mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Lights shootout 2010 edition thread on Lights and Night Riding

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    My first article is up here:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/2010-mtbr-lights-shootout/

You guys are my ears and eyes so check it out and give me comments. I will shoot a video review about each light in the next couple of days.so give me some feedback and opinions and tell me what you want to see.

fc
    So far one of the DIY guys here has a light in the new shootout.
    Hope some of our other builders lights are reviewed.

Here is a beamshot comparison between the Pro 1200 and the Darkstar by Zen Bicycle.
    The Darkstar has has the narrower beam, while the 1200 is the softer, wider beam shot.

Maybe Zen will let us know which optics were in the light he submitted.

mtbr member
    this was a pure spot setup with two LM1-RS lenses. The spot flood would probably approximate the NR 1200 beam pattern I am guessing.

mtbr member
    [SIZE="5"]I CANT BELIEVE WHAT I'M SEEING[/SIZE]....

I just finished looking over the 2010 Pro Review and I have ONE COMMENT....
    WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED WITH THE BEAM PHOTO OF THE
    HIDTECH LUMEN 8R QUAD!!!
    ???

The photo is two sizes smaller than the others, looks like it is taken at a lower resolution...looks almost out of focus! You can't even see the bike even though it is rated at 66lux ( 1000 claimed lumens ) EVEN THE MAGIC SHINE LOOKED BRIGHTER AND CLEARER! ( 37lux )
    No cones in this photo...Different angle...is the lens here smudged? I find it very stange that this beam photo is the only one that appears this way..

Francois....You owe Daniel from HIDtech an apology for totally misrepresenting his product. ( Note: FWIW...I own one of these. If I had a decent camera I would post my own picture. )

I've heard of Bad Santa...so is there a [SIZE="5"]BAD FRANCOIS[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How many torches / light setups do your own Cat-Man-Do ??

I just own a selection of torches upgrade when available and pass the old ones onto to mates cause there to tight to buy there own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Beam shots can become a PITA after a while. So I can understand if one comes out; well, not so good. Hopefully he has another shot of that light that can be posted. I always take 3 shots of every light incase there is some movement of the camera or a bug on the lens.

So it was two narrow on the Darkstar. You should overnight Francois one with the narrow/diffuse combination. Bet that is a popular option and it would be nice to have it posted in the shoot out.

Well maybe ask Francois first if he would want to do yet another beam shot. Not that he isn't busy enough right now with all the other requests/complaints.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Beam shots can become a PITA after a while. So I can understand if one comes out; well, not so good. Hopefully he has another shot of that light that can be posted. I always take 3 shots of every light incase there is some movement of the camera or a bug on the lens.

So it was two narrow on the Darkstar. You should overnight Francois one with the narrow/diffuse combination. Bet that is a popular option and it would be nice to have it posted in the shoot out.

Well maybe ask Francois first if he would want to do yet another beam shot. Not that he isn't busy enough right now with all the other requests/complaints.......
    Odtexas.....I wasn't commenting about the Darkstar. I thought the Darkstar was great with it's two tight optics. Scroll through all the photos ( of the whole review ) and you will notice that the Lumen8R quad was not taken using the same resolution. Everything about the photo is different than the others...size, clarity, foreground objects missing, angle..etc. In other words, "A Suckie Photo".

Turveyed....I have the Lumen8R quad as my main helmet lamp. Dinotte 600L for the bars...Dinottes 200L x 2 and about six torches for back-up or less technical rides. With Christmas coming up, more Torch stuff is likely....Not to mention, I am always on the look-out for something better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Lumen8R Quad looks nice but loads of money, I want a 4 x XP-G Baby Troutie I think for xmas when some money comes in or 1 of those 1200Lumen OSRAM torches for the bars they look lovely

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Lumen8R Quad looks nice but loads of money,
    I just checked their web site. The $465 listed in the MTBreview is wrong...that is the price in Aussie dollar. U.S. price is $430 USD or 256.99 GBP. Still, this is much higher than it was last year. I think I paid around $375 USD. That's a pretty good hike considering this is last years technology...but...it is still one nice light. It would of been nice to have had a decent beam photo so people could see that for themselves.

mtbr member
    Once again...a quick comparison of the photo's. The larger photo is of the Magic Shine. The smaller is the Lumen8R quad. All other photos in the review were the same size as the MS photo. My Adobe Photoshop list the MS photo as having a file size of 147K.
    The LM8R quad listed as 48K. No wonder you can't see the bike in the LM8R photo.. . ( ...even though it has almost double the lux... ) All the other photo stats look about the same, all at the standard MTBreview settings. HOWEVER....the photos do look to be taken at a different time of year...at least that is what the photo file shows.. ANYWAY.. ..I've had my say. I guess the big name bike light manufactures need some help ( like 3 x picture resolution ) to sell their lights...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lights shootout 2010 edition thread on Lights and Night Riding-magicshine.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Lets RIDE!
    Have you brought this directly to Francois' attention, in "shootout" comments section? He's the only one who can do anything about it.

To me, I can see that the Lumen8r picture is obviously brighter, just smaller. Lack of cones don't bother me. Camera position appears identical, based on referencing the swingset to the fence/trees behind.

But personally, I wouldn't buy the Lumen8r based on the spelling of it's cutesie pre-teen text message name

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Lumen8r is definately brighter and it's whiter to looks impressive for head mounting, XP-G and tighter optics to keep the same pattern would be even nicer, sure they'll upgrade soon.

Too much for me and I like slumming it with a few cheap torches that blow away all the rich peoples expensive setups

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Clearly, the Aussie made light isn't going to get a fair shake again....shame, shame.

Dude, don't be so angry. We're all friends here.

We already covered that all photos need to be the same size. I'll fix that. The Lumen8r and Wilma 5 photos were taken back in May 2009 and I can't find the large photos. I had to grab the photos from my Rollover Widget here: http://www.mtbr.com/beamcomparisoncrx.aspx

I'll fix that though and reshoot as I am doing individual, detailed reviews and videos for each light.

Camera settings were kept the same though and you can see that Lumen8r is clearly brighter. My wife needed to mow that lawn though.

fc

p.s. this is reposted from the other 'Lights' forum. Please post questions there since the bulk of the info is there and I'm able to respond there daily.
    Lights shootout 2010 edition
    IPA will save America

Carbon8er
    I don't put too much stock in beam shots that were done on a grassy lawn, in a side yard of a house, with a fence and tree house in the background.

I prefer beam shots of something that I actually ride, like a road or trail or something in the woods and something that doesn't have a limit on the distance. Just my personal prefs, I'm strange like that.

I guess I could ride your lawn, but it would be a short ride and there would have to be good beer in the tree house?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I thought MTBR beam shot settings specified a fence and tree house......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    Have you brought this directly to Francois' attention, in "shootout" comments section? He's the only one who can do anything about it.

To me, I can see that the Lumen8r picture is obviously brighter, just smaller. Lack of cones don't bother me. Camera position appears identical, based on referencing the swingset to the fence/trees behind.

But personally, I wouldn't buy the Lumen8r based on the spelling of it's cutesie pre-teen text message name

JZ
    Ha! Ha! ... You know, I don't know how I never noticed that before...

I did bring ( the photo problem ) to Francois's attention over on the same thread in the "Lights and Night riding forum". He said he's going to post some more photos later and change the format to like what was done last year.

EL34 wrote:

I don't put too much stock in beam shots that were done on a grassy lawn, in a side yard of a house, with a fence and tree house in the background.

I prefer beam shots of something that I actually ride, like a road or trail or something in the woods and something that doesn't have a limit on the distance. Just my personal prefs, I'm strange like that.

I guess I could ride your lawn, but it would be a short ride and there would have to be good beer in the tree house?
    Yes...agreed. I think Francois is going to be doing something like that. Natural surface is always my preference. Anything on grass however will always look bright. Best to use dirt but so many people use grass that I doubt that they will ever stop.

Odtexas: Do live near a ballfield or do you have your own Stadium Light?
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 11-20-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Carbon8er
    Od, I don't see any beer in your tree house

In the beam shots, I do like the cones though
    On a road surface, cones set out at maybe 25ft intervals is not a bad idea

This one at the Lupine site is pretty cool
    http://www.lupine.de/web/en/products/lighttest/