mtbr member
    Jan 2005

light shuts off with full battery

guys, i need some help, i have a 3 or 4 year old night rider minewt. it hasn't been used very much but only for riding home from work. and that is primarily in winter when it's dark earlier. anyway, this thing isn't working any more. i charge up the battery just fine, but when i plug in the light and turn it on, it shuts off after about 1-2 seconds. i have juggled the wire around thinking there is a bad connection and that doesn't effect it in a positive or negative way. the shut off happens in either high or low mode. i dont know where to start to try to fix this. I guess i could call night rider but thought i would start here with yall first.
    any thoughts are appreciated
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sounds like bad battery. Might consider taking it apart and measure individual cells voltage after charging. There's not much to loose anyway.

mtbr member
    my guess would be a break in the yellow voltage sense wire between the battery and the head - Minewt cables are really quite fragile. Without a connection the driver shuts the light off after 2s max. It's not too hard to fix. You need to buy an extension cord, then take the head apart with a tiny allen key (2 or 3mm, I can't remember). Cut the old wire off, leaving the 3 wires attached to the board (so you don't forget what goes where), then thread the new wire through the silicone grommet. Solder on new wires, rebuild head and test.

That should hopefully fix it - it did the trick for a friends light and only cost $15 or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    hey thanks guys! i guess i have to buy a new cord from niterider, the three prong plug thingey is not something i can find everywhere right? going into the battery sounds like more work so i'll make that part II if new wire don't worky
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    no worries. Yep, from NR or any shop that stocks NR lights. Might even be able to find it at one of the online stores.