Tá mé ar meisce.

Li-ion vs Standard Batts

I am about to order my first set of lights (most likely dinottes) but I am really stuck on whether should order AA or Li-ion. Is there a +/- list on the 2 technologies somewhere? Does anyone have any experiences they would like to offer? They will be used mostly for rides 4 hours or less but I will be doing some endurance races/rides such as 12hr, 24hr and 100 mile races.
    thanks
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Li Ion lasts longer between charges and is lighter. AA is easier to find replacements for on the road. I use the Li-ion for saving weight (the batteries fit on top of my helmet and on the stem).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Get the AAs, and get a couple of extra spare battery carriages from dinotte. Run them with good nimh rechargeables (I'm using 2700mah Sanyo). I find this option is far more versatile and cheaper in the long run. I can use alkalines when I'm stuck in some backwater town, and my nimh are also used for other applications when I'm not riding.

When better nimh rechargeables hit the market, I can take advantage of them too. I've seen some counterfeit 3800mah Sanyos AAs when I was in bangkok, but that's another story..

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Thanks Tinier good advice.
    Does any one know if the Li-ion batteries self discharge like the NiMH one do.
    Are recharge times for Li-Ion very long, I know it capacity dependent, but is it typically 2-3 hours or 12 or more to get a full recharge from a discharged state?
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan
    Thanks Tinier good advice.
    Does any one know if the Li-ion batteries self discharge like the NiMH one do.
    Are recharge times for Li-Ion very long, I know it capacity dependent, but is it typically 2-3 hours or 12 or more to get a full recharge from a discharged state?
    I use a 4hr smart charger for my Li-Ions and a 3hr smart charger for my AA's. The capacity on the Li-Ions is much better than the AA's and they don't suffer from the self discharge problem NiMH has.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    aa

good points

common
    cheep
    fit lots of chargers
    use in lots of devices
    available in different chemistry's (alk, nicd, nimh.)

bad points

discharge
    more needed / heavy

li-ion

good points

need less / light weight
    last longer for size
    no discharge

bad points

uncommon
    expensive
    no other uses
    special charger

there may be other points to consider
    but when you get to a certain size then the weight / size issue
    becomes more important

for example on a set of lights using 14v
    then you need 12aa
    but the same li-ion pack will have 4 cells in it (a little bigger than the aa's)

Alex