mtbr member

LED in a vistalight question

There was post here some time ago with a link to another site detailing how someone changed the bulb in their 400 series vistalite for an LED. It's time to see if I can resurrect my old lights. I have searched but can't find the post. Can anyone offer any pointers?

Thanks

Tim

Dr Gadget is IN

No real help here - just my own devious plans

I'm actually working on something similar - got an old vistalite lighthead from a friend. It takes a MR11 halogen and has a built in switch. Its not a bad choice for retrofit because the housing is diecast metal.

MR11 size is too small for stars - so bare SSC P4 emitters with a plastic locator sheet sitting in thermal paste with a filter paper separator on an aluminum plate that is tightly fitted to the inside of the housing, using a khatod triple lense, and the vistalite housing cap clamps it all in place. Whew. The hard part is the Al plate. Oh,and cutting out some internal ribs that look like bulb supports.

Power from a 14.8V Li-on battery driving thru a 750mA buckpuck - I'd go 1A, but since there is no place for a finned heat exchanger I'm betting the outer surface wouldn't lose enough heat for the higher power - and 200 lumens vs 240 (nominal - and at cool temp) isn't that much difference. I've run P4 cateyes at stock 700mA and 1A - you can tell the difference but it isn't dramatic.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant