Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Lights, Ayup and the midpen ticket

Lights Shootout update. Almost all the LED lights are here except for Dinotte. Lupine has not responded. Does anyone own a new Lupine LED lightset that I can borrow?

An interesting light that just arrived is the Ayup. It's $380 for the 'regular' set. And man it's got a lot of stuff. 2 dual lights, 3 lipo batteries, car charger, neoprene case. I ride with a bud who's been using this and it's hecka bright. I haven't used this light yet. It's a little ghetto since there's no light switch, no manual! Also, the mounting is a bit funky with zipties. It's aussie, oi, oi, oi.
    http://www.ayup.com.au/kits-regular.php

My night riding ticket is here. It was for 7pm at Fremont Older, Northern California, which is right by my house. Do not ride there! The ranger is nice but he is diligent. It's $307. I'm fighting it. Midpen is going down. If I do the crime, I should do the time, right? But night riding is not a crime. $307 is a crime. They should go to jail. Who ordered the code red? They can't handle the truth!

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by francois; 11-30-2007 at 08:50 PM.
    IPA will save America

aka baycat
    I can provide an excellent TESTING ground in the Marin Headlands and San Francisco Urban night ride and bar tour!

Ouch about the ticket FC. Maybe you can do community service to pay it off! Don the orange vest and pick up trash off the freeway

mtbr member
    Where's Fasy Eddy with his homebrew light?

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    I can provide an excellent TESTING ground in the Marin Headlands and San Francisco Urban night ride and bar tour!

Ouch about the ticket FC. Maybe you can do community service to pay it off! Don the orange vest and pick up trash off the freeway
    Oh this is bull. I have to go to Traffic Court on Ruff Drive. That place is so tweaker with all the DUI peoples. I spent some time there during my speedster 20's. Maybe I'll give the judge some comic relief.

I'll be wearing my Blanco Basura t-shirt http://www.blancobasura.com/. <-- check the site to hear the song 67 Impala.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    My night riding ticket is here...
    I Googled that Violation Code (MP-805.4-1). Doesn't exist. Case dismissed.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    You're hired as my lawyer. I like your avatar!

My other lawyer is Caffey

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Oh this is bull. I have to go to Traffic Court on Ruff Drive. That place is so tweaker with all the DUI peoples. I spent some time there during my speedster 20's. Maybe I'll give the judge some comic relief.

I'll be wearing my Blanco Basura t-shirt http://www.blancobasura.com/. <-- check the site to hear the song 67 Impala.

fc
    It's been a while since I've had to go to traffic court. But my experience is that going in and being polite and professional for something relatively harmless like this (as opposed to DUI or reckless driving) can be a light spot in the judge's day. If nothing else, they might knock the fine down for a first offense.

Be sure to take your photo of the ranger with all the lights on his truck. You might not get to show it, but then again you might.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Be sure to take your photo of the ranger with all the lights on his truck. You might not get to show it, but then again you might.
    Not at the arraignment.

This is the part where you simply utter "Guilty" or "Not Guilty." If you plead "Guilty," you might be able to get in a "...but with comment." Otherwise, if it's "Not Guilty," and you start assembling your whiteboard, evidence chart and proceed to say, "For my first witness, I'd like to bring in," you'll get laughed out of the courtroom!

mtbr member
    You're hired as my lawyer. I like your avatar!

fc

You should never violate the MROSD Bermuda Triangle (Fremont Older, St. Joseph's, Rancho San Antonio) on weekday afternoons or weekends. That's where MROSD makes 89% of their operating budget writing tickets!

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Unfortunately its a violation code specific to the MidPen Open Space District. Its a biatch to find via Google but this search gave it top billing:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...n+code+vehicle

Go here:
    http://www.openspace.org/activities/...egulations.asp

Get the "REGULATIONS FOR USE OF MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT LANDS" PDF link on the right.

"805.4 Bicycle Operation After Hours. No person shall possess or operate a bicycle, unicycle, or similar device on District lands after Official Hours."

Can't even ride a unicycle!

Still sucks though. That fine is outrageous.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Francois - were you ticketed for having your car in that tiny parking lot off of Prospect after the ranger wanted to close the gate or for actually riding at night? I went for a quick ride there the other day(evening) and noticed a bunch of guys riding the road up and I thought to myself 'Why don't those dudes just drive up and park?'. Then when I got to the parking lot I saw the gate and realized why! I talked to a hiker who looked like she knew the area well and she said that they won't lock your car in but they WILL wait there and give you a ticket. Then I HAULED ASS down 7 springs and back up and out - never did it faster! I was the last car in that lot and it was just about dark but didn't see a ranger.

Recreational Terrorist
    That ticket is more expensive than the speeding ticket I got on HWY 17!

If you really want to night ride FO you need to be a bit more discrete than having the equivalent of a car headlight on your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTreeHugger
    If you really want to night ride FO you need to be a bit more discrete than having the equivalent of a car headlight on your bike.
    Can someone confirm if MROSD rangers can ticket you in a SC County Park? I think they might do this in the SCC parks that are adjacent to MROSD preserves.

The only place I've ever seen a SCC ranger actively enforce no bikes is on the Table Mountain Trail (no bikes section). Otherwise, SCC rangers actually engage in activities that are more ranger-like, not peace officer-like.

If you were in ranger school, wouldn't the nature aspect of it entice you more than "Oooh, I get to bust mountain bikers for speeding" aspect?

Let's ride SuperModerator
    If you were in ranger school, wouldn't the nature aspect of it entice you more than "Oooh, I get to bust mountain bikers for speeding" aspect?
    As with all things, once you measure it, it will get better.

Team, how much and how many tickets did we issue last month, last year? What are we using those $$$ for?

The budgets are limited again. Where can we get more money?

How much money are we getting from tickets this quarter? Can we count on that?

If we just get another x% more this quarter we can do this...

Just imagine what would happen at MidPen or any county if the ticket revenue were cut in half, decline, went away, etc. It wouldn't be, "cool, people are finally getting the message, and we get to patrol less."

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi
    Francois - were you ticketed for having your car in that tiny parking lot off of Prospect after the ranger wanted to close the gate or for actually riding at night? I went for a quick ride there the other day(evening) and noticed a bunch of guys riding the road up and I thought to myself 'Why don't those dudes just drive up and park?'. Then when I got to the parking lot I saw the gate and realized why! I talked to a hiker who looked like she knew the area well and she said that they won't lock your car in but they WILL wait there and give you a ticket. Then I HAULED ASS down 7 springs and back up and out - never did it faster! I was the last car in that lot and it was just about dark but didn't see a ranger.
    I rode from my house. I did a Seven Springs loop and when I popped out into the three way intersection out in the open, the ranger truck came barelling down with lights a flashin. So the ticket is for riding more than 30 minutes past sunset.

He said I was his third ticket that week. He said DO NOT run cause there's no escape, he'll get backup and everybody will be all grumpy all night.

If your car is in the parking lot, it's a dead giveaway for them and they can just wait for you. Of course they won't get you for a $20 parking ticket when they can have your $307.

The ranger was very, very nice and so are the others that I've met. But they are pawns of the mid-pen board of directors empire.

So do not night ride in the normal day riding venues! Just night ride on the asphalt or somewhere else.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    As with all things, once you measure it, it will get better.

Team, how much and how many tickets did we issue last month, last year? What are we using those $$$ for?

The budgets are limited again. Where can we get more money?

How much money are we getting from tickets this quarter? Can we count on that?

If we just get another x% more this quarter we can do this...

Just imagine what would happen at MidPen or any county if the ticket revenue were cut in half, decline, went away, etc. It wouldn't be, "cool, people are finally getting the message, and we get to patrol less."
    What's the genesis of their arbitrary 15MPH speed limit, btw? (I know this has probably been massacred in the forum archives, but search never works well for me on forums.)

15MPH for me is 60MPH for Steve Peat.

In effect, I can bang a 14 MPH wheelie in front of a ranger without penalty and pose much more of a danger to others than if I happened to hit 19 MPH on Canyon Trail with both wheels on the ground.

To quote a libertarian, "If the government can make you put on your seat belt, what else can they make you do?"

mtbr member
    The real crime is you were not able to evade this guy at night
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

I am in the market for a new light.

My old nightsun will only hold about an hour charge.

Set me up, I pay my own tickets too!!

Aaron

mtbr member
    ahh, ruff drive

say hi to judge madden and get a hot dog from the cart guy outside

Medium?
    Where's Fasy Eddy with his homebrew light?
    It's at the bottom of a parts bucket somewhere. I've been running a NiteRider HID/LED for a very long time (3 years?) now.

Medium?
    So do not night ride in the normal day riding venues! Just night ride on the asphalt or somewhere else.
    Skyline to the sea trail? Yosemite? PCT? That nobody-is-allowed-to-ride-there-but-everyone-does-anyway spot in SC?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You might get the ticket reduced by showing up. Depends on past history and the judges mood at the time. Often it's "just pay the clerk please". Good luck.

mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by wg

Get the "REGULATIONS FOR USE OF MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT LANDS" PDF link on the right.

"805.4 Bicycle Operation After Hours. No person shall possess or operate a bicycle, unicycle, or similar device on District lands after Official Hours."
    Wait, so this regulation is specifically for bikers? What's the fine for hikers and equestrians after dark?
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    It's at the bottom of a parts bucket somewhere. I've been running a NiteRider HID/LED for a very long time (3 years?) now.
    Well, last time I saw it in action was Coe for the Biking Viking ride, so yea, about that long. I remember that light taking a pounding on Cattle Duster when your tire popped off the bead, yet your tube remained inflated!

It took that lickin' and kept on shinin'...

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    I bet I can gather a few TROGS and an Ogre to test them lights on some very steep and rocky LEGAL single track.

Let me know.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast