Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Lights shootout comments

Please check it for accuracy and typos. I'd like to announce the shootout today. I'm planning to publish a couple light articles a day starting tomorrow as the page formatting progresses.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/lights-...-introduction/

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great start, francois. However, you are such a tease..

mtbr member
    Suggested changes to one paragraph of the article:

"With the combination of LEDs, lithium batteries, better electronics and chargers, this new crop of lights promises to deliver a much better and safer night riding experience."

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Yeah... I have dual, side by side beam pattern rollovers even. Super geeky!

I'll send you a secret link to the beam pattern shots since you are one of the premier contributors here and I could use the feedback.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It would be a pleasure to help, francois. You have transcended basic beamshots- that's very impressive.

mtbr member
    Looks really interesting - I am clicking on everything in there to find comparisons on a Jet 20W VS Niterider HID VS Lupine Betty........

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Please check it for accuracy and typos. I'd like to announce the shootout today. I'm planning to publish a couple light articles a day starting tomorrow as the page formatting progresses.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/lights-...-introduction/

fc

mtbr member
    Looking good. I won't check for typos, because that would be asking a fish to walk on land. But the info is good - I don't necessarily agree with everything, but there's nothing I would object to (and if we all thought the same, then we should have had world peace by now). Great work!

Cheers,

Tom

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Hi Flyer,

I agree about the tease part! That said, it's all great information and I'm anxious to see more of it.

Thanks,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

dweeby
    Love it, Very interesting reading and I'm glad DIY lights will be encluded.
    One small thing though, leds are chips and not bulbs.

mtbr member
    we're very, very excited about this test. Thanks a ton!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's looking really good with clean page-layout and very effective writing. I'll check back each day for new reviews.

By the way, a LED used in bike lights is contained within a bulb. There is a chip (Light Emitting Diode) contained within the bulb. So the use of the word "lamp" or "bulb" is still accurate though the LED itself is not a bulb. It is a diode that emits light when "powered up" in a circuit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm eager to read more reviews. Can you please put the "Light Price Claimed Lumens" data in a table so it is more readable?

swag ho Administrator
    Knog is up. Flyer... proofread pls.

fc
    IPA will save America

Team Hammer
    Jan 2007
    No Princeton Tech Lights to be compared?
    Get 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order by clicking here.
    Check out my blog at SquidBuzz's Garage

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SquidBuzz
    No Princeton Tech Lights to be compared?
    These are coming. 2 models arriving today...

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Suggestions:

In the first paragraph, instead of simply saying, "a nice lighthead.", I think you should be more specific, saying something like "It features a nicely styled, single lighthead with three LEDs."

Second paragraph -- instead of, "Each of the three LEDs come with their own switch that operates independently.", it should read, "Each of the three LEDs comes with its own switch that operates independently."

Maybe you could be more descriptive of the materials too. Is that an anodized aluminum front bezel? Is the back molded of solid plastic with a rubbery feel? That integrated rubbery band can be a plus and a minus.

In the Bottom Line section -- instead of, "Thereís a lot of light levels and the flash mode works well for commuters. But on the trail, itís not quite bright enough and some usability issues hold it back. The amount of light the rider gets for the money is not very high. Also, some of the design issues like the switch hold back its trail usability.", try the following, "There are lots of light levels and the flash mode works well for commuters. But on the trail, itís not quite bright enough and some usability issues hold it back. The amount of light the rider gets for the money is not very high. Also some of the design issues, like the switches, limit its trail usability."

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by striegel
    Suggestions:

In the first paragraph, instead of simply saying, "a nice lighthead.", I think you should be more specific, saying something like "It features a nicely styled, single lighthead with three LEDs."

Second paragraph -- instead of, "Each of the three LEDs come with their own switch that operates independently.", it should read, "Each of the three LEDs comes with its own switch that operates independently."

Maybe you could be more descriptive of the materials too. Is that an anodized aluminum front bezel? Is the back molded of solid plastic with a rubbery feel? That integrated rubbery band can be a plus and a minus.

In the Bottom Line section -- instead of, "Thereís a lot of light levels and the flash mode works well for commuters. But on the trail, itís not quite bright enough and some usability issues hold it back. The amount of light the rider gets for the money is not very high. Also, some of the design issues like the switch hold back its trail usability.", try the following, "There are lots of light levels and the flash mode works well for commuters. But on the trail, itís not quite bright enough and some usability issues hold it back. The amount of light the rider gets for the money is not very high. Also some of the design issues, like the switches, limit its trail usability."
    Beauty. I will incorporate these changes.

I'll also add in my light meter readings. At first, I thought they're not relevant until the full set is presented but I can sa it was nth out 25. And state what was right in front of it and behind it in terms of brightness.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Prefer responses via PM, email, or this thread? I emailed you already.

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    All I can say is ....hurry! I'm waiting to see the results before pulling the trigger on new lights!

The bike light manufacturing industry had better take notice of this shootout and use it as a way to improve their products. If they don't, they my be left in the dark!
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

swag ho Administrator
    Prefer responses via PM, email, or this thread? I emailed you already.
    Please PM it to me or post it here. My email is broke! Big norcal storm.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Correction to latest edit:

"...into the light headThe first two LEDs..." needs a period and space after head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You should put them each on their own page, or you should at least provide links with anchors in the page. Otherwise it will take a lot of scrolling to get where you want to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also, I'm not sure I undestand this part in the Ayup review:

"Light Output Measurements:

The narrow helmet mount measured a 16 and the wider bar light measured a 17. The closest competitors are the Knog 605 at 16 and the Exposure Race Maxx at 24."

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    You should put them each on their own page, or you should at least provide links with anchors in the page. Otherwise it will take a lot of scrolling to get where you want to be.
    done! good suggestion.

fc
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Also, I'm not sure I undestand this part in the Ayup review:

"Light Output Measurements:

The narrow helmet mount measured a 16 and the wider bar light measured a 17. The closest competitors are the Knog 605 at 16 and the Exposure Race Maxx at 24."
    That's 16 Lux. I have a page dedicated just for the light meter test but it's not ready yet. Here's a sneak peak.

The light is pointed at the ceiling and the meter is beside it, pointed up as well.

Here's the preliminary results. The Jet Halogen is a huge surprise.

Light Price Claimed Lumens Ambient Lux
    Light and Motion Vega $175 75 5
    Cateye Tripleshot $330 130 11
    Light and Motion Stella 180L $300 180 12
    Niterider Minewt.X2 $190 150 12
    Exposure Joystick Maxx $250 240 14
    Levin Brightstar $270 500 15
    Ayup helmet $190 280 16
    Dinotte 200L $249 200 16
    Knog 605 $399 300 16
    Ayup bar (regular kit) $190 280 17
    Exposure Race Maxx $350 480 24