mtbr member

Lights for Pedi-cab

I have 2 pedi-cabs(bike rider with 2 people sitting behind him, a bike cab service) and am in need of a lighting system that will function with what we have. I will start our cabs running May 1st, the storage where the cabs will be kept when not in use does not have electricity. So right away you think just have a generator setup, that will be fine.

BUT I have been told that generator hubs are weak and are not able to work with big beefy spokes.
    So I am worried if I put a generator hub on the front, it will be too weak and the spokes just wont fit.

You guys have any thoughts?

Also would it be possible to build a system that would run off a motorcycle battery, powering LED's? My thinking is the LED's draw very little power, a motorcycle battery would be able to power the lights for 5 or 6 days before needing charging. I could keep extra batteries at home fully charged and swap them out of the bike every few days.

Would something like this be possible????

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Try calling this guy:

www.peterwhitecycles.com

He imports SON generators and builds bullet-proof wheels around them, and he's brutally honest about what will and won't work.

Ron

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm assuming you need a headlight and a couple of tail lights. You also didn't say how long they would need to run each day?

For a headlight, I would go with something like an XPG triple running at very low current where it's extremely efficient. If you run them at 200ma, you'll still get lots of light and you'll only be using around 2 watts. If you combine that with something like a 4 cell 10ah LiPo battery pack (4S2P - 148 watt hour), you'll get a runtime of 74 hours before a recharge is necessary. You don't want to use a motorcycle battery because the amount of power / per weight is really terrible. Also, LiPo packs are really inexpensive.

You need very little power for a couple of red taillights. I would use standard cheap bicycle tail lights housings and LEDs and just rewire them with a cheap driver to run off the LiPo battery pack. They will use so little power that it'll have little impact to the overall runtime.