mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lupine Batt Pics

Anyone know if the PCB in this Lupine battery does some sort of balancing function? I'm assuming it does due to the third wire?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lupine Batt Pics-img_0024.jpg  

Lupine Batt Pics-img_0025.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    All protection PCBs require that third wire. It's needed to monitor the voltage of the individual cells. That's doesn't imply the protection PCB balances the pack. Without a much better picture of the parts on the PCB I can't say for sure. But it doesn't look like it provides balancing. I base that on what I can make out from the picture. I can see what I think are the control IC, and the charge and discharge FETs. I don't see the other parts that are typically there for balancing. If you can get a much better picture that has readable part numbers on the components, I can likely say for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This is the best I can do....I'm still trying to figure out why they can charge $92 usd for this battery....Is there something super special about the PCB? The batteries are standard Samsung 18650's as far as I can tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lupine Batt Pics-img_0845.jpg  

recognize the slowness
    It's quality workmanship don't you know!

Looks to be standard parts to me also...but looks can be deceiving.

JB
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If there's a balancer on-board, there should be some larger than usual resistors used as a "dummy load" for dumping the excess energy of the stronger cell. I don't see that here.

Take a look at batteryspace's balancing + protection circuit board. You can see the larger 100 ohm (marked 101) resistors used as the dummy load.

http://www.batteryspace.com/pcmwithe...02s20-265.aspx
    http://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/1083.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bncrshr77
    This is the best I can do....I'm still trying to figure out why they can charge $92 usd for this battery.
    Everybody wants to have a luxury life, even Lupine management

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bncrshr77
    This is the best I can do....I'm still trying to figure out why they can charge $92 usd for this battery....Is there something super special about the PCB? The batteries are standard Samsung 18650's as far as I can tell.
    Is there a part number on that top IC in the picture. I can't tell if it's unmarked or just doesn't show in the picture? With that last picture I'm fairly certain it doesn't balance, but would need to look up specific on that control IC to be positive.

With that being said, I'm not sure there's a compelling reason it needs balancing capability. I'm sure Lupine is using well matched cells.
    Last edited by MtbMacgyver; 02-18-2011 at 06:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Lupine's protection PCBs are proprietary and required to work with their chargers. My protection PCB failed so I cut it off, dumped the lupine charger and installed a standard PCB and now balance charge my 2S batteries with my iCharger.

Now all my 2S torches (incl the Lupine) are inter-operable with EC5 connectors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I had read that the pcb's were proprietary so my plan is to put a normal pcb in it's place so i can use one charger for all. Glad to hear that someone has done the same thing with success!!