mtbr member

Light choices <$400

So been using my good ol' NR Trail Rat for about 5yrs now, still going strong, but not enough light for the Dh's and finally considering an upgrade to stronger, better light. I know Lupine make some outstanding lights, but I can't afford to pay for the good stuff and don't night ride a whole lot to justify the cost, so I am considering lesser options:

- NR Enduro Li-ion ($350-$400)
    - L&M ARC Li-ion ($350-400)
    - NR Tri Newt LED ($350-400)

I know many people are quite happy with the ARC, especially for the power/cost factor and quality of light, but I am interested in more natural (less blue tint) and other features of the LED offerings.

Any opinions here on these light choices, even though it sounds like the Wilma/Betty is real winner for the optimal light set-up? I used to run Hbar and helmet mount lights together with and old Cygolite Hbar light, and agree this is the best way to go for optimal trail lighting, but recently I have grown accustomed to only using a helmet light out of more conveinance of not having to set-up both lights and to not have to maintain and buy another light. So I plan to continue to only use one light in the future.

So what should it be for the sub $400 range?

Thanks for any feedback.

JG

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    dinotte 600L $399

BBW
    mtbr member
    ARC is not that blue, I compared it recently with a Dinotte 600 and yes, there's a difference but it's not a Nightrider, besides the light pattern is the best (not talking Lupine which you already said it's out of your league)

Flaccid Member
    You may wish to consider this HID kit, for $200, 12 degree flood works well mounted on the handlebars. I'm very happy with mine with the NiMH battery.

http://trailtech.net/helmet_light_kits.html
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Another option is the Night Lightning line (i-Blaast and Blaast DCM). The lights go for about $200-220 without battery. If you get a 14.8v lithium ion battery from BatterySpace for $30-55, and a charger for $26, it works out to be a pretty great deal. It uses three Seoul P4s for about as much light as an HID, but with the options to dim to conserve your battery while climbing. Definintely worth a look. I've really enjoyed mine. I get 2-3 hours out of a 2.4ah battery if I conserve when I climb and save the high beam from the descending. Total weight with that battery is about 415g.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just bought a NR Enduro 06' about a month ago and I have used it several times since. Cost be about $269 of WheelWorld, they claim retail as being around $469 but I dont think it is that much. I have seen alot of them on different sites, going for about $270. It has around 4 hour run time, 2 hour smart charger, it is a HID light, and mounts to the helment also. Only downfall would probably the the battery pack, seems heavy, but then again I haven't tired anything else so it might be normal. I usually carry it in a camel bak instead of a jersey pocket. I love it so far, and have had no problems as of yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnway
    Another option is the Night Lightning line (i-Blaast and Blaast DCM). The lights go for about $200-220 without battery. If you get a 14.8v lithium ion battery from BatterySpace for $30-55, and a charger for $26, it works out to be a pretty great deal. It uses three Seoul P4s for about as much light as an HID, but with the options to dim to conserve your battery while climbing. Definintely worth a look. I've really enjoyed mine. I get 2-3 hours out of a 2.4ah battery if I conserve when I climb and save the high beam from the descending. Total weight with that battery is about 415g.
    How does the battery connect to the light?

Thanks, T

Singletrack Daydreamer
    When you order the light, tell them you'll be using a battery from BatterySpace (rather than one of theirs) and they'll include several quick connectors. Make sure you ask for one for your charger, too, to keep things simple. They do a little drawing for how it needs to be wired and everything and the only tools you'll need will be a crimping tool or a pair of plyers (although I backed it up with a dab of solder, too).
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can get the Trinewt for under $350 but I think the quality edge goes to the Dinotte 600L. The ARC will have a better beam pattern if you don't mind a HID. It will outshine the other two but LEDs have advantages so it's a personal decision.

If you go LED, the Trinewt has a wide beam while the 600L looks to be a bit brighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    You can get the Trinewt for under $350 but I think the quality edge goes to the Dinotte 600L. The ARC will have a better beam pattern if you don't mind a HID. It will outshine the other two but LEDs have advantages so it's a personal decision.

If you go LED, the Trinewt has a wide beam while the 600L looks to be a bit brighter.
    Just the kind of info I was looking for, thanks.

It's between the L&M ARC and NR Tri Newt since I can get Tri Newt for about $300 at LBS and I am leaning towards LED, but my buddy loves his ARC and it is bright, compared to what I am used to. I have to get way ahead of him when riding, cause his light blows mine out with shadows behind when riding together. I just wish I could try them side by side to see. The light will primarily be used on the helmet, is their a preference between the two?

Thanks again.

Jon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, as far as mounting on the helmet goes, the ARC is considerably lighter. I wear a XC-type helmet (not a better coverage one like the Flux or Xen) and the ARC was as heavy as I like a helmet light. If you wear a Flux/Xen/Hex, you may be okay with a heavier light. Just remember that mass is MULTIPLIED by velocity to create an object's momentum.

So while I could really feel the ARC's weight (~170) in fast and steep rocky sections, I hardly feel my Wilma (~125) even with my relatively light helmet. I could not stand a 225ish gram light like the Trinewt unless I used a heavier helmet with more weight at the back and mounted it higher up. That creates a danger when riding below low-lying branches though and really sticks the weight up high when pointing downwards.

Anyway, I prefer light helmet lights. Anything approaching or over 200 grams would be too much for me and make my helmet unstable. That weight issue is why I primarily chose the Wilma for the helmet and why I would personally choose the Dinotte 600L or ARC over the Trinewt, given your choices. If you prefer LED, the 600L is $400 but comes with two batteries- a nice feature. I will bet that the overall quality control is a lot higher than the Trinewt. The 600L also use independent circuitry in case one LED burns out or fails. I don't know if the Trinewt does or if anyone at NT could tell you if the Trinewt does

For me, it is simply too heavy for a helmet light but I would use it as a bar light. I like the beam pattern and lens of the Trinewt but my experience (through friends and shops) with the NR products has been dissapointing for the last 5-6 years or so. I am hoping they have improved but I think they do a lot of outsourcing and can't control quality like they should.