swag ho Administrator

Lights forum will be created

By the end of this week, we will separate the Lights forum on its own. We'll have:

Bike Lights Forum
    GPS and Computer Forum

We'll move all existing posts into their own forum. The lights forum is definitely active enough to stand on its own.

fc
    IPA will save America

BBW
    mtbr member
    awesome!

No, that's not phonetic
    Nice job and great info so far. With the rapid advance in LET tech, this is a pretty heady time for bike lights. Glad you are taking such a deep and abiding interest in spear-heading this, Francis. Keep it up.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Makes sense since lights are becoming a very active forum topic. It's almost January and I'm hoping we see your complete review and well as James' complete review soon. I leave for a month-long overseas trip in three weeks so I hope you guys get done before that. I'm curious about how the lesser-known LED lights are progressing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Great idea! Thanks! -GT2005

weirdo
    No question about whether lighting produces enough posts to keep a forum going. But do GPS and computers provide enough without lights? Hmm. Either way, I`m sure it will all work out fine.
    Recalculating....

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Now THAT is an ENLIGHTENED decision!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

cool

could there be a way to modify the search so that someone can search using 3 letters? Such as HID and LED.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    great move on the new lights forum

PS: Santa just delivered my new ARC... me =

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

need help!!

I am looking at purchasing a light for my local urban night ride during the winter months, which will include some road and trails. I have not done any night riding yet other than a few minutes in the early morning which I used a small topeak bar light with the help of the city street lights. After long hours of reading through MTBR and this forum i think i am going to get the TurboCat S15. I was looking for something in the price range of $150 and it seems the LED was the best choice. I have decided to go with the S15 over the S10. I am just going to list a few questions

Helmet or Bar? I've heard to start with bar.
    Flood or Spot? Whats the difference? In addition to the urban ride I will use it on single track in mostly heavily wooded area

still not sure which is the best battery to go with
    Macho 4.0hrs $150
    NWB 3.0 hrs $180
    NiMH 2.0 hrs $170

Any thoughts or comments will help.

Thanks

TranceX Rider
    It's about time! LoL!

Nice move, guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Grasshopper
    I am looking at purchasing a light for my local urban night ride during the winter months, which will include some road and trails. I have not done any night riding yet other than a few minutes in the early morning which I used a small topeak bar light with the help of the city street lights. After long hours of reading through MTBR and this forum i think i am going to get the TurboCat S15. I was looking for something in the price range of $150 and it seems the LED was the best choice. I have decided to go with the S15 over the S10. I am just going to list a few questions

Helmet or Bar? I've heard to start with bar.
    Flood or Spot? Whats the difference? In addition to the urban ride I will use it on single track in mostly heavily wooded area

still not sure which is the best battery to go with
    Macho 4.0hrs $150
    NWB 3.0 hrs $180
    NiMH 2.0 hrs $170

Any thoughts or comments will help.

Thanks

Hey Hopper

I have the s15 on the helmet. You don't want the macho battery as it's too heavy. The light is very bright but I use it w/ a bar mount as well. It's just MUCH better that way.

Though the Turbocats are real high quality and extremely bright, advances in LED's have made LED's the better way to go. Check out the Cygolite Dualcross PRO which is supposed to be much brighter than the old Dualcross. Saw the PRO on E-bay for 165 & that was a buy it now price. Start w/ it on the bars.

By the way, Turbocat's advertised run times are right on. The s15 has a 2 hr run time and the s10 a 3 hr run time. And don't get the flood bulb. Get the spot bulb.

Hope this helps.