Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ledil Regina reflector just in

just got some Ledil regina reflectors from Bram to have a play with

quick target shot at 2 metres from the target ignore the colour as I have not got to adding an XPE R3 to the test bed yet so used the natural one already there .

XPG

XPE

They do have a pretty tight bottom end so may go on one of Quazzles singles with a bit of dremeling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    They do have a pretty tight bottom end so may go on one of Quazzles singles with a bit of dremeling
    Thanks for the pics Troutie
    Do the locating pins fit nicely somewhere?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Thanks for the pics Troutie
    Do the locating pins fit nicely somewhere?
    not on my 10 mm square boards I had to take them off and trim a bit out for the solder pad.

would be OK on a bigger board and just a fraction out on the round 10 mm boards .

will try for outdoor shots this weekend

A waste of time it is is
    Is it just me or does that XPG shot look just what we want for a helmet mount, tight bright centre with usable spill?

Thanks for sharing Chris.

Have / can you tried it on the MC-E?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Is it just me or does that XPG shot look just what we want for a helmet mount, tight bright centre with usable spill?

Thanks for sharing Chris.

Have / can you tried it on the MC-E?

I have not yet shone it in the dark so no idea how far it goes the XPE looks tight

not a chance on an mce the hole is XP sized

mtbr member
    just got some Ledil regina reflectors from Bram to have a play with
    Ummm..Impressive....no one else asked yet so I'll be the first, what size are these reflectors and do they come in different sizes? ( diameter, length ) Can't wait to see the beam shots on the trail. ( Also, still waiting for a triple 20mm XP-E R-3 beam shot demo. )

Anyway, if the trail beam shots are narrow enough on the XP-G with regina, a nice helmet build ( a la amoeba ) either dual or 3-up might be forthcoming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    ... what size are these reflectors and do they come in different sizes?
    http://www.ledil.com/datasheets/DataSheet_Regina.pdf

mtbr member
    Ummm..Impressive....no one else asked yet so I'll be the first, what size are these reflectors and do they come in different sizes? ( diameter, length ) Can't wait to see the beam shots on the trail. ( Also, still waiting for a triple 20mm XP-E R-3 beam shot demo. )

Anyway, if the trail beam shots are narrow enough on the XP-G with regina, a nice helmet build ( a la amoeba ) either dual or 3-up might be forthcoming.

they are looking promising will have to wait till night and may get to do the R3 @ 1.5 amps this weekend Well 1.4 amps if I get the Hipflex wired up.

mtbr member
    Thanks Znomit, Boss has my nose to the grindstone this week so I was too lazy to look it up myself. I like what I'm seeing with these. The beam pattern looks very similar to what I'm seeing with the XP-G drop-in reflector only the Regina is about 5mm smaller in diameter. Looks like these could be good for compact builds....depending on the outcome of the Troutie trail beam shot comparison.

mtbr member

Regina In The Woods

Finally the darkness arrived before I had some beer this time so got to do some shots .
    They look pretty good for a single led light .
    but what is not quite shown in the pics is they have a very defined cut off at the edge which you may like or hate .

first is the XPE @ 1 amp

now the XPG @ 1 amp

Heidi for a comparison not looking too great

I am impressed they both are very useable
    Last edited by troutie-mtb; 05-23-2010 at 05:57 AM.

A waste of time it is is
    OOh I like very much. Is the G at 1A or 1.4A on the hipflex? There certainly is a noticeable difference in output.

Thanks for sharing Chris

mtbr member
    OOh I like very much. Is the G at 1A or 1.4A on the hipflex? There certainly is a noticeable difference in output.

Thanks for sharing Chris

The xpg is at 1 amp as I can only use the bench power supply to go higher and did not have a 3 mile cable .and have not yet used the hipflex .

