mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Ledil Anna & 7 Up Questions

Any good? Anyone got hold of one yet? If so, anyone tried plugging into a Troute to see if it improves throw? Much as I love my 7up, I would sacrifice some of that gorgeous peripheral light for more throw. 7 ups seem to have become old news since the release of XML.

Also, what became of DStar's Septair? Bikeradar's big light roundup came and went, no sign of it since. Notwithstanding their opinions on its drawbacks, the beam seemed narrower and brighter than Trout's 7up in Bikeradar's pix (always subjective, I know...) but at the time of the test, the Khatod was, to my knowledge, the only available optic.

How did DStar appear to obtain better throw, given identical components? Was the Septair XPE only or was there some variation of the optic?

Many thanks in advance, Al

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Finally get to answer my own question. Probably a year too late though. But if you're still running a 7 up and you haven't already swapped...

Early days, not tested it ouside in the dark yet but against a white wall Anna 40-7 (C11716) is a good swap for the Khatod. A brighter, better defined spot, no halo and generally less peripheral light. Still expect it to be quite floody though. Anna looks like the Betty XPG optic, so I expect a similar beam pattern.

Won't fit a Troutie 7up without a little firkling though, you'll need to gently sand away the lip around the edge to square it off, before it snugs into the aperture, where it sits slightly recessed compared to the Khatod. I bought two, in case I fubar'd the first.

Might try Polymer Optic 261 when RS have them in again, just to see how they look.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisterG View Post
    Finally get to answer my own question. Probably a year too late though. But if you're still running a 7 up and you haven't already swapped...

Early days, not tested it ouside in the dark yet but against a white wall Anna 40-7 (C11716) is a good swap for the Khatod. A brighter, better defined spot, no halo and generally less peripheral light. Still expect it to be quite floody though. Anna looks like the Betty XPG optic, so I expect a similar beam pattern.

Won't fit a Troutie 7up without a little firkling though, you'll need to gently sand away the lip around the edge to square it off, before it snugs into the aperture, where it sits slightly recessed compared to the Khatod. I bought two, in case I fubar'd the first.

Might try Polymer Optic 261 when RS have them in again, just to see how they look.
    Now, where are the beamshots?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Will try tonight, but my cheap supermarket camera isn't up to much...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Might struggle with worthwhile beamshots. But a trial outside in the garden was revealing. Anna is an improvement, with a caveat.

If you can easily take your 7up apart, I think its well worth doing and I am happy with the Anna. If tearing the light apart will be difficult because all the bits are gummed in, borderline. If you still wanted to make (or could buy) a 7up XPE/G, it probably isn't worth it, more recent lights might well do a better job.

Comparing my Khatod optic to the new Anna, Anna's centre spot is slightly larger and perceptibly/noticably brighter. There is no dark ring or outer halo, just a smooth transition to a useable peripheral light.

The differences between the two seems most obvious to the eye when on the lowest setting. I found the Khatod gave a weak, broad puddle of light on L1 (when L5 = 1000mA). Anna gives a more focused, useable light on L1. You lose the broad flood, get some more focused flood, but it is still a flood. Throw is better, but still not a thrower, which is as expected.

May buy a PO 261, just to compare, but its greater depth will require greater modding to fit in the Troutie 7up body. My thoughts are: ditch the Lexan, pack out the space between body and metal ring, carefully tweak the corners of the optic and glue a piece of 40mm dia glass to the front.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Might struggle with worthwhile beamshots. But a trial outside in the garden was revealing. Anna is an improvement, with a caveat.

If you can easily take your 7up apart, I think its well worth doing and I am happy with the Anna. If tearing the light apart will be difficult because all the bits are gummed in, borderline. If you still wanted to make (or could buy) a 7up XPE/G, it probably isn't worth it, more recent lights might well do a better job.

Comparing my Khatod optic to the new Anna, Anna's centre spot is slightly larger and perceptibly/noticably brighter. There is no dark ring or outer halo, just a smooth transition to a useable peripheral light.

The differences between the two seems most obvious to the eye when on the lowest setting. I found the Khatod gave a weak, broad puddle of light on L1 (when L5 = 1000mA). Anna gives a more focused, useable light on L1. You lose the broad flood, get some more focused flood, but it is still a flood. Throw is better, but still not a thrower, which is as expected.

May buy a PO 261, just to compare, but its greater depth will require greater modding to fit in the Troutie 7up body. My thoughts are: ditch the Lexan, pack out the space between body and metal ring, carefully tweak the corners of the optic and glue a piece of 40mm dia glass to the front.
    I actually have the Polymer Optic in one of my Troutie 7up lights. You can fit it without tossing anything. The optics do sit a few mm higher than the Khatod as you're aware, so what I did is placed a 40mm o-ring around the periphery of the Polymer Optic and also cut apart another o-ring and placed the two halves on the inside of the screw holes on each side. You can then put the lexan and trim ring on top and tighten it all down evenly to squish the o-rings a bit. The trim ring will end up being a little proud at the bottom edge but the end result still looks pretty good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ledil Anna & 7 Up Questions-p1010592.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Tidy mod. Was the beam better?

Tidy mod. Was the beam better?
    Yes, definitely better. I also find myself beamshot challenged unfortunately, but there was previous link to beamshots with these optics and if I can find that again I'll amend this post.

I would describe the beam as a lot more focused without the annoying halo effect that we enjoy from the Khatod optics. Beam is very similar to the spot effect that Carclo 20mm 3up optics deliver, if you're familiar with those. The effect is more pronounced with XPE emitters which is what is in the Troutie in my picture.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Got a spare one to sell by any chance? Anna is slightly shallower than the Khatod, so a deeper optic has the potential to better Anna. Nothing in the UK at the moment, its US or Germany.

Got a spare one to sell by any chance? Anna is slightly shallower than the Khatod, so a deeper optic has the potential to better Anna. Nothing in the UK at the moment, its US or Germany.
    Unfortunately no, I only bought one of the narrow... also bought a medium but I don't think you'd want that since you're going for best throw. I'm located in Canada and bought them from Future Electronics if that helps at all. Funny they aren't available in the UK given Polymer Optics is a UK company IIRC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the link. Better throw, as good as could be expected of a collection of small optics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A Polymer Optics 261 landed on the doormat a few days ago. I prefer Anna, just. The 261 gives a larger, more even wide spot with no distinct fade. Anna's smaller centre 'spot' is of greater intensity, with a gradual transition to a broader periphery. Given they are both floody anyway, Anna takes it by a nose, for me.