Thread: Lumicycle Sys3

mtbr member

Lumicycle Sys3

One of my work collegues has the Lumicycle Sys3 led light, he was asking if i could make it any brighter.
    Looking at the optic it appears to be a ledil cute 3, the leds are XRE's.
    The cute 3 for the XPG is the exact same dimensions as the cute 3 XRE optic, so this would be a straight swap.
    My only concern is that the forward voltage for the XRE is 3.7v and the XPG is 3.3 at 1000mA.
    Is a straight swap of the leds going to be a problem?
    I would like to assume the electronics would just supply the correct mA which would give the correct voltage and not cook the leds..(think its called voltage sensing?)
    Does the XPG run hotter or colder than the XRE?

Lumicycle quote for the Sys3 XRE
    Mode Lumens Boost.. 850... High 600... Low 300...
    XPG Estimates
    Mode Lumens.. Boost 1200... High 880... Low 440...

Cheers

mtbr member
    is the new optic and board the same stack height and diameter?
    this would be your only problem

good luck!
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    While you would give it a larger lumen count you may not make it a better light
    as the beam may be a wider one than the triple XRE so negating the extra lumens for down trail throw

It may be a better upgrade to whack in a quad XRE R2 set up with the cute optic.

mtbr member
    I'm with troutie and I am also a great fan of the quad XR-E R2 with cute optic, SS for helmet medium for bar, straight swap too as the dimensions are the same.

You may get better run times with the XP-G's but at the moment the optics are just not working.

I have built a 7up XP-G and the beam is a lot better with the quad XR-E

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO
    is the new optic and board the same stack height and diameter?
    this would be your only problem

good luck!
    I wont know for sure untill i pull it apart, hes a bit hesitant at pulling it apart at the moment because it still has some of the warrenty left.

Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    While you would give it a larger lumen count you may not make it a better light
    as the beam may be a wider one than the triple XRE so negating the extra lumens for down trail throw

It may be a better upgrade to whack in a quad XRE R2 set up with the cute optic.
    Thats a good idea, it never even crossed my mind, i doubt the sys3 electronics will power 4 leds though.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    Thats a good idea, it never even crossed my mind, i doubt the sys3 electronics will power 4 leds though.
    Based on what i know about electronics for LEDs, it will largely depend on the battery voltage. You have a right to be concerned (some electronics can't handle pushing the voltage, even if it is still bucking from the batteries, but this is secondary to battery voltage). It would be easy to mock up with hooking the sys3 driver up to 4 LEDs in series, though.

-Damon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    I wont know for sure untill i pull it apart, hes a bit hesitant at pulling it apart at the moment because it still has some of the warrenty left.

I dont see why not the lumi battery is 14.8 volt li ion ,They also do a 4 led light head and like to keep compatibility through the range ,

and they also like to make a lot of profit so I doubt they will have 2 different drivers between the 3 led and 4 led lights .

Which optic is in the triple if it is a medium then a swop for the narrow might be an option

mtbr member
    just been on their web, yep your right same driver same battery
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    I dont see why not the lumi battery is 14.8 volt li ion ,They also do a 4 led light head and like to keep compatibility through the range ,

and they also like to make a lot of profit so I doubt they will have 2 different drivers between the 3 led and 4 led lights .

Which optic is in the triple if it is a medium then a swop for the narrow might be an option
    Ok that sounds like your using your business head, but yeah it sounds like its probably correct.

He has the flood option as hes not keen on a spot. So using XPG's and a Narrow cute 3 might make an improvement..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have used almost all the combinations of XREs and XPG and 35mm optics in my lights. All the Cute 3/4 optics with XRE, XPE, XPG are drop in swaps. I've also used Khatod PL1152xx quad optics for the XPG, but that does require an alternate shorter front section to account for the shorter stack height.

If you look closely, the red light in the back row has the Khatod quad with the shorter front section. The PCBs with XRE LEDs are white and the XPG PCBs happen to be black. so you can tell which ones have XREs and XPGs by looking at the color you can see through the optic.

The Cute-3-SS-XP optic on the XPG is narrower than the Cute-3-M on the XRE, but not by a huge amount. It's not nearly as narrow Cute-3-SS on the XRE. I really like the beam pattern of the SS on the XPG. I suspect you're right, your friend will probably really like the SS optic and the XPG. It's significantly brighter than the XRE with the medium optic.

mtbr member
    Hi MtbMacgyver,
    Is there any chance you could do some comparison beam shots please of the XRE with cute medium and the XPG with a cute 3-SS-XP please?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't have any beamshots handy, but I should be able to take some later this week.

mtbr member
    I finally upgraded my mates Lumicycle led3 from a tripple XRE to a tripple XML board from cutter and a cute XML-SS optic..
    I wasn't impressed with the ledge that the oring sits on, what happened to a groove for the O-ring to sit in?

Tripple boards, XML on the left and XRE on the right

The old board has this 2 pin connector that plugs into a socket, luckily the cutter tripple boards have the same holes for the twin connectors. So i unsoldered the connector and resoldered it to the XML board.
    The back of the board has a sticky pad for heat transfer to the heatsink

Tripple XML board in the housing

All put together

Does anybody know which part of the socket is the negative and positive? I've got the lumicycle battery but its dead...i havn't got the charger!

mtbr member
    I know that Lumicycle used the opposite polarity to everyone else in the world when they ran NiMh batteries (still have a UK charger for their packs, prob. worthless now ) for some bizarre reason, so there's a good chance it's the same for Li-ion. Try the Singletrack forum (I'd guess there'll be lots of Lumicycle owners on there), if not, give me a buzz and I'll check out what it says on the charger.

oh, nice upgrade too Always a sense of satisfaction to be gained by upgrading an old light to something better!

mtbr member
    Turns out the battery was ok...maybe when i plugged the two pins in i missed the socket as you cant see when you push the board in..

So i desoldered the pins and plugged them into the socket, then slotted the board on and soldered the pins..

All works well.
    Boost mode it only gets warm to the touch in room temp..shame it only runs for 3mins.

Oh and the old XRE optic was a flood, so the beam is pretty much the same with the XML SS optic

mtbr member
    Great thread, and the upgrade path for this light looks really clean, no hacking away to fit stuff. Why does it only run 3 minutes in boost mode, is that a "feature" of the driver?

mtbr member
    Yeah thats a feature of the driver...
    I found the datasheet for it which is based on 3 XRE R2's...
    Boost - 850 lumens - 12.3watts this is also quoted as being driven at 1000mah
    High - 600 lumens - 8.2watts
    Low - 300 lumens - 3.2watts
    Commute - 150 - 0.9watts
    Strobe - 90 - 0.4watts

Is it me of does the boost figures not add up? I hate it when manufactures quote watts for leds.
    Using the cree product characterization tool, 1 XRE R2 at 1000mah is 250.8 lumens
    So thats 750 lumens on boost, I'm assuming high is driven at 700mah which is around 600 lumens for 3 XRE's. With the XML's that gives 900 lumens but at a lower forward voltage, just 2.9 volts per led vs 3.6 for the XRE.

So we get a nice 900 lumens and a longer run time...and it runs a lot cooler

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hi - new to forum, hello.

Been using Lumicycle since the old halogen days. Currently have 2 xpg units (flood, spot) and one xml. Normally put xml on the bar and spot on helmet.

Found this thread and I am very interested in upgrading where possible.

You guys have a lot of knowledge. Please can you tell me what is possible to upgrade:

3 led xgp (first generation from lumi, i think)
    3 led xml (the first xml they did)

Can I fit U2's to these units - or other options.

I have not upgraded lights before (but have a physics degree and can solder a bit) but am ready to have a go, especially if it is as easy as switching the pcb.

Details of suppliers and codes appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help given - days get shorter from here on!