mtbr member

Lights than can handle rough riding

Is there such thing? I had bought some front/rear lights. Took the bike out for a night test drive. Not even twenty minutes in to it, the headlight bracket snapped. I'm sure it has to do w/ being a plastic bracket. But, are there any trail worthy lights than can handle vibration?

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauge
    Is there such thing? I had bought some front/rear lights. Took the bike out for a night test drive. Not even twenty minutes in to it, the headlight bracket snapped. I'm sure it has to do w/ being a plastic bracket. But, are there any trail worthy lights than can handle vibration?
    The Dinottes are machined from a single piece of 6061 aircraft aluminum.

Their mount is something you won't find anywhere else too.

Take a look.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    The Dinottes are machined from a single piece of 6061 aircraft aluminum.

Their mount is something you won't find anywhere else too.

Take a look.
    +1 on the Dinottes.

In addition to the comments above they are really durable for a number of additional reasons.

1. The mount is very secure. Add to the fact that the lights are very small and light. Heck you could even wrap a zip tie around the whole thing and they would never come off.

2. LED. Good shock resistant bulb.

-D

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    What kind of lighting are you after (price / performance / type of riding), and what light did you have that failed?

While LED based lights are undeniably more robust, in reality both Halogen and HID are fine too. The issue sounds like it’s more your mounting system then the light source though.

Dave.

mtbr member
    My first mistake was getting a quick fix for lights; getting Walmart Bell issue headlight/taillight. I wasn't even on a rough road; hell, I only had the lights on the bike for not even 20 minutes and they snapped. So I would definitely be in the market for something less plastic. But, I don't want a welter weight light. LOL

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    We ride our dh trails all the time with our Lupine lights. No problems there. I could ride the gnarliest of trails, and the light stays put. Simple mount, but it works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    +1 for Dinotte.

MTB B'dos
    Sounds like you bought a $10 light and sadly you aren't going to get much of anything for that. The lights all these guys are talking about are well over $200 US. Personally HID's are great, but mounted on the handlebar they colour shift on rough stuff - The colour shifting is solved if you use a helmet mount. Best advice is to look for a good cateye light at an actual cycle shop and not wally world.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Sounds like you bought a $10 light and sadly you aren't going to get much of anything for that. The lights all these guys are talking about are well over $200 US. Personally HID's are great, but mounted on the handlebar they colour shift on rough stuff - The colour shifting is solved if you use a helmet mount. Best advice is to look for a good cateye light at an actual cycle shop and not wally world.

FYI, the Dinotte 200L is $149.99.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    y7eah, i am looking more towards the helmet mount light for the sake of being able to see where i am actually looking as oppsed to where the bike can see going in a straight line.

Enlightened
    Personally HID's are great, but mounted on the handlebar they colour shift on rough stuff - The colour shifting is solved if you use a helmet mount.
    Production bicycle HID's colour shift? As in successive quick hot restrikes because of power disruption? I have not heard of this before.

I am looking for a similar item as the OP... a light bright enough for commuting (read: good enough to be seen) but nowhere near the light amount required for offroading (read: good enough to see) that will not snap off at the first 10G spike while offroading even though it is not in use.

I have previously used a Princeton Tec EOS as my front commuter and that light would fly off all the time when offroading especially when landing jumps.

Who are the brain police?
    L&M Vega sounds just like what you're after.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

MTB B'dos
    Was explained once, something about the light actually being "lit" and bumps cause it to "out" to a degree which causes colour shifts. It has been said that if you hit it hard enough you'd make it go out completely, but I never have - it's just a little distracting when riding down the trail, best solution is to use HID's on the helmet and LED/Halogen on the bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmojo
    Production bicycle HID's colour shift? As in successive quick hot restrikes because of power disruption? I have not heard of this before..
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Enlightened
    Was explained once, something about the light actually being "lit" and bumps cause it to "out" to a degree which causes colour shifts. It has been said that if you hit it hard enough you'd make it go out completely, but I never have - it's just a little distracting when riding down the trail, best solution is to use HID's on the helmet and LED/Halogen on the bars.
    Don't know if you're alluding to this phenomena being universal and symptomatic of all HID systems but I'd like to think it's a result of snowball sampling as they said back in stats class.

Was it one of the first gen TrailTech HID systems? They had a whack of early ballast issues.

To me, it sounds like it could definitely be poor manufacturing (intrinsic design flaws & bad ballast tolerances)

and/or

faulty quick release battery/ballast connector plugs (hobby plugs not always a good idea)

and/or

poor regulation/undergauged wires leading to fried copper wires underneath rubber sheathing (best to use automotive wires for proven heat/flame tolerance)

and/or

bad relays (or no relays at all)

and/or

bad switches (environmentally contaminated/not maintained)

IMO, a light system is only as field worthy as its weakest link but manufacturer shortcuts are not always obvious to the casual observer. I would not want to be anywhere near an HID system that exhibits the qualities you just described.

GeoMan
    Reliability is probably just as important as lumens... IMHO.

Great thread!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

MTB B'dos
    Well it's NR Enduro HID and I've read several people mention all different types of brands exhibiting this behavior.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mortman
    Aug 2006

Turbo Cat Light Set

Check out: www.turbocatusa.com

I have had a set of Turbo Cats for 2 years. Couple night crashes and they still work like new. I have seen other systems used by others, but I still really like my TurboCat set.

Two years later.....still well worth the money.

They usually only sell though dealer/shops so you may have to find one.

Good Luck!
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I got lucky and bought a Turbocat S47 new for half price. As soon as I picked up the light head, I could see and feel that this light is very high quality. And bright, WOW!!

Only weakness I found is the Battery is only a 2.5Ah. Ordered a second battery through Batteryspace, 13.2v 5Ah for a longer run time. Original battery is NiCad 13.2v 2.5Ah. Nice to have a back up now.

MB

GeoMan
    Well it's NR Enduro HID and I've read several people mention all different types of brands exhibiting this behavior.
    Commonly known, this is one of the shortcomings of HID (though I've never ridden with anything but LED...).

Everyone has their own lighting preferences. Seems the HID companies do very well which must speak highly of their performance and customer satisfaction, overall.

We're now selling the Lupine Wilma 6 which, at 830 lumens, is a VERY bright LED cycling light with the benefits of LED technology (reliability and weight, to name two). Alas, they are expensive but it seems all really bright lights are.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    +1 for Dinotte.