mtbr member
    May 2010

Luminous DIY 18650 Holder Case?

Like a lot of you, I've got a 4 cell 18650 holder from Luminous DIY

I was wondering what everyone is using to hold the holder? camera case? modified water bottle? custom sewing machine job?

I'm sure there are some well engineered solutions on here, as well as some ugly duckings ;-)

mtbr member
    I guess I was lucky. I already had a little square pouch that was tailor made to fit the holder. It came with one of my other light sets and has a belt loop on one side. Then I took the Velcro strap that came with my Dinotte 600L ( looping it through the belt loop and over the tube ) and used it to mount it to my top tube.

Lately though I have been having some problems with the holder itself. It seems there is a minute amount of room that allows the cells to move a bit. Every once in a while when I mount the holder to my T-tube I don't get any power to my light.
    Basically I have to take it off and mount it again or plug it in and then mount it to make sure it's working right. Once mounted, if it's working it stays working...at least for the time being. I'm not particularly happy about that but since it appears to work without the light flickering or going out all together I suppose I can deal with it.

I've noticed while walking around in Best Buy that they have lots of small camera style cases that look like they might work. Probably a good idea to bring the holder along just to make sure it will fit before buying. You might have a hard time finding a good Velcro strap. The one I use from Dinotte is perfect. It's about an inch and half wide and about 16 inches long and has a small plastic loop on one end. Perfect for a nice tight fit.

PRETENDURO
    I usually solder junctions and connectors between them, then shrinkwrap them. That way, I can recharge them using a standard RC car battery charger (like the ones they tout over at all-battery.com), and switch between the voltage settings on the charger. Series, parallel, and series-parallel, I have three packs in total cobbled together this way.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    DX sell camera bags the right size for those 4 place holders.
    I put the batteries in a plastic ziplock bag then in camera bag and either in jersey pocket, backpack or strap to top tube.

Smaller bags not the biggies.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ireland57
    DX sell camera bags the right size for those 4 place holders.
    I put the batteries in a plastic ziplock bag then in camera bag and either in jersey pocket, backpack or strap to top tube.

Smaller bags not the biggies.
    The ones from Luminous DIY -

look like these ones -

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15290

If that is what you are referring to?

Anyone else using these? I'm looking for a snug fit. Photos?

mtbr member
    Yep, pretty much ....that is similar to what I have. Roughly it is 10.5 cm long by 6.5cm wide and 4.5 cm high.

What I do to mount mine: Like I said before I mount mine to the top tube, very close to the head tube. The light is mounted on the bars. I need about ten inches of wire to reach the lamp plug. The rest of the wire ( there is ample wire with mine ) I stuff into the bag next to the holder. I then mount the bag with the flap side up so it is tucked up and under the top tube. Like I mentioned before, mine has a wide belt type loop that is on the back ( facing the ground now ) . I then thread the Velcro strap through the belt loop and then up and under the cables on my top tube. When it is completely around the bag I thread the Velcro through the loop on the other end of the Velcro and pull it tight. I rotate the bag on the top tube so I can get as much Velcro connected. I pull the reminding Velcro under the cables, rotate the bag back under the top tube and then connect the reminding Velcro. When done it is very snug and there are no loose ends. If you can't get a Dinotte style Velcro strap you should still be able to buy wide Velcro strapping at any hardware store and that should work fine.

Like someone else mentioned, these bags are not waterproof. Wrap the holder in a small plastic bag before putting in the pouch if you think you might see some rain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    + 1.

I have two versions. I didn't realise Luminous sold them as well.

The smaller one (similar to luminous photo) fits them perfectly; room to fit some cable and in a plastic bag; easy to remove battery pack after ride.

The Li-Ion batteries do NOT like water or sweat.
    I've lost a couple now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Why not just solder them together and plasti-dip?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    In the spirit of DIY, I've put had a go at creating my own today, first one, so a bit rough round the edges.

Just loop around the top tube and you are good to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    I'd love to but what do you use to charge them?

The lights I use run at 3 different voltages and battery configurations - 3.7, 7.4, 14.8.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLee
    Like a lot of you, I've got a 4 cell 18650 holder from Luminous DIY

I was wondering what everyone is using to hold the holder? camera case? modified water bottle? custom sewing machine job?

I'm sure there are some well engineered solutions on here, as well as some ugly duckings ;-)
    The DX bag works well, and also fits the 6X compact holder. A 4X fits a tag loose inside, but of you wrap a velcro strap around the whole deal problem solved.

PS, I do plan to have a case for my Luminousdiy holders, when is the unknown, just shifting priorities all the time...sorry. These will be a two piece slip together style that has a contour on one end for fitting against a frame / seat tube.

Have it all lined up, just to preoccupied with other stuff at the moment to pull the trigger. Anyone else interested in such a container?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdnative
    ....( edited ) A 4X fits a tag ( tad ? ) loose inside, but of you wrap a velcro strap around the whole deal problem solved.

PS, I do plan to have a case for my Luminousdiy holders, when is the unknown, just shifting priorities all the time...sorry. These will be a two piece slip together style that has a contour on one end for fitting against a frame / seat tube.

Have it all lined up, just to preoccupied with other stuff at the moment to pull the trigger. Anyone else interested in such a container?
    Yes, the square 4X's do have a mm or 2 of extra room. This causes the cells to slide around a bit if too much pressure is applied to the outside. I'm going to try using some Velcro. If that doesn't work all I have to do is either tape or glue some thin plastic to the inside edges. That should fill the void and stop the problem outright. Regardless, the holder works fine and I am happy to own it. About the last question: sounds interesting. Do you have a proto-type yet?

Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Well...it does kind of defeat the purpose of having a holder. If you build a sealed battery you will have to include a PCB that will balance charge the cells. Not to mention that you will need a charger to charge the battery at the given total voltage ( 14.8 volts in this case ) With a holder all you have to do is take the cells out of the holder and throw them into the separate charging bays and you're good. Not to mention ( although I am ) that you can use the cells for other lights and torches as well...win, win. Not as compact as a sealed battery ( like the Dinottes ) but the slightly bigger size is really not a big issue. (IMO)...
    and if you need new cells, $20 for 4 at D/X.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Well...it does kind of defeat the purpose of having a holder. If you build a sealed battery you will have to include a PCB that will balance charge the cells. Not to mention that you will need a charger to charge the battery at the given total voltage ( 14.8 volts in this case ) With a holder all you have to do is take the cells out of the holder and throw them into the separate charging bays and you're good. Not to mention ( although I am ) that you can use the cells for other lights and torches as well...win, win. Not as compact as a sealed battery ( like the Dinottes ) but the slightly bigger size is really not a big issue. (IMO)...
    and if you need new cells, $20 for 4 at D/X.
    Not to mention how to deal with your soldered and dipped pack of cheap Li-Ions when 1 cell goes bad. Could be mucho work depending on how the pack was constructed prior to dipping.

mtbr member
    Do you have a proto-type yet?
    I do, but isn't the nicest thing to look at. Final will be a nice clean setup that clips together, making it very water resistant. Material will be similar to water bottle plastic, but thicker. The little camera bags have been buggin me for a while as they pick up so much trail dust and get dirty way too easy.

Well...it does kind of defeat the purpose of having a holder. If you build a sealed battery you will have to include a PCB that will balance charge the cells. Not to mention that you will need a charger to charge the battery at the given total voltage ( 14.8 volts in this case ) With a holder all you have to do is take the cells out of the holder and throw them into the separate charging bays and you're good. Not to mention ( although I am ) that you can use the cells for other lights and torches as well...win, win. Not as compact as a sealed battery ( like the Dinottes ) but the slightly bigger size is really not a big issue. (IMO)...and if you need new cells, $20 for 4 at D/X.
    Reasons cell holders are always going to be better than a pack is!! Cells go bad, they just do. Plus as cell tech improves you can easily upgrade for longer burn times.