Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hack Racer

lightmalls.com cheap battery pack

Looks like lots of people are always on the hunt for a battery pack for their light.

Lots of people go with the shrink wrap + PCB + plastidip method which I'm not a huge fan of. It works, but I like to be able to charge the cells independently.

Here is a light pack I found online while searching google one day.

Black Color 8.4V 4*18650 Battery Pack for Bicycle Light - Bicycle Light Accessories - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

$12.76 USD with free shipping per pack. Comes with 18650 batteries of unknown capacity or quality.

I was mainly after the battery holder/case more than the 18650 batteries themselves.

Here are some pics... as shipped from the seller (comes in a padded envelope)

I took the batteries out... put them on a nitecore charger... I don't really intend to use the batteries that were shipped with the pack... but you never know. I can't tell what brand or capacity they are. But for 12 bux for everything I'm not expecting much.

The case I think is some what water resistant. Probably ok for riding in the rain, but not for swimming. The yellow parts of the case you see feel like soft silicone molded parts that the screws compress the top and bottom plates against the silicone parts to the aluminum extrusion.

To open the case there are 4 screws on the top and bottom that are screwed into the aluminum extrusion. Take care as the negative wire is not that long and you can probably rip it off the PCB pad easily.

I was surprised to find that it has a cheap PCB that protects the unprotected purple Li-ion 18650 cells.

thoughts?

the supplied cable will not mate to the magicshine DC extension cables everyone loves to buy from dealextreme. THe size of the connector for this battery pack is slightly too small.

What will I be doing with this case...

1.) replace the supplied cable with a magicshine DC extension cable.
    2.) increase length of negative wire so it's easier to move either the top of bottom cap out of the way to remove the batteries
    3.) put in 4x panasonic 3400mAH 18650s.
    4.) touching up the point to point wiring as the soldering quality looks suspect
    5.) Maybe replace 4 of the screws on the top or bottom cap with thumb screws for quick battery removal.

some notes: The case uses battery spring contacts on the negative side of the 18650 to provide contact to the terminals. You can probably use 18650 protected cells in the case, but then you have a PCB and a battery that is protected. Not sure how that will work....

Cavet Emptor/Your Mileage May Vary.

good luck.

mtbr member
    that's really not much for a case with PCB plus 4 free cells Shame that the connector isn't compatible with the MS one, but an extension cable is only $3-4. Nice find!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My experience with extrusion using the "keyhole" design for the screws is that it does not hold up well to repeated assembly/disassembly. Use care and a tiny bit of lube when tightening.

I have also found that having a coil contact on one end only result in occasional loss of connection when hitting a good bump. Depending on the light being driven this may cause only a little blink. Others may turn off or switch modes. If the protection circuit treats this as low voltage cut, you may not be able to reset it until plugged into a charger.

Hack Racer
    damn that is perfect!!!!!

So now you tell me this... haha...

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Aliexpress is a new site for me. Any real experience buying from them? That case would be nice to try out at least.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Hack Racer
    I just bought 3 units from Aliexpress... See how it is... if good maybe I'll buy 100 units... Subtotal for qty is $15 bux. Shipping was $16. I chose China Post instead of Hong Kong Post.

First time for me ordering on AliExpress. Should be good. Aliexpress is also Alibaba. Yahoo owns 24% of Alibaba... Alibaba is suppose to be going IPO soon if they can find an exchange that will entertain their convoluted requests for IPO.

Alibaba is the equivalent of Amazon in China, they mainly cater for business to business transactions. Taibao caters to business to end customer transactions... Alibaba owns AliExpress and Taibao... Taibao is like Ebay in China... but more along the lines of Ebay stores instead of private people listing junk and you bidding on it... the store is setup such that this is the price, how many do you want? Or sometimes make offer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Aliexpress is a new site for me. Any real experience buying from them?
    I am waiting for a package of those cases.
    Aliexpress is the retail branch of Alibaba.com
    Personally I have good experience with sellers from Aliexpress, maybe better than dealing with Chinese on Ebay.
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I've been waiting for someone to offer the Solarstorm case and I just noticed what appears to be the same product with different branding on DX.com.

PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

DX is not my favorite place these days... their shipping seems to have become extremely slow so a better source would be appreciated.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I will put in an order from DX and pick one up to try out for sure. Shipping times aren't a big deal since I have a case that works for now. I do prefer fasttech for shipping, they seem much better to me.

Thanks for pointing out the link to DX for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I've been waiting for someone to offer the Solarstorm case and I just noticed what appears to be the same product with different branding on DX.com.

PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

DX is not my favorite place these days... their shipping seems to have become extremely slow so a better source would be appreciated.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

One important thing I can't tell about the Solarstorm case is whether it includes a battery protection circuit? Important to know as will determine the type of batteries that one needs to use with it.

Hack Racer
    From the pics I think they have no protection circuits

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    From the pics I think they have no protection circuits
    Yeah, probably not because we don't see the typical center tap wire that protection circuits usually employ. Unless they were really clever and ran the connection up that central post and use the top cap fixing screw to make the connection, but that seems unlikely.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Even if the case does, I can/will remove the circuit and fix it to work with my protected batteries. I am really just interested in a better case solution for a 2s2p to run the dual emitter bar light I am working towards. Would like to run them on separate drivers to get full power, but that would eat my 2s batteries alive. If I get mine first, I will report back...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    nice finds here guys!!!
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    what do you want to say?
    These cells are expensive for the claimed capacity and nobody knows what quality they are made of!
    Try quality cells instead - Panasonic one of the best LI-ion cells on the market
    Here at Banggood 3400mAh Cell (use coupon bgf113 for a further discount)

Fasttech is also a relieable seller for good cells - but encountered some shipping problems recently due to new hongkong post restrictions!
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1 View Post
    what do you want to say?
    !
    Let's see, 1st post trying to sell run of the mill Chinese cells. Maybe SPAM dropping?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Just as follow up, I got my order in from DX. They are taking way too long for shipping (almost 3 weeks) compared to Fastech, but whatever.

The pack is pretty nice. It is all plastic construction which is fine. The pack has one side that has 4 springs and the other has 4 flat spots for contacts. I was concerned about the flat spots because I use flat top 18650s, but they work very well. My 3400 Panasonics are charging, but I will double check their fit, but given the amount of spring and case, I do not anticipate having an issue with them.

The top of the box is keyed, so you cannot put it on wrong and mess up batteries.

I will be using 4 Tenergy 2600mah in the pack, so 7.4v at 5200mah will serve my dual XML needs very well (I think I have XML2s for the next build).

The pouch has a Velcro strap that lets the battery pack fit VERY well in front of the shock mount on my 2013 Spec Camber. If it annoys me, I will toss it in the saddle bag and run an extension cord.

The connector fits the cheap DX extension cables for Magicshine lights, so I would not anticipate any problems with any of the cheaper light cords.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post

Fat guys need bikes too.

Hack Racer
    Update: I just got my Solarstorm packs today. I ordered them AliExpress. THe postage says it originated from Sweden... (interesting...)

Here are some pics... the packs are setup as described above (springs on bottom x4), flat conductive tabs on the cover.

The screw is captive which is good... you won't lose it. The cable works with Magicshine cables. That is good.

The construction overall looks good for the price paid. I have only test fitted it with Panasonic 3200 mAh unprotected cells and they fit. Can't comment on protected cells as I don't own any. I'm sure it would be fine though as the thumb screw controls brings the top cap and the bottom housing together as well as the long compression of the springs.

Here are some pics.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The pictures are the same case I received.

I should say that my Tenergy cells are protected flat tops, they fit. I also test fit a set of button top protected Panasonic 3400s and they fit too. It is a very versatile case for sure.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I got the exact same case from DX (dealextreme)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    <>

I have been on Aliexpress and can not find them? Cheers! Can you help

mtbr member
    Is there loss of power because the batteries are not soldered in those battery boxes? Some lights draw 2+ amps, those spring connections must add some resistance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    so what are your conclusions for that battery case? i'm really interested

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast