mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Lupine Edison vs Wilma lamps: LED less bouncy?

I was hoping if someone could tell me whether the Lupine LED lamps, like the Wilma, are less bouncy when riding than the HID like the Edison. With my edison, I find that the light beam bounces around a bit when I am riding on the road and gives me a slight strobe effect over bumps. Now I may not have it mounted tight enough, but I am using the mount and o ring that came with the lamp.

Also I imagine that the Wilma LED lamp is more robust than the Edison lamp and one doesn't have to be so careful with it, both in handling it and in terms of usage - not turning it on and off too many times? Am I right in thinking this?

Thanks,
    Geoff

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Probably what is going on with your Edison is that the bulb is flickering when you are hitting little bumps. Most HID's do this. And yes, you don't have to be so careful of turning off and on with the Wilma, or in handling.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    You shouldn’t get the “strobe effect” like you would with an HID based light either, although you’re still going to notice your light being shaken as you hit major bumps like any other light.

Out of interest, have you ever tried riding with your light mounted on your helmet when you’re doing road rides?

Dave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Todd,

Thanks for that. It is indeed more of a flickering than a bouncing, as I put it. I think I may have to upgrade to a Wilma lamp head. Do the Wilma lamps come standard with the 31.8mm bar mount now?

And Low Rider, I have never tried a helmet mount. The thought of having all that wiring and hardware strapped to my head, and tying me into my jersey is not the least bit appealing.

thanks for the help,

Geoff

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    The standard mount for all Lupine lamps will fit on 31.8 bars, but if you are going to use it a lot I would recomend getting the oversized mount. And since you already own a Lupine Edison kit, all you need to upgrade would be the lamp. All Lupine lamps and batteries are compatible with each other.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    While we’re talking about mounts and things Todd, can you see any issues with using an oversized Lupine mount on the helmet mount?

For some reason I always thought it was a no go, but a recent comment somewhere made it sound like it worked quite okay?

Dave.

Enlightened
    I'm really curious as to why production bike HID owners are experiencing this flickering? Is this actually happening or is it a psychperceptual effect being noticed by astute individuals? Some people can sense things other people have absolutely no clue is out there... is this the case here?

Could it be that this is happening on both your mountain bike and on your road bike because the colour of the ground around you tends to be darker offroad than onroad?

Automotive HID system cause "dazzling" around the cutoffs that can tend to mislead others into thinking the light is coloured anywhere from white to purple to pink to blue.

I have car HID's on my bike and have never perceived any flickering/dazzling myself (but then again, I don't have cutoffs)... that's not to say it won't drive someone else nuts but no one has commented.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Todd,

Can I buy just the oversized mount at Gretnabikes? I've also got the Edison and the 31.8 bars. Is it difficult to switch back and forth from the oversized mount and the regular helmet mount? Thanks and I love the light.

Kevin

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmojo
    I'm really curious as to why production bike HID owners are experiencing this flickering?

Iím trying to find an old thread that went in to great detail discussing the colour shift issue. I think the general consensus (backed up by a NiteRider tech if I remember) was that vibration can in fact cause a disturbance of the gas / plasma resulting in the colour shift. I donít know if this phenomenon is a result of lower bulb quality, which isnít likely with Lupine, or perhaps a weaker arc as a result of trying to improve efficiency?

I think it was decided that the colour shift through vibration was a completely different issue to the diffraction that is sometimes noticeable as a result of light splitting off lenses / reflectors.

Back to Geoffís original issue though, it sounds to me like itís just the light bouncing around, he hasnít actually mentioned any colour shift!

Dave.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    While weíre talking about mounts and things Todd, can you see any issues with using an oversized Lupine mount on the helmet mount?

For some reason I always thought it was a no go, but a recent comment somewhere made it sound like it worked quite okay?

Dave.

Dave I just tried using the 31.8 mount on the helmet mount, and I would say it's a no go. The O-ring comes in three sizes 22mm, 25mm and 31.8mm. I use the 25 on both my 31.8 bars and the helmet mount, and it goes back and forth just fine. But, as an example, if I were to use my light on oversized bars everyday, and had to take the lamp off and on everyday I would deffinetly want the oversized mount. Just makes the whole thing easier. Especialy when it's cold out.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KPRush1000
    Todd,

Can I buy just the oversized mount at Gretnabikes? I've also got the Edison and the 31.8 bars. Is it difficult to switch back and forth from the oversized mount and the regular helmet mount? Thanks and I love the light.

Kevin

Kevin, Yes you can just buy the mount from us. Look in the accessories page. Glad you love your light

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    I've tried dozens of Lupine Edison's over the years, and I've experienced some that just work with no color change or flickering, and some that flicker and color change badly. It's not often that they behave badly, but every now and again you have this, and for the most part if one flickered enough for it to be a problem, a bulb change fixed it.

mudmojo, just a thought, maybe the reason you have not experienced this is that you are using different HID bulbs then the rest of the companies. For the most part all the production bike HID lights are using the same bulbs. You aren't using the same 16w Welch Allyn bulbs the rest uses. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the response Todd.

I was more concerned / interested about the profile of the oversize light mount causing issues rather than then O-ring size, as that’s easy to fix in comparison to stuffing around making up shims to get things to work nicely.

I think I’ll just try it and see how we go.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Dave I see what you mean. The profile can't be that much different, a shim would work, but for the amount of time it takes to work a shim in there, you might as well just go back and forth between the to different o-rings.

But I'm curious to see what you come up with.