mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    When an emitter fails, the circuit will sometimes be open an sometimes be closed. It's not like an incandescent bulb that always opens the circuit when it fails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You will sometimes get an open circuit and sometimes get a closed circuit if am emitter fails; this is different than an incandescent bulb, which always open the circuit when they fail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

LEDs in series question

I have been working on my first led light in between kids, job and life-kind of a slow build! It's a dual XLG with a 1000Ma Buck driver helmet light. I wired the leds in series. Soldered everything up last night and I had light! I then glued the reginas on the stars and went to bed and dreamed of awesome lit trails. This morning I hooked up the battery and only one led is on! It's not nice to cuss on Sunday morning!
    My question- if one led in series is not working, shouldn't none work? I wonder if I got too aggressive with my solder gun on the star. Using my ohm meter I can get current between on of my connections on the unlit led and the case. You might know this would happen after everything is glued down.
    People say you learn from your mistakes-I should be a genius! Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    XLG?? or XPG?
    what battery are you using?
    is the led thats on bright or dim? like 1000ma bright?
    what glue did you use for the reginas?
    I WANT TO BUY YOUR MAGICSHINE LIGHTS! Working or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    B Kruahnndon: I used XPG leds (I was in a big hurry on my first post-Sunday school pickup was looming!) I am using a 3S1P battery and the working light was bright. I glued the regina with hot glue spots and finished with artic alumina.
    P220C: Thanks for the info. I didn't know how leds behaved if bad. The thing that makes me mad at myself is I glued over my connections and wires and now it's going to be a mess. Another lesson learned! As I've made this light I have tried to make the case easy to dissassemble and not glue everything and that has been the hard part. Didn't do that on the stars and look what happened!