mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Lexan vs. Plexiglas

What are the benefits of each? It 'seems' plexi has better light transmission from what I've read. Any other materials I should be looking at to cover my lens in the front of the housing?
    TIA
    Andy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They're the same thing. Really. Both are polycarbonate, both have essentially identical optical properties, but "Lexan" (it's a brand name, not a material type) is technically "stronger" than average plexi. Personally, I haven't ever seen anyone with cracked plexi or lexan on any lights as they're usually not taking hits as they're recessed and mostly protected, so it's probably not the main concern. Glass will almost always have higher optical losses unless it's particularly pure optical glass, because it has relatively high iron impurities in it (why most glass sheets look green on the edges).
    "I applaud your stupid idea because it is genius." - Eric Sovern, Surly

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Best bet while keeping cost in mind is a decent brand acrylic like Acrylite. This will come in at about 92%. It's rather cheap and comes in enough thickness options to get what you need. I've seem a couple brands claiming 93% in their spec sheets but couldn't find any suppliers with actual prices instead of "quote me" crap. The really nice stuff is AR acrylic, abrasion resistant, which has a coating to help resistant hazing and scratches. The minimum thickness and ordering size is too much unless you're doing a product run.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Lexan and Plexiglass are not the same plastic. Lexan is a trademark name for polycarbonate. Plexiglass is a trademark name for poly methyl methacrylate, commonly referred to as acrylic or PMMA.

For LED bikelight use, my preference is acrylic though I usually use polycarbonate as I have access to remnant material. Acrylic, even uncoated, has better fine scratch resistance than polycarbonate. The light transmission of acrylic is just slightly better than polycarbonate. Not enough difference to see.

Do you really need a cover? If using reflectors, you must. If using TIR optics then it is maybe. I use a cover if the optic has recessed "pockets" in the face. Those "pockets" collect dirt that severely reduces the function of the optic. They are kind of tough to clean on the trail. If the optic has a smooth or lightly textured face, I omit a cover and gain ~10% output. If a bare optic becomes badly scratched, they are cheap to replace. It helps to design a housing that is easy to change optics on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    I omit a cover and gain ~10% output.
    Aren't vlt values generated using both sides of a material? So a 92% vlt material would only cause a 4% lose in output when used as cover.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    Aren't vlt values generated using both sides of a material? So a 92% vlt material would only cause a 4% lose in output when used as cover.

I am not an optical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but I am pretty sure the 8% loss would be the total. In this case there are two surfaces of the material that the light must transit. One is the outer face of the side adjacent the LED and the other is the inner face of the side opposite the LED.

TIR optics make use of the fact that the inner surface of plastic can be quite reflective.

One thing I also seem to recall is that optical efficiency is the product of the individual efficiencies. ie. 90% efficiency of the optic and 92% efficiency of a cover give an 83% optical efficiency.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just installed to high CRI XPGs in a housing with a 2 mm lexan lens.

Before installing it, I spent some time playing with the just the emitters with the bare carclo optics on a heat sink.

I can tell a difference in light output.

I am going to knock the lexan out, move the heat spreader forward, and 'nano glue' the two optics together and to the housing.

Something else I have noticed is that there was a good amount of useful spill from the edges of the optic. I cut a lens window 1 mm larger than the optics. I think a 5 to 10mm oversized lens might be better. It a compromise between heat sinking and spill, I suppose.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by P220C
    Something else I have noticed is that there was a good amount of useful spill from the edges of the optic. I cut a lens window 1 mm larger than the optics. I think a 5 to 10mm oversized lens might be better. It a compromise between heat sinking and spill, I suppose.
    Troutie makes use of that "wasted" light in his Liberator design.

mtbr member
    Lexan is also impossible to cut into shape with scissors, so it's a saw-and-sand job.
    What thickness of acrylic is the "Official MTBR" material?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    Lexan is also impossible to cut into shape with scissors, so it's a saw-and-sand job.

1 mm will cut with good scissors

I started off using 2 mm in my first lights then 1.5 for the Liberators easier to heat and bend than 2 mm .

and just this morning some 1 mm thick dropped through the mail box
    for a protection layer in front of reflectors and textured optics 1 mm is fine .

I cut all mine with knife with a concave blade in it like these

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    I use .75mm lexan as I got a remnant piece at the job. It cuts pretty easily with good scissors. I don't worry much that it scratches more easily than acrylic as the scratches could be polished out or the cover replaced with a new one.

Acrylic is too brittle to cut with scissors and must be saw cut or milled.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Vanc and Troutie.
    I remembered that someone was cutting with scissors- I guess it's the 0.75mm lexan I was thinking of.

Dirt Deviant
    I have some 1mm and 1.75mm lexan that I use scissors on to cut.
    The 1mm is easy to cut into shapes, but the 1.75mm, not so easy.
    I can cut it, but only in straight lines. I use a burly pair of Fiskars scissors.
    With cheap scissors, it would be a no go.
    I have a pair of flush cutters, made for electronics with a short 1/2 inch cutting edge that work really good for cutting lexan.
    It's very slow going and you have to make sure each cut is lined up properly, but they work very well.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    so, are there any sources where we can buy lexan or plexi lenses online?
    ..just ride...

Dirt Deviant
    Here is a place to get "lenses"
    http://www.flashlightlens.com/str/in...w&ref=polycarb

If you want raw material that you can cut to shape, the stuff is all over the place.
    http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/cate...47361135477064
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    i serched this place already, but i need a diameter 41mm lens......
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I got this tip from this forum: replacment lenses for velder masks are made from polycarbonate (aka lexan). Cheap and easily available. They are thin and can be cut with the tip of snapp-off knife.

Arne

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There is also this place which has some decent prices on some of their items.

http://www.k-mac-plastics.net/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

lexan

lexan is polycarbonate and plexiglass is arcylic. polycarbonate is the stronger material, almost 25 times stronger.

http://www.iplasticsupply.com/blog/

mtbr member
    whitedog .... is this any use.

... http://www.esslinger.com/watchcrysta...eralglass.aspx
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice site
    Depending on size, there are some up to 50mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Wonderful! a nice page with a lot of lenses
    In the meantime i got one lens from ebay with the exact dimensions
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A little bit late but, lexan (polycarbonate) is much more impact resistant than acrylic, although in something like a small cover its less of an issue. But its also quite a bit softer and will get scratched more easily. The other concern with lexan is it gets attacked by solvents quite easily so when you wash your bike or clean the cover you have to be more careful what you use. Pretty much any most oils and cleaners will attack the lexan.

I'd say unless you have a problem with Acrylic breaking and you can't use a thicker cover to stick with acrylic as in the long term it will hold up better

Carbon8er
    Not sure if there is any difference as far as heat tolerance goes, but I prefer Lexan because of it's strength.

I used Lexan for the front lens on my Triple P7.
    I machined rings into the lexan that the reflectors sit down into.

No problems with heat so far on my Lexan lens with 3 hot aluminum relectors and 3 P7's running at almost 8 amps.

More pics of that light here.
    http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights49.htm