mtbr member

Lupine Betty is here

Saturday I received my Lupine Betty light and what a light it is. I have only had time to fire it up around the house, but man oh man this thing can throw some light. I took it out to the back yard and it lights up the dang yard lol and can light up my neighbors garage which is way on the other side of a good size field lol. When I get time I will get some pics outside, but we had a good snow storm going on here all weekend so I couldn't yet. I have to thank GEOMAN for giving me a great price and even better service once again. I previously purchased a Lupine Wilma from geomangear.com and the service was top notch then too and I would recommend them to anyone. Anyway here are a few pics I took for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Congrats! I bet you will get addicted to that Betty very quickly after your next ride. You have the same light setup I do. I'll keep the Wilma for the helmet since it's so light but I am hooked on keeping the Betty on the bar.

I was expecting a pretty wide beam since it does have seven LEDs but I was a bit surprised at the distance that wide beam goes. Larry (mtnhighcyclery) and Chad (redbarnbicycles) are both dealers now and I know them extremely well through the Turner/Ventana forums (they are the best Turner/Ventana dealers) so I got mine from Larry. I was so excited when it came in that he asked me to come by his house to pick it up since the shop had closed by the time I was done working.

We not have a bunch of snow so I'm in the same boat as you though I did break down and go snowboarding yesterday. Still, I hope we can use the lights again soon. It is such a waste to leave these lights lying around- they make me ride more often and I feel guilty for not taking the bright little guys out to ride and see the wildlife.
    Last edited by Flyer; 12-17-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    very nice setup, MaximusHQ!

Seems like Flyer is not the only dual-Lupine-freak now!

mtbr member
    Thanks flyer and crisillo. Yes I can't wait to do some real riding again, but for now I do a little riding with my Nokian studded tires around town and such, but not nearly as much as I would like. I will use the Wilma on the helmet like you and put Betty on the bars. I just put Betty on the helmet for the pics. I find another use for using my lights is to go outside at night and play fetch with my dog lol. I just have to not aim the light at his eyes. I am going to do some cross country skiing at night this year too so the lights should be handy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is one great thing about having a proper headband you can fit the lights on. I'm going to get one from Lupine as well so I can use the Wilma for XC skiing and camping. I'm getting a bit tired of those silly little LED lights that pretend to be real lights that actually light the way.

mtbr member
    Here is a pic of my dog who always seems to want to be the center of attention. If I try to watch tv for too long he stands between me and it so that he won't be ignored lol. Flyer one thing you should know when you get the headband is that the black clips that hold the switch and wiring are extremely tight and to fit the cord in them it states in the manual to either pry them open a bit with a screwdriver or wet the rubber cord so it slides in easier. I found I had to pry them just a bit and still wet them to get them in the clips otherwise it seems impossible to get them in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (84.0 KB, 449 views)

breathing helium
    I ordered my Betty and Wilma through Larry at Mtn High Cyclery. Great guy to deal with. I got the Betty the other day. It is VERY bright! I too have only played with mine aorund the house but look forward to some good night rides. I've got the Wilma slated to helmet duty as well as other non bike duties. I need to get one of the headbands. I have to say that I am impressed by the design and craftsmanship of the unit. Yes, you pay a premium, but they are light years (pun intended) beyond the Niteriders that I had. Heck, I may go out tonight!

Thanks for the pic M-HQ. I never thought of routing a velcro strap through the helmet vent for the remote. The manual calls for an adhesive piece up there. I like the clean look of the helmet when not night riding.

mtbr member
    That's great cocheese. I have heard a lot of great things about Larry around here too. In regards to the velcro, I learned it's easier just to use velcro straps instead of the adhesive piece the light came with. I started with the adhesive piece, but soon after the adhesive piece that went on the under side of the remote switch came off as it lost it's stickiness. This left the switch flailing about and when I went to reach for it it was not there lol. The velcro strap solves that problem for good. I love velcro straps, they come in handy for all sorts of things.

I got out today for a ride, I started in daylight, but ended at night. I only went on streets so no trail riding yet with the Betty. It was about 44 degrees Fahrenheit today so I took advantage of the warmer winter weather to go out riding, but stuck to roads which are clear of snow right now. The Betty at 40% was plenty for riding the roads here and I only bumped Betty up to 100% when I was on roads with no traffic in sight. Wilma stayed home and rested tonight lol. I can't wait to get some more serious riding in when the snow all goes away. I have fun with my Winter bike with studded tires and all, but I will be happier to get back to my regular riding which doesn't include snow.

breathing helium
    I'm going to copy your velcro strap idea for sure. Who should I send the royalty check to?

I went fire road riding today too. It was patchy snow all the way up. This time of year the trails are a sloppy mess around here. It was warm and relatively clear so I thought I should get out while I could. No lights or me today but I think I am going to break it in this Thursday when the local bike club has either a night ride or a trail work get together. I'm thinking that 40% is going to plenty for most of my work too. I think you could probably blind a driver with the Betty!