mtbr member

LED mounting question

Hi!
    I just received most of the parts to build my triple CREE Headlamp (all but the battery). My first of many questions to come is:

- What is the best way to mount my LEDs to the LED holder? I ordered 3 CREE X-RE P5 LEDs (unmounted to any star), one mounting board (separate from the LEDs), a triple lens from Cutter and a cheapo PCB from Kaidomain. I see that many most people are using a special glue to fix their LEDs to their mounting board but I only have crazy glue and was wondering if it could do the job. If I use superglue, it will probably block the current that could come from the mounting board so I could weld the wires directly on the LEDs (Being careful not to burn them.....)

I would appreciate any help and don't be shy to post pics of how you mounted your LEDs...

mtbr member

A little help here please....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use artic silver themro epoxy to mount my led's to my heat sink. You want something that is going to transfer the heat. Another person told me I could use regular cpu thermo grease and regular epoxy kinda mixed together but I already had the artic silver epoxy. I don't think super glue by itself is a good thermo conductor but I have never tried it. I'll look for pics of how i did it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    here is the artic silver epoxy i used:

The led's wired and attached to my heat sink:

More details of my build:

my LED light build.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    It helps but not for my current situation; I bought my LEDs unmounted, they dont have the star like yours... I could try to weld my wires directly on the LEDs but they are so small, I will burn them...

I'M taking pics in 10 minutes...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have bare emitters also and you just solder the wires to the pins that stick out of the led like normally. Or if you want you can order blank stars if you want it easier to mount them.

I thought you were asking how to mount your led's to your housing. I wouldn't use superglue to attach the wires to the led's. Soder them, if you have a good soldering iron it shouldn't be a problem. Kinda like soldering two wires together.

mtbr member
    Here we go, first time posting pics....

The LED

The board

mtbr member
    Sigh, I'm French Canadian and English is getting harder each year....

Ok, but if I want to fix my LEDs to the board (2nd pic) and use the copper ''wire'' on the board to give current to my LEDs... how do I do it? There must be a way to fix my LEDs on the board, then only solder 2 wires on the + and - tabs on the board without having to solder wires directly on the LED....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Do not use super glue! Period!
    The vapors will distroy the lense of the led.
    It's sounds to me like you are a long way from the assembly process.
    You will damage your parts and I'm sure you don't want to do that after waiting so long to get them.
    Patience is a virtue in this process.

1st If your Crees are bare emitters you don't want to use the star boards.
    2nd You need to (VERY CAREFULLY) sand off the corners under the Pos and Neg ends of the emitters. These points are conductive so you need to get rid of them.
    3rd Check with a meter for continuity to make sure you removed enough material.
    4th Use the Artic Alumina adhesive to mount the emitters directly to the heatsink.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mofoki; 12-11-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: trouble posting image

mtbr member
    Great, this is what I wanted to know and yes, I'm totaly new to this! It will either work.... Or burn!!!!!!!

I'll post pics when the project will be more advanced!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Sorry for double posting but I had more to say.

These things generate alot of heat. Glues are not going to hold in the long term. You need to solder wires on them. If you can't solder I'm sure you probably know someone who can. Get them to help. If you attempt to solder for yourself I suggest you practice alot and use good silver solder and flux. And a very fine tip solder iron. This is an easy project if you have the talent for it. It can also be a big dissapointment if you don't get it exactly right the first time.

I've made mistakes at this in the past, we all have, and I do it for a living. Congrats on at least making the attempt to make your own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I don't know if you seen the website "Candle Power Forums" but there is tons of information over there. Those flashlights geeks know what's going on when it comes to portable lighting. I guess I'm turning into one of those geeks because I spend alot of time there myself. I use the same name there too. I'm currently working on builds using the new K2 0180 LED's.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I just subscribed to the forum but there is so much info in there!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    OK, go to http://flashlight-forums.com/index.p...0;sort=starter
    look up mods done by 3rd-shift. He even has videos. Maybe that will help.

mtbr member