Gears, beers and slices..

Looking for beamshots of the Nite Hawk K2 Emitter

Just curious...I read about how powerful it was in a 2007 review, and it piqued my interest as a spot light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale
    Just curious...I read about how powerful it was in a 2007 review, and it piqued my interest as a spot light.
    Go to the review section and read the review by the guy from Columbia, Md. (me). In a nut shell, it sucked. I will note though, I would like to see someone retro-fit a higher power LED and driver with in the NH K-2 light head. With a Seoul P-4 , Cree Q5 or R-2 I bet it would rock.

That's funny. The 2007 GearReview.com light shootout talked about how powerful it was, and how it projected a spot further than any other light. I was just curious to see what that looked like. I've got a friend interested in picking one up, but I've never seen a beam shot.

Myself, I'm a happy owner of a Dinotte 600/200 combo. I'm trying to convince him to pick it up, but he wants to try something different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Tell your friend not to bother with the K2 Emitter. I have the unit in hand, it's the same brightness as my Seoul p4 u-bin LED flashlight.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Its a very narrow spot...like a 5 degree.... its good for illuminating stopsigns 500 meters away... but rather useless to actually ride with unless its to backup something else. I think the output is in reality around 100 lumens. If you used it in concert with say, a 5W halogen flood, it might be adequate for a commuter light.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I own a helmet mount and the double bar mount versions of the Nitehawk K2 Emitter.
    (got them really, really, really cheap).

The K2 Emitter (although not really a K2) is a huge improvement over the AL-X version but still not all that great.
    With the three light combo it is functional for offroad use but very spotty.

Comparing it to my current set up of a helmet mounted Lupine Wilma and a bar mounted Betty... HA!

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Well, that's pretty much a consensus opinion. Sounds like a definite "do not consider."

It's great to hear real world opinions, but it also goes to show you how misleading reviews can be be, since the 2007 GearReview recommended it as a great standalone helmet light. According to them, it beat out such lights as the Dinotte 3W and the MiNewt.

It's good to hear some real opinions though...thanks guys.

Enlightened
    Stay away. My friend has the dual combo of these and I could hardly see squat when I rode his bike. They are simply not cut out for the job.

Funny, because NiteHawk claims the single is equivalent to a 40W light. Sounds like thats just a wee bit of an exageration.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    I would like to see someone retro-fit a higher power LED and driver with in the NH K-2 light head. With a Seoul P-4 , Cree Q5 or R-2 I bet it would rock.
    I'd love to upgrade my K2 Emitters to find out how much better they could be... but I don't think I'm savy enough to complete the task properly.

Has anyone tried to upgrade them yet?

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale
    Well, that's pretty much a consensus opinion. Sounds like a definite "do not consider."

It's great to hear real world opinions, but it also goes to show you how misleading reviews can be be, since the 2007 GearReview recommended it as a great standalone helmet light. According to them, it beat out such lights as the Dinotte 3W and the MiNewt.

It's good to hear some real opinions though...thanks guys.
    So much has changed since then.

Heck, I wrote that and don't recommend them now. Shortly after that review went live (nearly a year and a half ago) the LED efficiency went bonkers. That light can't hold a candle to what's currently available.