Dinner for wolves

Ledil Tina optics carrier

Hi all,

I just got a bolus of TIna optics of Digikey today, and I am noticing that the optics carrier will need to be trimmed in order to make room for solder blobs on the xp-gs they will eventually sit on. Old news, for sure. Has anyone tried to remove the optics from the carrier and just mount them directly to the MCPCB? I figure I would loose the 1mm or so thickness of the base of the carrier, and that would put the dome of the lamp that much higher up into the optic. Whaddya think, bad move?
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I say bad move. The holder is there to position the optic in a specific location relative to the led dome. If the optic was supposed to be positioned 1mm closer to the led dome the holder would've been designed to do so.

It won't be the end of the world if you do decide to reposition the optic, but don't expect to see the same result in the beam pattern.

mtbr member
    Diffferent lens, same XP-G: I had to fit the Carclo 10 mm square to 10 mm round MCPCB and they had to sit at the right height to work right.

I looked at the Tina's tech document. Interesting that the tape is cut to go around the leads/pad/solder but not the bottom of the shell. Weird. Looks like a little dremeling/shallow drilling to cut the needed clearance is in order. Maybe the pads are set up differently on the MCPCB's the Tina's were intended for.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Diffferent lens, same XP-G: I had to fit the Carclo 10 mm square to 10 mm round MCPCB and they had to sit at the right height to work right.

I looked at the Tina's tech document. Interesting that the tape is cut to go around the leads/pad/solder but not the bottom of the shell. Weird. Looks like a little dremeling/shallow drilling to cut the needed clearance is in order. Maybe the pads are set up differently on the MCPCB's the Tina's were intended for.
    Modifying the square 21mm ledil lens holders to fit on Seoul SSC stars was irritating. The Tina holders look thinner and perhaps less of a bear to modify, though. I may have to figure out a way to test the two set ups before I commit. Thanks for the input
    Responds to gravity

Lets RIDE!
    I just got some Tinas and 10mm square XP-Gs in the mail today from Cutter (thanks for the quick (and free:-) shipping Mark!) The optic holders are in fact very thin, and will definitely need some modification to allow for solder/wiring clearance.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.