Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 52
  1. #1
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358

    Lights, Ayup and the midpen ticket

    Lights Shootout update. Almost all the LED lights are here except for Dinotte. Lupine has not responded. Does anyone own a new Lupine LED lightset that I can borrow?

    An interesting light that just arrived is the Ayup. It's $380 for the 'regular' set. And man it's got a lot of stuff. 2 dual lights, 3 lipo batteries, car charger, neoprene case. I ride with a bud who's been using this and it's hecka bright. I haven't used this light yet. It's a little ghetto since there's no light switch, no manual! Also, the mounting is a bit funky with zipties. It's aussie, oi, oi, oi.
    http://www.ayup.com.au/kits-regular.php

    My night riding ticket is here. It was for 7pm at Fremont Older, Northern California, which is right by my house. Do not ride there! The ranger is nice but he is diligent. It's $307. I'm fighting it. Midpen is going down. If I do the crime, I should do the time, right? But night riding is not a crime. $307 is a crime. They should go to jail. Who ordered the code red? They can't handle the truth!


    fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fc; 11-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
    IPA will save America

  2. #2
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    I can provide an excellent TESTING ground in the Marin Headlands and San Francisco Urban night ride and bar tour!

    Ouch about the ticket FC. Maybe you can do community service to pay it off! Don the orange vest and pick up trash off the freeway

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,674
    Where's Fasy Eddy with his homebrew light?

  4. #4
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    I can provide an excellent TESTING ground in the Marin Headlands and San Francisco Urban night ride and bar tour!

    Ouch about the ticket FC. Maybe you can do community service to pay it off! Don the orange vest and pick up trash off the freeway
    Oh this is bull. I have to go to Traffic Court on Ruff Drive. That place is so tweaker with all the DUI peoples. I spent some time there during my speedster 20's. Maybe I'll give the judge some comic relief.

    I'll be wearing my Blanco Basura t-shirt http://www.blancobasura.com/. <-- check the site to hear the song 67 Impala.


    fc
    IPA will save America

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    My night riding ticket is here...
    I Googled that Violation Code (MP-805.4-1). Doesn't exist. Case dismissed.

  6. #6
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    I Googled that Violation Code (MP-805.4-1). Doesn't exist. Case dismissed.
    You're hired as my lawyer. I like your avatar!

    My other lawyer is Caffey
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8hGvQtumNAY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8hGvQtumNAY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

    fc
    IPA will save America

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,126
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Oh this is bull. I have to go to Traffic Court on Ruff Drive. That place is so tweaker with all the DUI peoples. I spent some time there during my speedster 20's. Maybe I'll give the judge some comic relief.

    I'll be wearing my Blanco Basura t-shirt http://www.blancobasura.com/. <-- check the site to hear the song 67 Impala.


    fc
    It's been a while since I've had to go to traffic court. But my experience is that going in and being polite and professional for something relatively harmless like this (as opposed to DUI or reckless driving) can be a light spot in the judge's day. If nothing else, they might knock the fine down for a first offense.

    Be sure to take your photo of the ranger with all the lights on his truck. You might not get to show it, but then again you might.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Be sure to take your photo of the ranger with all the lights on his truck. You might not get to show it, but then again you might.
    Not at the arraignment.

    This is the part where you simply utter "Guilty" or "Not Guilty." If you plead "Guilty," you might be able to get in a "...but with comment." Otherwise, if it's "Not Guilty," and you start assembling your whiteboard, evidence chart and proceed to say, "For my first witness, I'd like to bring in," you'll get laughed out of the courtroom!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    You're hired as my lawyer. I like your avatar!

    fc


    You should never violate the MROSD Bermuda Triangle (Fremont Older, St. Joseph's, Rancho San Antonio) on weekday afternoons or weekends. That's where MROSD makes 89% of their operating budget writing tickets!

  10. #10
    wg
    wg is offline
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Reputation: wg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    I Googled that Violation Code (MP-805.4-1). Doesn't exist. Case dismissed.
    Unfortunately its a violation code specific to the MidPen Open Space District. Its a biatch to find via Google but this search gave it top billing:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...n+code+vehicle

    Go here:
    http://www.openspace.org/activities/...egulations.asp

    Get the "REGULATIONS FOR USE OF MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT LANDS" PDF link on the right.

    "805.4 Bicycle Operation After Hours. No person shall possess or operate a bicycle, unicycle, or similar device on District lands after Official Hours."

    Can't even ride a unicycle!

    Still sucks though. That fine is outrageous.
    Don't harsh my mello

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    681
    Francois - were you ticketed for having your car in that tiny parking lot off of Prospect after the ranger wanted to close the gate or for actually riding at night? I went for a quick ride there the other day(evening) and noticed a bunch of guys riding the road up and I thought to myself 'Why don't those dudes just drive up and park?'. Then when I got to the parking lot I saw the gate and realized why! I talked to a hiker who looked like she knew the area well and she said that they won't lock your car in but they WILL wait there and give you a ticket. Then I HAULED ASS down 7 springs and back up and out - never did it faster! I was the last car in that lot and it was just about dark but didn't see a ranger.

  12. #12
    Recreational Terrorist
    Reputation: SCTreeHugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    421
    That ticket is more expensive than the speeding ticket I got on HWY 17!

    If you really want to night ride FO you need to be a bit more discrete than having the equivalent of a car headlight on your bike.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTreeHugger
    If you really want to night ride FO you need to be a bit more discrete than having the equivalent of a car headlight on your bike.
    Can someone confirm if MROSD rangers can ticket you in a SC County Park? I think they might do this in the SCC parks that are adjacent to MROSD preserves.

    The only place I've ever seen a SCC ranger actively enforce no bikes is on the Table Mountain Trail (no bikes section). Otherwise, SCC rangers actually engage in activities that are more ranger-like, not peace officer-like.

    If you were in ranger school, wouldn't the nature aspect of it entice you more than "Oooh, I get to bust mountain bikers for speeding" aspect?

  14. #14
    Let's ride
    Reputation: rensho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    If you were in ranger school, wouldn't the nature aspect of it entice you more than "Oooh, I get to bust mountain bikers for speeding" aspect?
    As with all things, once you measure it, it will get better.

    Team, how much and how many tickets did we issue last month, last year? What are we using those $$$ for?

    The budgets are limited again. Where can we get more money?

    How much money are we getting from tickets this quarter? Can we count on that?

    If we just get another x% more this quarter we can do this...




    Just imagine what would happen at MidPen or any county if the ticket revenue were cut in half, decline, went away, etc. It wouldn't be, "cool, people are finally getting the message, and we get to patrol less."

  15. #15
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi
    Francois - were you ticketed for having your car in that tiny parking lot off of Prospect after the ranger wanted to close the gate or for actually riding at night? I went for a quick ride there the other day(evening) and noticed a bunch of guys riding the road up and I thought to myself 'Why don't those dudes just drive up and park?'. Then when I got to the parking lot I saw the gate and realized why! I talked to a hiker who looked like she knew the area well and she said that they won't lock your car in but they WILL wait there and give you a ticket. Then I HAULED ASS down 7 springs and back up and out - never did it faster! I was the last car in that lot and it was just about dark but didn't see a ranger.
    I rode from my house. I did a Seven Springs loop and when I popped out into the three way intersection out in the open, the ranger truck came barelling down with lights a flashin. So the ticket is for riding more than 30 minutes past sunset.

    He said I was his third ticket that week. He said DO NOT run cause there's no escape, he'll get backup and everybody will be all grumpy all night.

    If your car is in the parking lot, it's a dead giveaway for them and they can just wait for you. Of course they won't get you for a $20 parking ticket when they can have your $307.

    The ranger was very, very nice and so are the others that I've met. But they are pawns of the mid-pen board of directors empire.

    So do not night ride in the normal day riding venues! Just night ride on the asphalt or somewhere else.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    As with all things, once you measure it, it will get better.

    Team, how much and how many tickets did we issue last month, last year? What are we using those $$$ for?

    The budgets are limited again. Where can we get more money?

    How much money are we getting from tickets this quarter? Can we count on that?

    If we just get another x% more this quarter we can do this...

    Just imagine what would happen at MidPen or any county if the ticket revenue were cut in half, decline, went away, etc. It wouldn't be, "cool, people are finally getting the message, and we get to patrol less."
    What's the genesis of their arbitrary 15MPH speed limit, btw? (I know this has probably been massacred in the forum archives, but search never works well for me on forums.)

    15MPH for me is 60MPH for Steve Peat.

