mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Light question--How do these compare?

Hi Guys,
    I currently have a 13 Watt Jet HID and get about 3hr 15min. burn time. I really am happy with the brightness, but I need the option to ride 4 hrs. I like a spot pattern. The guys I ride with all have some version of Night Rider HID's and my Jet is about 30% brighter then their Night Rider HID's. I ride single track for about half the time, and the other time I'm on fast 20-30 mph fire road where I really like a spot to get the light down the road. I have been looking at the DiNotte 600L, or some custom set up. I only use a helmet mount, and put the battery in my back jersey pocket. Any one have experience with a comparison of these two lights? I don't want it to be less bright, heavier, or have less then 4 hr. burn time. Thanks

Arf, he said.
    If you're happy with your current light, why not just replace the battery with a larger capacity one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know it's a hassle but you can buy an extra battery and carry it with you. Otherwise, the 600L comes with two batteries anyway. The Lupine Wilma with a bigger battery can easily pass 4-5 hours.

HID- the L&M ARC Ultra has around a 5 hr burntime. It's a fantastic HID, if you're okay with buying another HID.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I do like my current light enough to keep, but it is two years old and I figure I could Ebay it now and still get a couple hundred. I just want to try something new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I get 4-5 hours on my ARC Li-ion - and itīs not the ultra. Of course thatīs not using the high (13w) all the time, perhaps about 30 to 40%, and leaving it ON for the duration of the ride (re-starting HIDs draw a lot of battery or so I was told). Still, thatīs a good stretch on the claimed burntime for the regular li-ion ARC - 3:30 on high and 4:00 on low.

I guess some, if not most, companies (at least the ones in the L&M league) list shorter burntimes than you can get in reality. Maybe for safety reasons or something. Iīve been getting longer burntimes with my Wilma 6 as well. Iīd guess that also depends on the temperature and overall condition of your battery. Both lightsets are quite new and I keep them charged and use them a lot as well.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    How much are you willing to spend to improve your ride time by 45 minutes?

If you wanted, you could homebrew something for about $100 using your existing battery using 3 Cree or Seoul LEDs which would be roughly the same light, but dimmable and more efficient. At 700ma, they'll easily equal what you have and last 30-40% longer. For about $220 you could buy a Night Lightning LED pre-made and use your existing battery for similar results with less effort.

Otherwise, you could buy an aftermarket battery from batteryspace with a larger capacity or by another unit from the manufacturer. The primary reason I went away from HID toward LED was because of the size of the batteries. I can get roughly twice the riding time from the same battery with LED or I can just carry a battery that's half the size. Originally I had a 4.8ah battery from my HID that would last 7+ hours on my LED (but only 3.5 hours on my HID). Now I use mostly 2.4ah that weigh half as much and by dimming when I'm climbing, I can easily get 5+ hours from it (up to 30 hours on low beam).

13w Trailtech beamshot

Night Lightning Blaast DCM beamshot

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Cool Cool Cool.

Thanks for the pictures. I just took a look at the nightlighting.com website. Great advise. If I get one of their LED units, then went to batteryspace and got one of their batteries, would I have to Jimmy Rig it to get the set up to work, or are the battery/charger and LED light all have compatable connections? Seems like I could get a light that would last 4+ hrs. be lighter and not cost more then $350.00. To get a guranteed 4 hrs, at 1000ma, what Li-ion size battery would I need? Is it better to run 700ma. I don't fully understand the difference between 1000ma and 700ma. Would they both power the LED's the same brightness, but one would last longer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The ____mA measurements are current draw. The lower current draw will be a bit less bright, but far more efficient (from what I understand). However, as rockymtnway is suggesting, even with it slightly less bright, it will still be enough light and not from personal experience, but from what I have gathered, I would agree with him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

HID not as good as LED

It seems like the LED from Nightlighting.com is better and brighter then most HID's. Is this correct? I have never seen the new Nightrider Trinewt, iBlaasst or the 600L in person. But it seems like at least the iBlaast is brighter then a 13w HID.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    I'm not sure if mine are the 1000ma or 700ma. I'm pretty sure you can program the highbeam yourself on the I-blaast and DCM models. E-mail them and they'll answer all your questions. Great folks there. Very friendly and they were able to get my light to me very quickly when I ordered it (just before a 24 hour race).

There's no magic or smoke and mirrors here, it's simple math. Halogens emit 15-16 lumens per watt, HID emit 40 lumens per watt, and the newest LEDs emit 80-100 lumens per watt. The next generation of LEDs promises 130 lumens per watt by the end of 2008, but there's no need to wait. The Night Lightnings are designed to make upgrading LEDs a breeze and you'll get the latest generation available when you get your light (probably a total of 15-30 lumens brighter than mine, since I bought mine in late May of this year and they're evolving that quickly).

If you're using the light at 700ma, a 14.8v, 2.4ah Lithium battery should theoretically last 4 hours. If you wanted a little more insurance, a 2.6ah battery would last 4.3 hours. For short rides, I actually use a 14.8v, 1.4ah Lithium ion battery and it lasts over two hours. If you want to be able to go silly amounts of time, go ahead and get the 4.8ah battery, but there's really no reason in my opinion. Set up the fuel guage when you get it and if you ever run low, it will automatically drop down to your low beam giving you something like four hours of light at the equivelent of a 15w halogen. If you want an insurance policy, for $30 you can buy a 2.0ah battery as a spare.

When you order, ask them to send the connectors for three batteries and your charger so they can set you'll be set no matter what. The connectors are very straight forward and they even had wrote on the baggie how they should be wired.

I know my Night Lightning is brighter than the HID I owned (the TrailTech) but I don't know how it compares to your Jets, L&Ms or the Lupine Edisons. I know the Wilmas are brighter than the Night Lightnings, but not by much and the difference in price is significant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

... and if we just ... Thanks Rockymtnway

Thanks so much for your help. I just did a three hr. mud ride here in Santa Cruz and I talked the guy I road with into selling his Nightrider and getting the LED too. We are ordering soon.