Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Long way round

mtbr member

Long way round

Ok as it is so quiet tonight I thought I would try and get some feedback for my "lomg way round" light. Well it isn't quite a light yet just a housing.

I have plenty of lights but fancied going back to small battery pack, longer run times, lighter wieght and just less faff.

So when I read Trouties Regina reflector thread I thought may have a go and then I read brad72's thread I just had to have a go at the spikey look but a bit smaller as it would be for just 2 Reginas.

Thread here : Latest Build - Triple XPG plus XPE spot

anyway made a complete mess of it as you will see in brads thread but didn't want to start again.

The reason I would like some feedback is really to get opinions of what to do next whist I wait for the reflectors to turn up as there won't be anything left of it if I tinker any more.

I would also like to hear views on using a remote switch, I like the thought of being able to put the switch at fingers reach, be it on the hemet or bar. But in the end do they end up being just more faff to mount and remove? I may have no option though due to lack of space.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long way round-broughtback.jpg  

Long way round-broughtback2.jpg  

Long way round-broughtback3.jpg  

Last edited by yetibetty; 06-16-2010 at 07:53 PM.

help with the zip please
    Nice looking light.

No advice, 'cause it looks good to me, just a question, are those "round bottom fins" I see?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty

The reason I would like some feedback is really to get opinions of what to do next whist I wait for the reflectors to turn up as there won't be anything left of it if I tinker any more.

I would also like to hear views on using a remote switch, I like the thought of being able to put the switch at fingers reach, be it on the hemet or bar. But in the end do they end up being just more faff to mount and remove? I may have no option though due to lack of space.
    Anodize it!!!
    Seriously, the light body looks great.
    Issues are the usual.
    You made a seriously small light, so where to put the switch?
    I prefer the switch on the light itself. Usually on top since most of my lights are helmet based. Two Regina reflectors will surely be a helmet light.

If the rear chamber is too shallow for a switch/driver then the remote switch would make the most sense.

Some like the remote switch. To me it's just more bits to attach, find room for, snag on tree branches.............

Great light design though. Keep up the great work.
    Last edited by odtexas; 06-09-2010 at 06:50 PM.

mtbr member
    are those "round bottom fins" I see?
    Yep, nice and round!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Anodize it!!!
    Seriously, the light body looks great.
    Issue are the usual.
    You made a seriously small light, so where to put the switch?
    I prefer the switch on the light itself. Usually on top since most of my lights are helmet based. Two Regina reflectors will surely be a helmet light.

If the rear chamber is too shallow for a switch/driver then the remote switch would make the most sense.

Some like the remote switch. To me it's just more bits to attach, find room for, snag on tree branches.............

Great light design though. Keep up the great work.
    odtexas, thanks for the reply. That's what I keep thinking about an external switch, just more wires, I may have to try and fit a button from a mouse to the back.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Beautiful light and you said it was stuffed. Like any artist you were just building on the initial idea,

Have to agree that anodizing would look great, I am tossing up the DIY route.

As for the switch if you are using the bflex then just use the button off the PCB. All you need then is a waterproof button cover thingy and your done.

Again beautiful work...how many hours out of curiosity

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I prefer the switch to be remote from the light. It is a bit more gear and adds weight though. It also is another small fiddly part to make. IMO it is more important to have the remote switch for the bar light. If you meet an oncoming trail user, you can dim the bar light quickly and just turn your head slightly to avoid blinding them with the helmet light.

What driver are you planning to use? If a bflex is the choice, you might try doing an integral switch along the lines of how I have done on the light covered in this thread....

5 cell 18650 holder

Your housing is quite nice! I have used a cutter on my last couple housings called a keyseat cutter in the US. I use this to "undercut" areas that are not critical dimensions and are just excess metal. This helps get some weight out of the housing.

The area between the bores for the reflectors was cut out with this type of tool as was the o-ring groove that retains the reflector cover and seals the front in this pic.

mtbr member
    It looks like half a Harley V-twin motor, you should call it the Electra-Lite. Then if you anodised it blue it would be the Electra-Lite in Blue.

mtbr member
    Ok I'm going to put it back in tne lathe yet again and bore the back out a little deeper, then I think I could just about use the bFlex switch.

Brad72, so far I have spent about four hours in dribs and drabs.

vancbiker, I too use one of those cutters however I only have a lathe and a little milling slide attached so don't want to remove any more 'till I have received the reflectors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You guys are insanely talented.

mtbr member
    Ive got the same BBQ as you do!!

Nice housing by the way!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    You guys are insanely talented.
    Thanks but I think that in my case I'm just insane

I had to have a chuckle when I put it next to the first light that I ever made ( back in the old days when LEDs were new)

To think I had trouble finding room for the switches in that too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long way round-old-new.jpg  

Long way round-old-new2.jpg  

One Gear
    That is some remarkable progress! Keep up the good work. I could see a helmet with a couple of them on top.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Put the switch on top right were the Bflex meets the lights. You only need the surface area to mount the pic for heat managment and as long as the LED's are mounted to aluminum directly behind the LED you should be ok as far as a thermal path.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. I have got this thing up and running (Switch hanging out the back for now)and took it out in the dark to get the idea of the beam.

I like it!!!! but it is very obviouse that it would be helmet use only. So as it will be permanently attached to a helmet mount then I may as well build the switch into the helmet mount.

For the roadies a twin Regina light could make a great bar mounted road light.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005

For the roadies a twin Regina light could make a great bar mounted road light.
    How would you compare the beam-pattern to MC-E with Boomerang?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    Sorry can't answer that as I've never seen one.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty much done for now. will just get me a cheap helmet mount from Halfords (the same one as OverTheHill has used)and mount the switch to that.

I have to say that I nearly lost the will to live whilst adapting the reflectors to fit the 10 mm square boards but I didn't want to wait weeks for some round boards.

Some pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long way round-pain.jpg  

Long way round-getting-there.jpg  

Long way round-done.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langen

If you want a far reaching beam with little spill so as not to annoy oncoming traffic then the regina is Ace
    if you want a flood beam out to about 35 mtrs then the MCE on a boom is good .

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Sounds like Ledil has to make a medium and/or wide version as well!

mtbr member

Now with switch

Quick update now that it's finished.

I have at long last managed to fit a switch to this thing. I unsoldered one from an old dumped video recorder and it is tiny when put next to the bFlex one, I also used the rubber button cover from the VCRs remote control.

Went for it's first real ride last night and I'm very pleased with how much throw you get from just 2 LEDs and there is also a nice amount of spill so as not to be too tunnel vision like.

I must admit that this was a real pain to build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long way round-tightsqeeze.jpg  

Long way round-alldone.jpg  

Long way round-alldone2.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by yetibetty; 07-05-2010 at 10:52 AM.

help with the zip please
    Quick update now that it's finished.

I must admit that this was a real pain to build.

Ah, but it looks the goods, well done

more carbon=more awesome
    Nice job mate. It's hard to tell just how small it is in a lot of the photos. Are you now planning your next build, or are you satiated for the moment?

b.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Thanks emu26

bsharrard thanks, it isn't actually that small and could have been smaller with optics and a smaller driver. The Regina reflectors are quite deep plus the need for a front glass and something to hold that on too and you end up with quite a deep light.

I had an old bFlex that had been soldered and unsoldered so many times from other projects over the years that I wanted to give a permanent home as I didn't think it could take any more soldering and I ended up having to solder a couple of wires directly to components on the board (don't tell George).

No light building for a while as this one done my head in.
    Last edited by yetibetty; 07-05-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    That is some fantastic workmanship. Now you can stop machining and designing in your sleep

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast