Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

Looking for a 35mm housing

OK, so I'm itching to build up a new light. Just recently received my order of neutral tint 3up XML 34mm boards and Cute-3-SS XML optics from Cutter. Driver would be H6flex and batteries will likely be 14.8v lipo. Only one small problem... I have no idea what to do for a suitable housing and I have zero access to milling equipment so I can only drool over the some of the jewel like creations I've seen here.

Anyone know of a DIY 35mm (MR11) housing I could buy or perhaps commission someone to build?

mtbr member
    Depends on what sort of a rush you are in .
    I have just ordered some ali bar to do some prototyping a bit like this one

but with easter it wont get here till thursday / friday
    I am happy to do you one if you can wait a couple of weeks ish .

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    When my 3up xm-l Cutter board comes in I will be using this as my housing, http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...270&top_cat=60

I will cut the AL tube to form a u-shaped piece to mount the led board to. (Will be about 1.375" tall or about 32mm) This piece will be mounted to the bottom inside of the light using Arctic Silver epoxy. The H6cc driver is be mounted near the back of the light & not on the u-shaped piece.

The light will be about 4" long. The lexan lens cover will siliconed to front end & a thin piece of aluimnum or plastic will be epoxied to the rear where the cable gland & power cord will exit the light.

Anyway thats the plan as of now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How bout one of these at Cutter, from Niteliting NZ

Think they run at $100, not sure on the dissapating the heat of 3 xmls tho?

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut779

Anyone used one??

Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Depends on what sort of a rush you are in .
    I have just ordered some ali bar to do some prototyping a bit like this one

but with easter it wont get here till thursday / friday
    I am happy to do you one if you can wait a couple of weeks ish .
    Troutie, thank you very much for your kind offer! No real big rush really, just that I have the parts and they are bugging me not being put to good use. Let me know how you'd prefer to be contacted (PM, email) and we can work out the details.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by stu44

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut779

Anyone used one??
    Yeah, I did look at those housings and had the same concern about being able to handle the heat of 3xXMLs considering that they were designed back in the day of XRE LEDs. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used this housing with a 2000-3000 lumen LED array.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stu44

Anyone used one??
    I have one with a quad XRE which is about to get a triple XML fitted. Direct from Nightlightning it was about 80US$.
    Theres lots of cooling there, but I only run it at 500mA (dyno powered).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Nightlighing Housinghas undergone some changes, see photo below, includes screw on front, improved barrel design
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

mtbr member
    Will the nightlighning housing fit the quad xpg MR-11 board with all optics available from cutter? I have the quad narrow for XRE cutter 4N and the quad XPG GT4 optics and there is a considerable difference in size between the two....

Also just noticed that there is an updated housing with a screw on front cap....How do you know which version you are getting when you order one?
    Last edited by bncrshr77; 04-28-2011 at 01:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    We recommend you use an alum slug/spacer to raise the height of the PCB if you use the GT4 Optics
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

Rep Power Infinity +2
    My housing as seen below handles 3 xml's at 3000mA. It does get hot but as long as I am moving is fine. Also since I never run full power when going slow it is not a problem therefore I can't see why the cutter housing will not handle the heat.

My housing is 40mm diameter and about 80mm long an uses the triple 35mm diameter xre optic, and it pumps out a ridiculous amount of light at 2800ma

mtbr member
    Brad72....Where did you get the housing?

Rep Power Infinity +2
    knocked it up on the lathe. You can see the build in this post XML Build

Carbon8er
    I have hundreds of 35mm Marwi housings.

$5 and $6 each all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by El34
    I have hundreds of 35mm Marwi housings.

$5 and $6 each all day long.
    Can the Marwi housings properly dissipate the heat generated by a 2000-3000 lumen 3up XML light engine?

Rep Power Infinity +2
    When choosing a housing one of the biggest issues you will find is that if it cannot remove the heat generated from the leds, the driver (if fitted within the housing) will keep tripping on thermal overload and therefore keep dimming you light.

This might not be an issue if you are riding out in the snow where the housing is freezing cold but over here in Australia it is a real problem, therefore you need to be able to keep the driver cool, or you will get about 5 minutes in high, then the light will dim. One option is to have the driver in it's own heatsinked puck that is separate to the housing.

As George from Taskled has said the thermal overload is mainly to protect the expensive driver, and not the leds. We Know the leds can handle 100c plus but that temp would fry your driver. In saying that, as your leds get hotter, so does their light output so it is in your best interest to keep them as cool as possible.
    Last edited by brad72; 05-05-2011 at 04:48 PM.

mtbr member
    You wont get a H6Flex in the Marwi case and from my playing it certainly wont handle the heat from a triple xml at full throttle .

My metals on order came in yesterday if you want me to hack you something out .

www.hahntronix.com
    For an uber cheap 35 mm housing, try some 1.5 inch aluminum tube with 0.062 inch wall thickness. It comes out at just about 35 mm. I've found 1.375 inch copper washers that you can press fit into the tubing. Slime some artica alumina epoxy (AA) on the tubing wall before pushing in the washer, and you seem to get pretty good thermal conduction between the washer and tubing. Glue your star (or 3 up LED board in your case) to the washer. You can add multiple washers with a bit of AA in between if you feel one washer isn't enuff.

I pre-drill the washers for LED wires. Depending on how your LED board is laid out you might just be able to run wires thru the central hole of the washer. You can glue the driver to the back of the washer to insure it gets an accurate temperature reading of the LED. I never used a Bflex, since I like torturing myself designing my own drivers

Above photo is of a single MCE which was quite happy in the simple housing running at up to 10 watts. I used anodized tubing because it looked nicer, but regular tubing works fine, and with a bit of sanding looks pretty nice as well.

For a mounting hole, I used a rivet nut.

You can plug the back with a standard tubing cap, or just seal the back with epoxy.

You might need to add fins if your going to run 3 XMLs at 3 amps each.

A suitable sized pipe cutter, a hand drill, a rivet nut press and a file or 2 are about the only tools you'll need. You can buy all of them from harbor freight for less than $100 in the US.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    I'm up for making some housings if people are interested..

meep meep !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    I'm up for making some housings if people are interested..
    That sounds interesting to me.

Have you got any design drawings of what it might look like yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Runner

I'm open to ideas, so if you want to provide a drawing I can work with that..
    The only drawings I have are for the 4 different housing I've posted on mtbr..
    It doesn't have to be a 35mm housing either, but I would need accurate measurements of components especially the optics..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Runner

design drawing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb

design drawing.
    I've got a few sketches on envelopes.

meep meep !!!
    Golly it looks like the forum has been invaded by the Ribena berries now.

Ok, how about "graphic images of the proposed product" then?

And for GD, I'll get back to you about ideas for the housing later in the week, thanks mate.

mtbr member
    I find drawings help eliminate on the fly machining mistakes. Like when you bore out a hole a bit deeper and then notice swarf coming out the side of your housing, because you've just milled into the channel of a cooling fin..
    No names of course Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast