mtbr member

New question here. which lenses to use...

Hello;

I'm building 2 sets of lights, one for the head and one for the bars and I'm trying to figure out which lenses to use for both (hopefully cutting down on the trial and error period as I didn't really make the housing capable of "easy" lens changes ). I'd like the bar to be a bit more "floody" and the head to be a bit more "spotty".

About the lights:
    Both are using 3 x Seoul LED's
    Both will be driven at 1A

About the lenses I have available (all are the 20mm Ledil(?) optics):
    4 x 5*
    4 x 15*
    2 x 25*

About the riding I will be doing with these lights:
    almost entirely singletrack, some fireroad / doubletrack
    generally twisty
    about 70% in the trees / 30% in open fields

So which lens combos do you think I should try out first?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I built a triple seoul for the head and one for the bars, used 3x15 degree for the bars and am very pleased! Used 2x5 and 1x15 for the head, the throw is amazing but would like more spill, have the lenses to trade to 2x15 and 1x5, just have not gotten around to it. I ride single track with an occasional fire road thrown in...

Rob

mtbr member
    I have a 4 on the shock and 2 on the helmet setup. I use a 15-6-6-15 on the shock and a 5-5 on the helmet. Mostly singletrack through trees. I like the spot for the helmet as it allows me to see way down the trail and really fills in anything I am looking at in tight sections. The fill from the shock mounted light is more than enough I think but personal preferences abound. I will say that with these combos I get a smooth even fill from the 4x setup and a great spot to pick out the details when needed from the lid

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Given the lenses you have, I'd first try:
    Helmet: 2x15, 1x5
    Bars: 2x15, 1x25 (I like 3x15 on bars, but you're one short and the extra spill might be nice)
    If you use silicone caulk to fasten your lenses, they're pretty easy to swap out. Oh wait, those are the stick-on Ledils? You can swap them too, but they will loose some stickiness the more you fool with them (then use silicone). I believe you'll be pretty happy with that set up.

I ride very similar sounding trails and this combo works great.

mtbr member
    Well, first things first, thanks for the replies.

I was a bit upset about not being able to easily change out my lenses, so I did a quick little redesign of my housing so that I can change out the lenses without too much headache (still a pain in the ar$e...but not as much of one).

Did a test ride of the system yesterday, and I was using 2 x 15* and 1 x 25* on the bars. It was good, but I thought there was a bit too much flood, so I'll likely drop in another 15* to make it a 3 x 15* for the bars and see how that goes.

On the head, I decided on 2 x 5* and 1 x 15*, and I really liked the spot and throw of the light. The spill was a bit lacking, but since I was also running the bar mount light I hardly noticed it.

If I was going to be using just the helmet light, I would definately change out the lenses to 2 x 15* and 1 x 5*. That being said, with the bar light, I think the 2 x 5* and 1 x 15* on the head was just about perfect.