mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Lots of Wilma & ARC beam pics on the trail

I finally had all the oportunity to do a (rather decent) shot session comparing the Wilma and ARC beams. And not only that but much more: I organize a 12 hour race here and this past weekend we had the 12th edition - lots of lights performing in real conditions to see! I had my Lupine and L&M with me and the night before the race I took a ride on the circuit. The moon was full, I had a decent Kodak pro digicam, but somehow the pics were awfull. Iīm not very good as a photographer

Fine, I was planning a second lap anyway. This time I used my cel phone cam and - voilá - the pics were much better. Go figure... Not super, but at least got the job done. I just disabled the flash, no special anything. There were lots of other nice lights at the race, but I was too busy working and the riders too busy racing, so I had no time nor chance to take pics of them in action. Lots of HIDs (Niteriders, Topeaks and even a couple of ARCs) and LEDs (Cygolites, Cateyes).

Just a short story before the pictures:

There were also a Betty 12 and an Edison 10. They belonged to a couple of racers from Portugal who, coincidentally, I picked up at the airport here. We stayed at the same hotel and became friends. I changed the original setup of his Betty (low beam) at his request, and we compared the beams in the room. I loved the Charger One and was further impressed by Lupine care and attention to detail. High quality thoroughout. They let me try their lights, but we didnīt have enough time to take pics on the trail. I was able to ride alongside them for a few times during the race, just to have an idea about the beams, my impressions are at the bottom of this post.

He was impressed with the ARC and found it to be almost as bright as the Edison, but with a nicer, smoother and wider beam. I had the same feeling. The Edison is visibly brighter but not by too much, and it has a regular WA bulb that projects a beam with a darker halo, just like the NRs and Topeaks. Itīs small and compact though, with the fancy Lupine electronics and casing, neat stuff. The Wilma is massive (but not huge), those 7 LEDs look threatening and poised for some action And they are, if you stare at them.

Circuit description:

I took pics on an open (no trees) singletrack and on a "forest singletrack" as well. I had the Wilma on the helmet and the ARC on the bar, thatīs my prefered combination for singletracks and fast situations. The circuit had 10km with 5 stretches of fast, twisty, roller-coaster-style, tree-lined singletrack, very technical stuff. They were linked by more singletrack on open field and some wide, open dirt roads, the kind you can reach high speeds. A couple of creek crossings and the team area, and that was it.

Now, to the pics

Wilma only, full power, open field singletrack: thatīs pretty bright, again the pics wonīt show the real brightness and reach of the beam so itīs just to compare it to other pics and get an idea. There is some nice side spill and this beam reaches pretty far too.

ARC (high): lots of trail detail, very wide too!

ARC + Wilma, low beams (10 and 9W respectively): increased visibility.

ARC + Wilma, full power (13 and 12W respectivelly): whoa! Really, thatīs a lot of light. It washes away some of the trail roughness but that doesnīt really matter nor make a difference, cos itīs so bright (much like a carīs headlight), broad and deep and smooth, you just see everything, everywhere. I could ride as fast as during the day in this setup.

ARC only, full power: the hot spot reaches far down the trail yet thereīs a lot of light to help with the surroundings, especially on this tree-lined singletrack.

ARC (high) + Wilma (60%): Wilmaīs beam fills in where the ARC doesnīt reach, mostly beacause itīs on the bar and the Wilma higher on my helmet.

ARC (high) + Wilma (high): The pic is worse but thereīs a lot more light there. I could ride anything as fast as I would under sunlight. The natural head movement to see the coming obstacles and curves throws the super-bright Wilma beam anywhere I look and that gives plenty of confidence to ride FAST!!!

Now, bit of wildlife: a rattlesnake I came across on a dirt road another day (under Wilmaīs beam).

And the race circus, a few hours before the start (not really related to the topic but...):

Comments about Wilma, Betty, Edison and ARC:

When I rode alongside Ricardo (the racer) on a short uphill and parts of the circuit while he was racing, my Wilma + ARC combined seemed to pump more light than his Betty at full power. And I was riding the ARC on low (10W) and the Wilma on 60% (9W). When I turned both to HIGH, my lights overpowered his by a fair margin, both in width and reach. The hot spot of the ARC is something, but the eveness and quality of the light from the Wilma (and Betty) is amazing.

Of course a Betty + Wilma combo should beat that, but I found the Wilma pretty good compared to Betty. Got very happy about my purchase. Iīd guess, a 2 X Wilma must give perhaps 90% of a Betty + Wilma setup, for a lower cost and marginal lower weight (negligible IMHO). But then, I repeat: I didnīt have the chance to actually try Betty myself. Ricardo shared my opinions for the most part. He too got impressed with the Wilma and especially the ARC. He rode the entire race with the Betty alone and I could see it was him on the circuit when he was coming back to the team area (or anywhere in the circuit), even with the many HIDs and LEDs out there. And he rode FAST!

Sorry for the long post, hope you guys enjoy the pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wonder why some pics look smaller (and therefore much better viewing) than the others. I resized them all to the same definition...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Alex, nice pictures. Your Wilma and ARC combo is pretty focused and will be superbright in the middle. The Betty is brighte than the Wilma but not ridiculosly brighter in the middle It is maybe 20%-30% brighter but spreads that light over a bigger main beam. The Betty/Wilma combo is just awesome. I'll have pics soon. It snowed here so we are avoiding the trails till they are dry (or frozen).

Have fun (or keep having fun) with your nightriding. Thanks again for posting your impressions and the pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks Flyer. I found Betty to be really amazing, and itīs not much bigger or heavier than Wilma (though pricier ). The 7 LED look "mean" sitting there with the ti bezel and all, itīs pure class. And indeed it doesnīt get too hot, I paid attention to that. Itīs one gorgeous lightset!

I guess I switched the high/low beam pics on my post above. I took some notes upon taking the pics but you know... I may have made some confusion. Thereīs not much difference running these lights on high or low anyway. It does get brighter and whiter, enhancing reach mainly, but just a bit.

Iīm pretty happy with the Wilma, the more I use it. After using it with the ARC on the bars a few times, Iīm starting to get accustomed. Now, using only one of them seem like not enough light hehehe... thatīs not a good sign, if you know what I mean (reaching for the credit card here )

Oh, I forgot to mention... I turned all lights on at once for a few minutes, just to enjoy a bit of the most powerfull lightsets around at the moment together hehehehe... what a joy. According to my calculations, that made for ~3.800 lumens. Pretty impressive!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Night riding is so much fun. I'll try to do that every week though it may be tough to once the big snow arrives. That's okay- we can snwoboard and ski till May so I'm not complaining. Night riding has really enhanced mountain biking. As soon as the trals dry (hopefully this week) I'll take some pics.

Enlightened
    Good pics. Just wondering where you are that you guys are still riding? SP as in São Paulo? We don't have rattlesnakes up here in Canada. Gives me goosebumps seeing that!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Great review Alex. I wish I had a camera that would take night shots, but you'd get only road shots from me anyway. I really thought that my 600L complemented the ARC nicely, much more than what I'd expect from having 2 of either light. Something about the different beam patterns or maybe different wavelengths produced from HID and LED. It sounds like you might agree? I can't imagine pairing the ARC w/ the Wilma - and I really don't want to - I've spent way too much money lately.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yes Mudmojo, Sao Paulo Itīs almost summertime here, gets dark by 8PM and when itīs not raining (summer showers mostly) itīs perfect weather for night riding (Flyer, I still envy you guys snowboarding like that hehehe I love snow too).

As for the snake, we get some around here on the trails, especially when itīs dry and warm like this yr, they come out more often. Itīs beautiful. And itīs safe too, theyīre more afraid of us than the other way around

Iīm not afraid but I wonīt really stress them, just a few pics and Iīm off. This one took like 3 or 4 minutes to get off the road. I had to push it so it would not get killed by passing cars or anything (although itīs a rather calm trail, far from the city). Iīll post another pic of a coral (false) I encountered the day before on another trail, close to this one.

Cino, I agree with you. When I purchased the Wilma I was worried that the different colors of light would be a bad thing, but itīs not. At times I think itīs good in fact, as I can differentiate the two beams when riding and use that to my advantage, though they donīt clash. I noticed that LEDs emmit some sort of pulsating light, as opposed to a continuous light output from a gas charged lamp (HID). At least that seemed to be the case with Betty running on lower wattages (the strobing effect is visible when you dim it to 40% and bellow - Betty owners please correct me if Iīm wrong, could be a faulty unit this one I tried).

Not that it makes a difference when riding, as both Betty and Wilma (and I believe to be the case with the 600L and every other LED too) emmit excellent white light in astounding quantities. But maybe that has some relation with the difference in reach and nature of these lights Vs. HIDs.