mtbr member
    Nov 2007

LED wiring understanding

Hi everyone. I have been doing a bit of research on LED lights on this forum but have not posted before, so this is my first post!

I understand that you use a driver to regulate the current to the LED. Alot of these can supply 1000mA. Is this total output? or is this to each LED if you are using multiple LED's? do you need multiple drivers for multiple LED's? are they in series or parallell?

Sorry for all the questions, I have a basic understanding of electronics but I need to see a complete wiring diagrams to work out whats going on.

Want to design a multiple LED system. Hope somebody can explain this to get me going.

Thanks

Tristan

Spanish biker
    Hi, Tristan, welcome to this forum

The current depends of the led configuration, normally this works in serial that + - + - + - then in serial the current circulate to 1a for all leds, if you mount the leds on parallel, then you have that divide the total current for the number of leds.

I recommend to you that your desing will are in serial, more much easy of desing and this works better.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks mate. That has cleared a few things up. So how many LED's can you run off 1 driver in series?

mtbr member

Depends...

...on the power rating of the converter. I believe the Buck Puck is rated up to 18W output:

http://www.ledsupply.com/buckpuck.ph...FQEBswodFAgcMw

Anyone else?

If you are thinking of a larger array of LEDs, you can run 2 (or more) series strings, each controled by its own converter. The current draw on the batteries climbs with each string though.

I'm not finding the power limit on the bFlex:

http://www.taskled.com/bflex.html

Walt

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by supertee
    Thanks mate. That has cleared a few things up. So how many LED's can you run off 1 driver in series?
    Answer: it depends on your driver. You look at the forward voltage of the LEDs at 1A (usually about 3.7V) and add them up. If well below (by a couple volts) your battery voltage, you use a "Buck" driver (steps voltage down). If well above (by a couple volts) your battery voltage, you use a "Boost" driver. If you are right in the battery voltage range, you have other options, but you generally want to clearly buck or boost, and with so many battery options there is no reason not to.
    For driver selection, you need to understand how much voltage you can input to your driver (battery voltage), and how much the driver can output to the leds (add up all the LED forward voltages when wired in series).

Tips:
    • you generally want the voltage somewhat near the LED voltage for maximum driver efficiency (e.g. you don't want an 18V pack running a 3.7V LED).
    • Using a buck driver is generally considered more efficient, and it is also easier on the battery (stepping down battery voltage pulls less current than stepping up battery voltage, and batteries prefer low current draw).
    However, lots of people are doing the same thing in lots of different ways, so these are just general good practices, not the only way to do it.

Good luck

mtbr member
    May 2005

Buckpuck wiring diagrams

Take a look at the 3021/3023 buckpuck datasheet for some sample wiring diagrams:
    http://www.theledlight.com/pdf/Drivers/BuckPuck.pdf

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    thanks for all your help guys, its all starting to make sense now

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Supertee, thread direction change.

This site is addictive. Since mistakenly getting to this forum approximatly two months ago, (I'm a weight weenie), I've replaced my MR11 lamp with a tripple R2 LED set-up (it's absoulity awsome). And I can't stop logging on and reading about the latest!!!

Be carefull.

DFH

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkfh
    This site is addictive. Since mistakenly getting to this forum approximatly two months ago, (I'm a weight weenie), I've replaced my MR11 lamp with a tripple R2 LED set-up (it's absoulity awsome). And I can't stop logging on and reading about the latest!!!

Be carefull.

DFH
    Hi, What reason have you are very, very addictive, hehehe. Could you put any beamshot of your triple R2 leds, please...

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    how many led's are you thinking of doing? And you also have to take into account which battery you are planning on using as that is going to limit you on how many led's and drivers you are going to use.

I have built 3 lights with 6 led's each. I went with a 14.8v battery but this is not enough to power 6 led's off a buck puck or bflex. So what i did was use 2 drivers each driving 3 led's and its been working great. So i have a set of 3 led's in series off of a buckpuck and another 3 led's in series off of another buckpuck then both buckpuck's go to the same battery. All 6 led's are getting 1000mah of power and is super bright. Of course it drains the battery twice as fast as someone with just 3 led's but that is expected with 6.

I also just built a 3 led setup using a 7.2v battery and a boost controller. So I guess first step would be pick how many led's you want to use. Find optics/reflectors and plan a housing for them. Then figure out what battery you want to run then choose a driver for them. Do some reasearch on how the drivers work (boost/buck) and then you will be able to understand what battery you will need for the amount of led's and what run times you can expect. Like a 1v battery isn't going to power 3 led's at 1000mah even with a boostpuck because there just isn't enough power there. I didn't do my inital cacluations correctly on the first build and ended up buying extra stuff where a little more research might have saved me alittle time and money in the end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878
    how many led's are you thinking of doing? And you also have to take into account which battery you are planning on using as that is going to limit you on how many led's and drivers you are going to use.

I have built 3 lights with 6 led's each. I went with a 14.8v battery but this is not enough to power 6 led's off a buck puck or bflex. So what i did was use 2 drivers each driving 3 led's and its been working great. So i have a set of 3 led's in series off of a buckpuck and another 3 led's in series off of another buckpuck then both buckpuck's go to the same battery. All 6 led's are getting 1000mah of power and is super bright. Of course it drains the battery twice as fast as someone with just 3 led's but that is expected with 6.

I also just built a 3 led setup using a 7.2v battery and a boost controller. So I guess first step would be pick how many led's you want to use. Find optics/reflectors and plan a housing for them. Then figure out what battery you want to run then choose a driver for them. Do some reasearch on how the drivers work (boost/buck) and then you will be able to understand what battery you will need for the amount of led's and what run times you can expect. Like a 1v battery isn't going to power 3 led's at 1000mah even with a boostpuck because there just isn't enough power there. I didn't do my inital cacluations correctly on the first build and ended up buying extra stuff where a little more research might have saved me alittle time and money in the end.

Will do mate. I am going to buy a Brightstar HID to keep me going this season and thats means I wont rush the LED thing. Want to design a 2 LED for the helmet and probably 6-8 on the bars. I always like to go a bit overkill!
    Thanks for the advise!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Anyone have a wiring diagram for the taskled bflex ?http://www.taskled.com/techbflex.html

I've read their pdf and everything seems pretty straightforward, just want to make sure so I don't fry the controller/leds/battery/etc!

thanks,
    dave