    In effect, I can bang a 14 MPH wheelie in front of a ranger without penalty and pose much more of a danger to others than if I happened to hit 19 MPH on Canyon Trail with both wheels on the ground.

    To quote a libertarian, "If the government can make you put on your seat belt, what else can they make you do?"

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TahoeBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,615
    The real crime is you were not able to evade this guy at night
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

  18. #18
    ****************
    Reputation: One_Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    I am in the market for a new light.

    My old nightsun will only hold about an hour charge.

    Set me up, I pay my own tickets too!!

    Aaron

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,193
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Oh this is bull. I have to go to Traffic Court on Ruff Drive. That place is so tweaker with all the DUI peoples. I spent some time there during my speedster 20's. Maybe I'll give the judge some comic relief.
    ahh, ruff drive

    say hi to judge madden and get a hot dog from the cart guy outside



  20. #20
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    Where's Fasy Eddy with his homebrew light?
    It's at the bottom of a parts bucket somewhere. I've been running a NiteRider HID/LED for a very long time (3 years?) now.

  21. #21
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,723
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    So do not night ride in the normal day riding venues! Just night ride on the asphalt or somewhere else.
    Skyline to the sea trail? Yosemite? PCT? That nobody-is-allowed-to-ride-there-but-everyone-does-anyway spot in SC?

  22. #22
    Ebo
    Ebo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,730
    You might get the ticket reduced by showing up. Depends on past history and the judges mood at the time. Often it's "just pay the clerk please". Good luck.

  23. #23
    mmm
    Reputation: timehoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by wg

    Get the "REGULATIONS FOR USE OF MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT LANDS" PDF link on the right.

    "805.4 Bicycle Operation After Hours. No person shall possess or operate a bicycle, unicycle, or similar device on District lands after Official Hours."
    Wait, so this regulation is specifically for bikers? What's the fine for hikers and equestrians after dark?
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    It's at the bottom of a parts bucket somewhere. I've been running a NiteRider HID/LED for a very long time (3 years?) now.
    Well, last time I saw it in action was Coe for the Biking Viking ride, so yea, about that long. I remember that light taking a pounding on Cattle Duster when your tire popped off the bead, yet your tube remained inflated!

    It took that lickin' and kept on shinin'...

  25. #25
    ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Reputation: fred-da-trog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,451
    I bet I can gather a few TROGS and an Ogre to test them lights on some very steep and rocky LEGAL single track.

    Let me know.
    .

    I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

  26. #26
    Totally, and to the max.
    Reputation: K-max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,531
    I've gotten two riding tickets in the past. The first time I went to court and the judge reduced the fine 50%. This was in 1995 and I ended up paying $88. The second ticket was two years ago on Christmas morning. Quicksilver, a day after it rained. I had to pay the court because I rode my bike when the ground was wet. Reduckilous. That ticket was $150-ish. Didn't fight that one, just paid it. Too much of a pain at the time.

    Gotta say though, I've gotten out of more tickets than I've received. Who says "you can run but you can't hide?"

  27. #27
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,913
    The Ay-Up's are a great package. I've done a couple of rides with mine, pleased with them so far.

  28. #28
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358

    Listen!

    Quote Originally Posted by One_Speed
    I am in the market for a new light.

    My old nightsun will only hold about an hour charge.

    Set me up, I pay my own tickets too!!

    Aaron
    Nightsun... that shows our age man. That's cool you skipped HID entirely. You can jump into these new breed of LEDs. It's the new frontier.

    I've had about 5 night rides with 6 or more riders. Everybody's got two lights, bar and helmet, mostly LED, some HID. With a big night group you always expect one or two light failures and some folks ride home in the dark and need assistance. So far, zero failures!! The lights, no-wires, the batteries and chargers are better. So cool!

    I'll set you up with my favorites after my testing.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  29. #29
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,624

    "Midpen is going down"

    perry "francois" masons in the house..Good luck..take some video that would rock..

    That sounds a cool lightning package for the money.

  30. #30
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    perry "francois" masons in the house..Good luck..take some video that would rock..

    That sounds a cool lightning package for the money.
    Yeah, what's the name of that San Jose Mercury news reporter that rode with us at Turkey ride last year? Also, Teresa Estacio at Kron is a the cyclist I hear.

    We might have an angle here with midpen charging $307 for going over 15mph and the same night riding. And of course the La Honda trail access issue is a travesty.

    Google is giving bikes to every single employee. We should get an in there and get them behind us.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  31. #31
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,815
    I'm still sold on my Exposure light.

    I've ridden with buddies with Topeaks, Nite Riders, Cateyes, and so many others, and as far as I'm concerned, Exposure is THE WIN.

    I'm taggin my Exposure Enduro MaXx to a helmet mounted Nite Hawk AL 400 Lumen LED. It's really a narrow light pattern, but because it's really bright and light weigt, it'll work perfectly for things like seeing around corners and stuff.
    Meh.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,126

    No Kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    ...
    Google is giving bikes to every single employee. We should get an in there and get them behind us.

    fc
    That's huge. What if along with the bikes, they gave every employee a membership to ROMP or the SVBC? The clubs would benefit hugely, and nothing like being able to add a few thousand members to the roster when talking with elected officials!

  33. #33
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    That's huge. What if along with the bikes, they gave every employee a membership to ROMP or the SVBC? The clubs would benefit hugely, and nothing like being able to add a few thousand members to the roster when talking with elected officials!
    Maybe just 2000 euro employees. That's all I found in the news
    http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-03-27-n56.html

    <img src="http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-bikes-2007.jpg">
    IPA will save America

  34. #34
    Coors, the american beer.
    Reputation: Melt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,533
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Ouch about the ticket FC. Maybe you can do community service to pay it off! Don the orange vest and pick up trash off the freeway
    my buddy did this to pay off a ticket for driving in the carpool lane

    Quote Originally Posted by SCTreeHugger
    That ticket is more expensive than the speeding ticket I got on HWY 17!
    x2 ... most expensive speeding ticket i ever got was $259 for doing 75 in a 55 on hwy 101 north of willits.

    In Chico we are lucky, for bidwell park the only night restriction is that you cannot be in the park between 12am and 5am unless passing through to another destination. Im guessing this is because the section from hwy 99 to bruce ave is about 4 miles long and it would be unreasonable for them to expect people to go all the way around.

    However, ride your bike or skateboard on Chico State Campus and its a $158 fine, one of my homies got one last semester.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    However, ride your bike or skateboard on Chico State Campus and its a $158 fine, one of my homies got one last semester.
    I attended SJSU in the mid 90s and always used to outbike the campus police, as we weren't supposed to bike in the section that was once San Carlos St. between 4th and 10th. My buddy got caught once and they impounded his bike.

    I think it's legal now. Either that, or they've given up enforcement.

  36. #36
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358
    I'm just slaving away here, testing runtimes.

    I just realized something. Some of these lights are so fancy I can't test runtimes easily. At low battery levels, they step down, and then step down again to give extra runtime. So it's a 3 hour battery and it might last for 10 hours. Hmmm.

    It's heating up the room. Hope ze house don't burn down.

    fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: troutie-mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,060
    And I thought England was bad for stupid rules .
    please can someone explain to a brit why you cannot night ride the trails .

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    124
    i'm From the UK too, like trout who posted up above and am amazed at that $307 fine

    Why do you get a ticket for riding at night, why is it illegal? Is it just in National park areas?

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,759
    That is so silly. I'm glad we don't have these problems here but I feel for you. Evasive tactics come to mind in a fight-or-flight situation.

    I have the Lupine Wilma and Betty but I just got them and simply can't make myself give them up for a few weeks- we may not have much time till the big snow arrives. Maybe call Todd and see if he has a battery and two lightheads he can send you.

    I really like the Wilma now and nothing even comes close to the Betty. I am really looking forward to how the others stack up. There is no concentrated spot like the Niteflux Photon Max and still I can light up 200 feet of a hillside that is 200 feet away. It's like a car headlight with better color but it isn't so bright that it becomes reflective. It would be a pity if you could not get hold of the Wilma and Betty.

    I'll email Todd for you right now but give him a quick call on Monday.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    i'm From the UK too, like trout who posted up above and am amazed at that $307 fine

    Why do you get a ticket for riding at night, why is it illegal? Is it just in National park areas?
    I'll take a stab: First, if the park is closed, it's closed. One reason is could be because there is nobody there to police your actions but also because there is nobody there to help you should you fall off a cliff.
    Second, there are many animals which are nocturnal and won't/can't come out to look for food when there are people poking around.

  41. #41
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    And I thought England was bad for stupid rules .
    please can someone explain to a brit why you cannot night ride the trails .
    Ok, here's the details. I live in San Jose, Northern California. It is silicon valley so we are surrounded by hills and trails. The good trails are on the west hills, between the valley and the ocean and are very wooded.

    The west side hills parks are run by an organization called Midpen (http://www.openspace.org/). They are an insanely restrictive pro-hiker organization. Some of the idiotic rules are:
    - no night riding allowed
    - no going over 15 mph
    - no peeing near the trail
    - no headphones allowed while riding
    - majority of singletrack is not allowed for cycling

    The fines have recently been raised to $300 each. So there is my hell. I live in one of the finest places on earth, I've got the bikes and the lights. But then I have to live with these inane restrictions. We are forced to be renegades when all we want to do is get fit and enjoy life. I'm not complaining though. We do what we have to do.

    The East side trails are restrictive too but night riding is completely legal. The no night riding rule in my trails is arbitrary and moronic.

    And now these inane rules and fines are getting us locals mobilized to fight these rulemaking bastards. Maybe my kids will enjoy a better mtbing environment.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,759
    An Elitist version of a communist state. Just kidding but I would snap living in such a restrictive pro-hiker place. The hikers are smart- they have effectively mobilized and do a lot of behind-the-scenes "work" with the officials. Establish similar conections with these officials and show up in force at meetings but I know you know all this.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: James@GearReview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I'm just slaving away here, testing runtimes.

    I just realized something. Some of these lights are so fancy I can't test runtimes easily. At low battery levels, they step down, and then step down again to give extra runtime. So it's a 3 hour battery and it might last for 10 hours. Hmmm.

    It's heating up the room. Hope ze house don't burn down.

    fc
    You are using a fan to cool them down right? Some of them have overtemp protects that will dim the light when they get too hot, making the run time seem over long.

  44. #44
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358
    Quote Originally Posted by James@GearReview
    You are using a fan to cool them down right? Some of them have overtemp protects that will dim the light when they get too hot, making the run time seem over long.
    Yes, the black thing on the right is a Vornado fan!

    When I did the last lights challenge, I didn't have a fan and a couple of the lights burned out. User error!

    fc
    IPA will save America

  45. #45
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Ah Yup.... what can you tell us about the light Francois?

  46. #46
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,358
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Ah Yup.... what can you tell us about the light Francois?
    Seems like a tremendous value.

    The Ay Up is as simplistic as the Niterider Trinewt is complicated. It is underbuilt and the Niterider is overbuilt. That's good since folks have choices on the new LED frontier. Do you want a wireless light switch or do you want no switch at all. Do you want a light head that's built like a Hummer or one that is built like a Miata? The Ay Up has zero electronics and primitive, zip-tie mounting. You can't aim the lights left to right once you zip tie them down. If you set it up right though and don't need to move the light to another bike or helmet, it works fine.

    Run-time is outrageously good. I'm seeing run-times of 4 hours on the small battery and 7 hours on the bigger battery. That's on the silver handlebar flood light. On the green helmet spotlight, run times are even longer.

    Light color is very good. They're white, not blue-ish at all. The silver handlebar light is very wide. The green helmet light is a nice spotlight. They complement each other very well. The lights run cool. Beam pattern photos coming.

    This system is very bright and very light. The big weakness is mounting and no light switch. You have to feel the cable on your helmet and plug it in and out to turn on and off.

    fc
    Last edited by fc; 12-02-2007 at 11:45 PM.
    IPA will save America

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,759
    Francois- call Todd at Gretnabikes instead of Lupine. I think they are backlogged with current orders but he may be able to help.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: James@GearReview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Yes, the black thing on the right is a Vornado fan!

    When I did the last lights challenge, I didn't have a fan and a couple of the lights burned out. User error!

    fc
    Yeah, some of these lights can get pretty hot if left on in stagnant air.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helgi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    191
    Getting a ticket for speeding or nightriding on a bicycle -- that's just awful. One of the things I happen to love about mountain bikes is that you can go anywhere and do anything without worrying about law and order :/

    But anyway, can't wait to get my Exposure Race MaXx. Should be shipping from CRC tomorrow

  50. #50
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Ok Francois... it's time to come clean and show us the light on your night riding citations, how you fought the law, and the law won. The Full Monty version, please, in court.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •