giddy up

Lithium Batteries

This question has probably been asked many times but was wondering what the effects are on leaving the batteries outside (car or garage for extended periods of time) when its gets cold? Does it decrease the battery life or any other type of damaging effects like that?

By the way, if you're in the market for lights, you gotta check out the Minewt's. I'm running the duals on the bar and the single on the helmet. You just can't beat the set up for the price. I ride deep in the forest and the Led's give the perfect beam and allow me to ride with confidence.

Thanks in advance.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    This question has probably been asked many times but was wondering what the effects are on leaving the batteries outside (car or garage for extended periods of time) when its gets cold? Does it decrease the battery life or any other type of damaging effects like that?

By the way, if you're in the market for lights, you gotta check out the Minewt's. I'm running the duals on the bar and the single on the helmet. You just can't beat the set up for the price. I ride deep in the forest and the Led's give the perfect beam and allow me to ride with confidence.

Thanks in advance.
    You may just want to google that, or go to the website of one of the major Li-ion manufacturers to see what they say...

I understand that they are best stored in cooler temperatures but not sub zero celcius. The beer fridge may be ok ...

Don't go below -20 C. Partial charge is best as well - say 40%.

This is different for other chemistries...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lithium battery storage

I searched this when I got my lithium battery about a year ago. The information I found stated that these batteries last longest when stored @ 50% charge, and kept close to, but above freezing. I put mine in the refrigerator after using and then recharge right before using.

DFH

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    http://gretnabikes.com/Battery_Care.asp

Follow the link. This is what I reccomend to people with similar questions.

mtbr member
    I have taken my Cell phone with me skiing and by lunch time it was dead from a full charge that morning. A friend told me that the phone was probably searching for service the whole time and thatís what caused it to die fast. So the next time I turned it off and took it on the sloops. At lunch time I turned it on and it was dead again. Its worked fine ever since. I attribute the dead battery to the extreme cold.
    Has anyone who uses Lithium batteries for there bike had this problem???

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdawg
    I have taken my Cell phone with me skiing and by lunch time it was dead from a full charge that morning. A friend told me that the phone was probably searching for service the whole time and thatís what caused it to die fast. So the next time I turned it off and took it on the sloops. At lunch time I turned it on and it was dead again. Its worked fine ever since. I attribute the dead battery to the extreme cold.
    Has anyone who uses Lithium batteries for there bike had this problem???
    Actually, Lithiums are supposed to stand up to the cold better than most other types, from what I recall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sorry, no facts here, just my observations of the Li-ion battery in my Sony digital camera.
    It *really* doesn't like cold weather.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by achesalot
    Actually, Lithiums are supposed to stand up to the cold better than most other types, from what I recall.
    You are actually mixing Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries with Lithium Primaries (non rechargeable)

Li-ion's suffer from cold almost as much as Alcaline cells.

NiMH rechargeable batteries are a bit better in cold than Li-Ion for example, but still not comparable to Lithium primaries.

Stefan

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sstefanov
    You are actually mixing Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries with Lithium Primaries (non rechargeable)

Li-ion's suffer from cold almost as much as Alcaline cells.

NiMH rechargeable batteries are a bit better in cold than Li-Ion for example, but still not comparable to Lithium primaries.

Stefan
    You are correct. Now that I recall, it was Energizer AA Lithium cells that will stand up to -40F supposedly, not Li-Ion. (Although the poster did say Lithium, he probably meant Li-Ion.)

Singletrack Daydreamer
    One of my 24 hour racing nightmares was at Snow Mountain Ranch in 2005 when it got down below freezing overnight. I was using nicads at the time and my batteries that normally lasted 2:15 died at about 90 minutes, halfway through my second lap.

I haven't had the same experience with my lithiums, but ever since then I've been very careful to keep my helmet battery in a jersey pocket to help keep it warm. In any event, the loss of battery life was not permanent and I've heard similar things about cold storage as cited above.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!