• 11-22-2012
    norcom
    8 Attachment(s)
    Light and Motion Stella 120 to XM-L T6 Mod
    Decided to mod my old generation Light and Motion Stella 120 into an XM-L T6. I used an XML-T6 torch I picked up from DX. UltraFire T6 XM-L T6 385lm 5-Mode Memory White Light Zooming Flashlight - Black (1 x 18650)

The Stella housing unscrews backwards (righty loosey). The puck almost fits perfectly into the aluminum Stella heatsink; ALMOST. There's about a .5mm difference you have to grind down; I did it using a Dremel and some sandpaper. The switch on top doesn't work, I'll be putting an inline switch once I get around to it. Or if I can find a round switch that would fit into the original hole.

It's a pretty easy mod. I can now use the 18650 cells that I use for my other lights/packs. I'm not sure how the rear plastic housing will holdup to the XML heat but I guess I'll find out. :)
  • 11-27-2012
    Valhalla
    Nice mod - I will be interested in any updates
  • 11-30-2012
    norcom
    I've ridden with the light 3 times so far. It's working quite well and it's very light on the helmet. Haven't noticed any issues with the light getting too hot.

Previously I was riding with the Magicshine 808 and then switched to one of the 3x XML-T6 knock offs as my helmet light. Both of them sit too high on the helmet. The 3x was quite nice but I only used it a couple of times on the helmet, it was WAY too heavy.

I'm looking for a low weight light head with 2x XML-T6 or something similar/brighter but haven't found anything for under $60 price range.
  • 12-07-2012
    dmcpeake
    Thank you for posting this project. I have a Stella 150 that the battery (ni-mh) is failing on. I'm interested in modding my light as you have. I'm good with projects, but not very knowledgeable in batteries. Could you provide some info on batteries / charger you use or that I could look for to use with this mod. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • 12-07-2012
    norcom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcpeake View Post
    Thank you for posting this project. I have a Stella 150 that the battery (ni-mh) is failing on. I'm interested in modding my light as you have. I'm good with projects, but not very knowledgeable in batteries. Could you provide some info on batteries / charger you use or that I could look for to use with this mod. Thanks in advance for any advice.

The battery holder you see in the picture is from one of my other DX bike lights. It unscrews at the bottom and you insert 4x 18650 cells in it. The batteries are parallel for 3.7v which is what this driver/led need.

All my other packs are custom made with they digikey 18650 holders. I use a variety of 18650 cells with a few different 18650 chargers. All the cells are protected and are charged individually. Here's an old thread with a picture of one of my battery packs. http://forums.mtbr.com/7497218-post22.html that's a 6 cell pack. I also have an 8 cell pack. The reason I like individual cells is because sometimes I know I'll only ride for an hour so I put two cells in; other times I fill it up. I also bring spare cells with me and if any torch/pack runs low I just replace the cells.

Here are some links to the holders:
    BK-18650-PC4 MPD (Memory Protection Devices) | BK-18650-PC4-ND | DigiKey
    BK-18650-PC6 MPD (Memory Protection Devices) | BK-18650-PC6-ND | DigiKey
    BK-18650-PC8 MPD (Memory Protection Devices) | BK-18650-PC8-ND | DigiKey

One of my newer chargers is the XTAR WP6
    USA Seller XTAR WP6 II 18650 Li ion Battery Charger Newest Model | eBay

I'm not going to go into which 18650 cells you should get :) That's a HUGE topic and you might want to read the hundreds of threads here or the candlepowerforums.
  • 01-11-2013
    dmcpeake
    I appreciate the information... One more question if you wouldn't mind before I dive into doing this:

1) Did your build use the LED drvier from the flashlight or the existing driver that came with the stella?

Thanks much.