mtbr member
    Jul 2007

looking to buy a 305 Edge, some questions

Hello everybody,

I'm looking to buy an Edge 305 and have a few questions.

Is there anything stopping me using the 305 at night while in bed asleep? I want to graph my resting heart rate.

I only ride at night, can the back light be left on for the whole ride?

thanks,
    Mark

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    On the resting HR while sleeping: Not that I can think of. Your average speed will be pretty slow, though.

On the backlight: I've never tried, honestly. But since it's not a mapping GPS, I'd just tap it when you need to see the light. Once you turn the light on you just tap one of the top buttons and the backlight comes on. Still keeps good battery life that way, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    can anyone confirm the backlight can be left on permanently? The manual doesn't list the avaliable timeouts.

Team Awesome
    I'm pretty sure that the timeout is pre-set. Why would you want it on permanently?

trail rat
    Menu -> Settings -> Display -> Backlight Timeout:
    Stays On
    15 seconds
    20 seconds
    1 minute
    2 minutes

My experience with night riding and 15 seconds timeout, I have the light on maybe 10 times in a 15 mile loop and my battery life is 2 hours compared to about 7 hours with no backlight during the day. I expect you would get maybe an hour with the backlight "Stays On".
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks guys.

I only ride at night, and at the moment I can't ride for more then an hour here due to lack of fitness coupled with the very steep terrain, so 1 hrs run time is probably okay. I'll have to try it and see.

thanks for taking the time to answer my questions,

Mark

tiny rider
    You can extend run times with an external battery. I've used a little Energizer cell-phone charger that takes 2 AA batteries (rechargable if you want) and plugs into the USB port. GEOMAN also markets something similar which also charges the batteries when powered itself; this sounds pretty slick (http://geomangear.com/).

I haven't used the backlight in a riding situation, so can't tell you how long it would work or how easy the Edge is to read in the dark. You can adjust the light level to match whatever your trail lighting is, though, so it would probably suit you.

And yes, as mentioned, you can use it inside.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by link1896
    Is there anything stopping me using the 305 at night while in bed asleep? I want to graph my resting heart rate.
    You'd have to make sure you don't have autostart/stop on, I'd think. Otherwise it won't record because you won't be moving. Otherwise, seems like it should work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks for the help guys, it's on its way.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    You can extend run times with an external battery. I've used a little Energizer cell-phone charger that takes 2 AA batteries (rechargable if you want) and plugs into the USB port. GEOMAN also markets something similar which also charges the batteries when powered itself; this sounds pretty slick (http://geomangear.com/).

I haven't used the backlight in a riding situation, so can't tell you how long it would work or how easy the Edge is to read in the dark. You can adjust the light level to match whatever your trail lighting is, though, so it would probably suit you.

And yes, as mentioned, you can use it inside.

Enjoy.

Our customer feedback on the Tekkeon myPowergo is great so far.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com