I am likeing the way ledil are going getting better use from less lumens can only be good for us would like to do a 1 amp and 1.5 amp pic from the xpg in the woods .

just a thought for the EExperts could I use my bench power supply useing an inverter from the car battery I have the inverter just dont know if it will work without trying but dont want to kill anything

mtbr member
    Yep, the G does look good. A two or 3 - up on the helmet using the reginas could work. It's amazing how well an XP-G can throw when you put all the light where it's needed.

Troutie, anyway you can show us what a two or 3up xpg beam pattern might look like with the regina?

Troutie, about the bench power supply. It depends on how much power (watts) the bench supply draws and how much (watts) the inverter is rated for. One of the web sites I visited that sells only inverters suggested having an inverter rated for 2x the rating of the load device. According to the website this had something to do with initial surge current coming into play.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi there Trout, My 400W inverter runs my 200W lab power supply fine. I hear some moaning and groaning, works fine. The inverter is quite a load on the battery though. Later, James

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    +1 on the XP-G 3-up shot! I'd love to see that! The 1-up already looks great, much potential hehehehe : )

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The more I look at it...the more I'm really loving that XP-G 1A pic. I'm thinking some sort of "double-barrel" thing is in order. Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    The more I look at it...the more I'm really loving that XP-G 1A pic. I'm thinking some sort of "double-barrel" thing is in order. Hmmm...
    ....Make it and they shall buy...

what a joke
    They look impressive on the XPG.

Newbie question....can they be fitted to the 7UP?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oz - Having looked at the datasheet, thats a big no, too big, too deep

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/foru...th-a-big-heart

Are you keeping this from us, Mr T? 7 Up's little brother is born!

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisterG
    Oz - Having looked at the datasheet, thats a big no, too big, too deep

Thanks mate, I thought it was a little optimistic.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How does this compare with the Ledil LXP? Datasheets show a 0.5 degree FHWM difference so they would seem comparable on paper, but we all know how that goes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisterG
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/foru...th-a-big-heart

Are you keeping this from us, Mr T? 7 Up's little brother is born!

Ha Ha that is what happens when you leave your machinist to play with some leds and optics looks sweet though .

going to fine tune it a bit and see what happens .

Hell would be a nice beam in on the 7 up but sadly no chance.

MtbikerTi
    probably the best beam on the xpg I have seen so far more experiments soon .

mtbr member
    Ha Ha that is what happens when you leave your machinist to play with some leds and optics looks sweet though .

going to fine tune it a bit and see what happens .

Hell would be a nice beam in on the 7 up but sadly no chance.

MtbikerTi
    probably the best beam on the xpg I have seen so far more experiments soon .
    ...Trouts...that is a nice beam pattern on that light. Is this a 35mm board with XP-G? What are the optics? The build looks a little big on the helmet but what the hey. In this case beam pattern trumps size ( which in this case is really not all that bad, looks about the size of my xr-e quad.) I really like how almost all the light goes forward. This is what a helmet light is supposed to do. So far this is one of the best Helmet light beam patterns I have seen on a light. Can't wait to see what a triple G with Regina's will do..( hint, hint )

mtbr member
    ...Trouts...that is a nice beam pattern on that light. Is this a 35mm board with XP-G? What are the optics? The build looks a little big on the helmet but what the hey. In this case beam pattern trumps size ( which in this case is really not all that bad, looks about the size of my xr-e quad.) I really like how almost all the light goes forward. This is what a helmet light is supposed to do. So far this is one of the best Helmet light beam patterns I have seen on a light. Can't wait to see what a triple G with Regina's will do..( hint, hint )

This is no ground breaking set up just the old faithfull Carclo 20 mm triple with 3 XPE R3 leds @ 1 amp
    I asked him to shrink down the 7 up style to fit the 20 mm optic with quazzles driver on board triple in mind but he did the first proto with space inside for a Bflex .

Just waiting for a controlable board and then a few tweaks to make it smaller and more surface area .

then back on topic ref the Regina I have managed to cram 2 on to XPGs in the battery on board test rig so just waiting till dark for a walk in the woods .

mtbr member
    That test rig looks a bit too slick Mr Trout!

This is my test rig.......

3 x xpe r2 (carclo 20mm triple), 2x xpg r5 (regina)

The xpe triple reduces the severe "cut off" that the reflectors create at the edge of the beam.... and help to make an excelent and very bright light with loads of throw and spill.

Its a winner !!!

Cheers Bram!!!

mtbr member

Damn and blast

All systems go for a beam shot and the Daughter has gone and knicked my camera .

I have just been shining it about outside it would appear to be a good un for a 2 led bike light . now where is that 1.5 amp driver 900 lumens from 2 leds Awesome

mtbr member

Phew that was close camera just returned

You are not going to believe this is only 2 XPG`s @ 960 ma drive

Yes the down side is the very sharp cutoff at the edges But you cant have everything

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thats ultra impressive Troutie, well done.
    How about getting one done to loan out for MM in a few weeks

A waste of time it is is
    WOW, that is very impressive.

Is that one of Teapots drivers I spy in the case, if so what have you got between it and the housing to both isolate it and also secure it? Have you wired it for dimmable or not?

Nice branding on the batteries

BTW, you keep forgetting to take the hedge trimmer don't you

mtbr member
    WOW, that is very impressive.

Is that one of Teapots drivers I spy in the case, if so what have you got between it and the housing to both isolate it and also secure it? Have you wired it for dimmable or not?

Nice branding on the batteries

BTW, you keep forgetting to take the hedge trimmer don't you

Sure is one of those drivers and yes it is dimmable but I must have used a wrongish resistor as it doesnot seem to make much difference to the light output .

it is held with a some silicon and some thin fibre board from smudges batteries .

mtbr member
    This is no ground breaking set up just the old faithfull Carclo 20 mm triple with 3 XPE R3 leds @ 1 amp
    I asked him to shrink down the 7 up style to fit the 20 mm optic with quazzles driver on board triple in mind but he did the first proto with space inside for a Bflex .
    Dang, you don't say. Well, I guess that about settles it. I'm going to have to replace my 20mm triple G with the XP-E R3, no if's, and's or but's.

That double G with regina looks nice as well. A double barrel G, powered by two 18650's....should be lite enough to mount the whole kit on the helmet and still provide about 1.5 to 2hrs on high ( 1000ma ). Personally I don't need an All-in-one, just the light on front with battery on rear of the helmet. Should be more balanced that way, depending on your helmet I suppose.

Trouts, I tip my hat to you for providing all those nice beam shots....not to mention making some sweet little light set-ups. This has turned out to be A Most Informative Thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Compared to the beamshot of the Baby 3 (which is still pretty fine), your twin Regina throws superbly with an even transition to foreground . If it were me, a design based around the Regina would be the one I'd OK for production, cute though the Baby 3 is. I don't think that sharp cutoff will be too critical as a supplementary/helmet light and will surely make a great bar mounted roadie light too. Get your machinist on a neat design - previous track record is good - job's on for a terrific all-in-one to crush the Diablo/Toro.

mtbr member
    You is spot on there AliG

I am even more gobsmacked about the performance of the Regina now I have had a couple of night walks with the long suffering hound .

bit of a misty night tonight sort of defines the beam shape a bit so took a some snaps

triple XPG on the carclo 20 mm triple optic

triple XPE on the carclo 20 mm optic

double XPG on the Regina reflectors

they are all 3 great lights but comparing them out in the open and the 2 led + Regina is an absolute belter .
    the mist shows the beam well but reflects alot of light and I would like to see the same shots in the clear air .

and lastly in me left hand the double XPG / regina and my right hand the triple XPE / carclo

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's incredible. I've been trying to source some Regina's ever since I saw your first pic. LOL...nobody's got 'em. Bram won't return PM's.

Oh well...they'll def. become more popular now. People will have to start carrying them after this thread.

Great comparison troutie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Troutie I'm still keen (depending on price etc) on the 2x LED with built in battery pack when available

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Those regina optics are just awesome. Now i'm going to have to make more lights....

Homer
    Sorry for the inresponsiveness, just sent me an email and I'll reply asap. Reginas are underway
    That's incredible. I've been trying to source some Regina's ever since I saw your first pic. LOL...nobody's got 'em. Bram won't return PM's.

Oh well...they'll def. become more popular now. People will have to start carrying them after this thread.

Great comparison troutie.
    Need optics for DIY bike lights?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's all good...I emailed you and sent you some PayPal fundage today.

Thanks a ton, man! I can't wait.

mtbr member
    After looking at the last photo set: The double Regina rules. For those not willing to wait for the Regina to come in full production....This XPG drop in has a reflector that might even be tighter that the Regina > http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...roductId=10064
    I suppose I could provide a wall beam shot if someone really wanted it. The reflectors come off and are 23-25mm in diameter. I would think they should be easy to convert to a DIY.

FWIW, I noticed that Kaidomain also sells the single XP-G R5 boards....14mm (round) and 20mm ( star ) Prices look decent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've got one from DX. It appears to be the exact same one. IMO it's a tad too tight for mountain biking. If I used a pr. of the drop-ins, I'd not only space them apart, I'd angle them out a couple degrees to be able to cover the trail in front of me. I had mine strapped to my bars with my Homebrew P7 and a MagicShine on my helmet. Took them out to do some comparisons and just couldn't quite "get into" my R5. I think the reflector is just a tad to big/deep. It's a killah beam as a flashlight for sure...but as I said...a bit too spotty for my taste when I ride.

mtbr member
    I've got one from DX. It appears to be the exact same one. IMO it's a tad too tight for mountain biking. If I used a pr. of the drop-ins, I'd not only space them apart, I'd angle them out a couple degrees to be able to cover the trail in front of me....
    Yep, my thought exactly. Lately I've been using my XP-G drop-in with a drop-in XR-E reflector ( same size ). This reflector makes the beam a little wider, maybe because the opening is bigger at the emitter. (?) I think if you used both types you might get the best of both worlds, throw and spill. However I don't have two to test this theory out. Anyway looks like Brum is getting more of the Regina.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-29-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    is the Regina available for purchase?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    is the Regina available for purchase?
    From Brum on CPF

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=175502

mtbr member
    troutie,
    The pictures with the Regina reflectors have a much less green tint than the others.

Is that due to the reflectors or are the LEDs a different tint?

mtbr member
    I was reading the data sheet for the Regina reflectors. What the heck is "metallized PC"? Is this some kind of plastic with metal coating?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    troutie,
    The pictures with the Regina reflectors have a much less green tint than the others.

Is that due to the reflectors or are the LEDs a different tint?
    They are from the last lot I got from cutters which were XPGWHT-L1-0000-00H51 R5

Being slightly colour defictive I saw now green tint

Cat I believe it means metalised poly carbonate

mtbr member
    ....Cat I believe it means metalised poly carbonate
    ...Ah, I see. The data sheet said PC. Over here in the colonies we Yanks read PC and think Politically Correct. Since there are different grades of polycarbonate ( anywhere from glass like lenses to plastic water bottles ) I was at least in the ball park.
    I guess as long as they aren't exposed to over 150 degrees C. they should hold their shape. One of my torches has one of these metallized plastic reflectors. Personally I've never had a problem with mine but I know that some people don't like them ( for whatever reason (?) )

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    so I ordered some of the Reginas from Bram. What would you use to cover the front of them to keep water out? Am I stuck going to DX?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    so I ordered some of the Reginas from Bram. What would you use to cover the front of them to keep water out? Am I stuck going to DX?

No your not stuck I bought some 1 mm and 2 mm thick Lexan from a seller on EvilBay and cut ny own

or use a CD cover as a temp one if you go down the DX KD route only thing with the cd covers is they are a bit brittle so care is needed when cutting a bit of warmth from a hair dryer helps .

another option if you have a welding supplies co the clear face plates for welding masks is good too , it is a throw away item so cheap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast