mtbr member
    Sep 2005

light and motion ARC nimh good value ?

I want something that will light the trail real well. I used a 10watt halogen in the past and it was'nt so great (light was okay, run time bad). I purchased a 4watt led recently also and i have been really disapointed. (really shallow pattern + not enought light and good run time.

I am ready to invest in a good light, but i want to know your oppinion about this lamp compared to other. maybe some pattern shots.

IS it a good lamp for me ? (I want something arround 2-3 hours of riding + SOMETHING that actually lighten the trail )

I <3 Dirt
    I had a 10w halogen and upgraded to the 30w Trail Tech and couldn't believe how bright that light was. I had serious problems with the light and horrendous customer service, so I ended up purchasing the L&M ARCH NiMh. Everyone raves about their customer service.

The L&M is not nearly as bright as the 30w TT, but it is much brighter than the 10w halogen I had. I only ride for an hour and a half to two hours at night, so I'm not sure how good the burn time is past 2 hours (besides what L&M publishes).

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    There seems to be plenty of happy Light and Motion ARC users who have provided nothing but positive feedback here on the boards.

A quick search should help you read in to things a bit more. Compared to your previous lights I think youll be more then happy!

There are many other options, but its a great HID for the money.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Definitely the best value and it's the second brightest HID behind the Lupine at a third the cost. You cannot outrun this light and it gives you awesome peripheral light that lights up the sides of the trail as well. They are extremely responsive and helpful. I managed to lose my helmet mount right after I bought the light and they sent me a new one for free. I have had the light for a year now and it is awesome. I have owned the Jet Lites (great Halogen) and the Lume Strada HID but when it comes to HIDs, the ARCs are impossible to beat. The ARC starts at around $325.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thats what i wanted the ear before ordering one. It cost kind of a lot so i really wanted oppinion on the product itself. It hard to know if a light is good by reading only regular reviews. I do searched al ittle bit on the forum and i found a beam pattern shot that convinced me.

I am planning to put the battery in my camelback and the light on my helmet, will it be good for that ? (on/off + low/high switch accesible ?)

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    Thats what i wanted the ear before ordering one. It cost kind of a lot so i really wanted oppinion on the product itself. It hard to know if a light is good by reading only regular reviews. I do searched al ittle bit on the forum and i found a beam pattern shot that convinced me.

I am planning to put the battery in my camelback and the light on my helmet, will it be good for that ? (on/off + low/high switch accesible ?)

great light, so much better than halogens (ran 10w head & 15w bar before getting the ARC HID Li-ion)... the switch is on the light head, so unless your arms are really short it should be accessible

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I also run it on my helmet and Camelbak. Reaching the switch is easy enough. The lighthead itself is light and secure when strapped to the helmet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The ARC is a fantastic light. Runtime is about 4hrs on the NiHM battery (I have mine for 1 yrs). However, do note the following :

You cannot build your own battery without cutting off the battery connector.
    You have to send the lighthead back to L&M to replace the bulb.

I have the moonshine hid as well, less "side light", bright centre spot. Easy to replace bulb, easy to replace battery. I have the enduro version, battery life is about 3 1/2 to 4 1/4 hr. Half the weight of ARC.

I used to have the Jetlites as well. Well constructed but not as bright as Moonshine or ARC.

I <3 Dirt
    I should add customer service is unaparalleled. I broke the helmet mount a week or two ago when I overtightened it. I emailed their customer support and 2 days later they had a new mount in the mail for me - free of charge! No questions asked! Very cool company, and they have a customer for a lifetime with me.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Arc Nimh: Run time excellant. Have used it up to 3hrs in a single session. Beam is wide enough. No problems to date ... fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i too have the ARC, it has been a great investment. very light and good burn time. i will buy more light and motion products in the future.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by shrub
    ... have the ARC, it has been a great investment. very light and good burn time. i will buy more light and motion products ...
    If I need to buy a second light it will be a light & motion. I even use it when building my bike in the garage as it is a bit dim ... you know ... mount it on the helmet and work ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    L&M is great value! My friend uses the Lupine, the ARC is slightly less bight but a lot ceaper..