. I see the Lupine's as very high end gear which doesn't always lend itself to lower price points. They may just not want to compete with the NiteRider, CygoLite, Dinotte, etc for the lower end $150-$250 system range to maintain their premium status. It just seems that with the same quality light engines and engineering as the Wilma and Betty, the Lupine could totally blow them away. It also seems like they would sell a lot more systems at the $250 price point rather than $1000+.

Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just wishing Lupine made something I could afford.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    $350-$500 for a seriously nice LED is probably a good point. The problem is made worse for us by the dollar's decline against the euro. It costs more to pay Lupine in dollars and cuts into the distributor's margin since it is priced in euros but paid for in dollars. Dealers I know who can resell Lupines are not enthusiatic about it and recommend the others instead because there is little margin and the price is so high. I know two guys looking for Lupines who were told to buy directly from the distributor since there was no margin. They went with other lights, in both cases.

My friends and family living in other countries are seeing the positive side of the situation. After decades of the strong dollar and their currencies declining, it has become cheaper for them to buy American goods and to travel to the US. Sucks for me though. It costs more to travel and I can't try a Lupine

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Any word on pricing for this new light head yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just wishing Lupine made something I could afford.
    L&M engineers are working to produce a realtively affordable LED that is as brighter or brighter than their HIDs. It will be in line with their HID pricing since they do not have to deal with importing the finished product. I bet Dinotte is also eyeing this level of LED.

I'll use my HIDs that I really like and then revisit the LED offerings next year so I can have a second light. I'll give up a couple of LEDs to have a lighthead that is compact and light. I'd rather run a 1,000 Lumen relatively compact lighthead weighing 120 grams over a 1,500 Lumen one weighing 170 grams but that's just me.

I'll call some of these manufacturers to find out what they are up to and offer some suggestions...

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    The website has had a few small updates, as long as you keep the language set as German.

It also appears likely that they will be available towards the end of August.

Dave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast