mtbr member

Looking for drivers

Decided to give making my own light heads a go. But short of buying replacement drivers for Chinese lights or trying to make flashlight drop ins work I have no clue where to look. Info around here is rather dated.

I dont need cheap drivers, don't mind paying for something decent but want to have couple modes, handle 4-6 emitters.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Have a look at taskled:
    TaskLED Home

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Taskled IS the best. Over on the BLF, someone there is doing something called Mobydrv or something like that. I've never used one, but sounds like a decent driver too.

The Chinese drivers are kind of hit and miss. Quality in general sucks and the spec seems to drift. I bought some a while back and found that the output current varied greatly from what was advertised.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Ya except kd2 drivers (which have put up with my modifying abuse mostly) I am skeptical. Basically if I could buy spare drivers for known to be decent lights then ok.

But a driver that allows me to get a bit crazy is awesome. Got more homework to do cause trying to sort out if these drivers are designed to run of momentary switches etc. My electronics knowledge is minimal.

Hopefully the driver on blf is smaller than the task ones (not sure how much they'd charge to assemble one on a oval shaped board). I'm trying to stay minimal internal size on the head, more material for heat managment/fins for external.

Thnx guys, any other places, keep them coming. I have design im working on I want to start soon.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I'd add my vote for TaskLED as the best drivers from a flexibility and quality point of view. I've used them in something like 10 different light builds and they've always exceeded my expectations.

George (the owner) is very responsive to any of my questions and even repaired a driver that I managed to blow up free of charge (just had to pay shipping costs).

The one limiting factor that prevents me using his drivers even more (beyond cost) is, as you've pointed out, the size can be bit too large for certain applications.

If you can make them fit they are definitely the way to go.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    For single or dual LED builds, I like the Lflex from Taskled. 20mm size is pretty easy to fit in a small housing.

This post shows a light I made a couple years ago. The "bump" on top houses the Lflex. This light has ~14 square inches of surface area but is pretty close in size to the kd2 lights you've been working on. I run it at 3.5A all the time.

New helmet light started - Page 4- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Assuming second wire is remote?

And u just answered my other question, good single emitter driver as I want to do a small light weight one for my sons helmet I can run in a 2 cell pack (fenix case maybe). And that one is the right size cause I wanted 20mm, basically make a flashlight without the battery lol, but finned, from 1" round stock. Thnx vanc (scaring me your in my wave length atm lol)

God gotta start a database so I can keep track of everything, trying to adapter my "cordless drill press" (they make them for rotary tools now but this one has a drill chuck built in) to be stiffer, hold me dremel and find a milling plate for it. Plus all this other stuff.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Assuming second wire is remote?

And u just answered my other question, good single emitter driver as I want to do a small light weight one for my sons helmet I can run in a 2 cell pack (fenix case maybe). And that one is the right size cause I wanted 20mm, basically make a flashlight without the battery lol, but finned, from 1" round stock.
    Yes the second cable goes to a remote that is helmet mounted just above my ear. Further down in the thread on that light has a picture of it. Super easy to change modes. Since it is a momentary switch, just a quick slap on the side of the head switches between hi and med.

A 2P battery and a single XML2 running on the Lflex is a nice combination. If you get good heatsinking, you can run 3.5A. You'll need ~10 sq.inches of surface area to make that work with a slight airflow.

P.S. your jumbo adapter has been machined and is in the tumbler at the moment.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 04-06-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: fix typo

mtbr member
    Thnx vanc!

Well I see the joy of remote, can't wait to test. ptt adapter I found of eBay, works awesome and still able to use head button too. Though atm i have it long enough for clipping on my camelbak, but side of helmet makes more sense. Always ride with helmet, mot always with my pack.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My first couple helmet remotes were on a long cable so I could attach to the Camelback strap or just stick it on the jersey or jacket. Didn't like dealing with the extra wire and decided to try the side of helmet location and it works pretty well.