mtbr member
    Feb 2004

LED Light Comparison

HERE's an online LED light comparison - 8 different lights from 6 different manufacturers with an on-trail photo comparison.
    Last edited by kafin8ed; 12-14-2007 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice, I really enjoy reading reviews. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Thanks! I've been looking for a good review on the Knog Gator 605. I think my next light will be the NR TriNewt.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    cool

swag ho Administrator
    Thank you for the link! Good read. I don't have the Princeton and the Topeak so that is interesting. Good news is I have a lot more lights to compare.

The sky on their photos keeps changing brightness. That doesn't seem right and leads me to believe the light sensitivity of the camera is changing between those lights. Exposure settings should be locked and the sky should look the same on all the shots.

fc
    Last edited by francois; 12-14-2007 at 06:22 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The exposure settings are all the same, the camera was in manual mode ( a Canon 1D mkII), the focus was manual so was the ISO, F-stop, and shutter speed. There is observable variations in background brightness. I am pretty sure that is because there is a neighborhood with a bunch of street lights opposite the ridge from the hill in the background. The night we shot these a storm was blowing in and layers of clouds would waft in off the ocean every minute or so. You are seeing the clouds moving in the background as they reflect the light from the street lamps and it's changing the brightness levels slightly as they move around. Trust me consistent foreground exposure from shot to shot was the first thing on my list of things to do. I didn't worry about the background though. I think you would see the same thing shooting a bunch of pics in the SF fog at night with manual exposure, some variation is noticeable. Ask PJ about it if you like, I sent him a link to the page also.

-Alan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The only thing I would have liked is if the pictures were a little wider so we could get a slightly wider view of the light beam.

All in all- definitely very well done and appreciated.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kafin8ed
    The exposure settings are all the same, the camera was in manual mode ( a Canon 1D mkII), the focus was manual so was the ISO, F-stop, and shutter speed. There is observable variations in background brightness. I am pretty sure that is because there is a neighborhood with a bunch of street lights opposite the ridge from the hill in the background. The night we shot these a storm was blowing in and layers of clouds would waft in off the ocean every minute or so. You are seeing the clouds moving in the background as they reflect the light from the street lamps and it's changing the brightness levels slightly as they move around. Trust me consistent foreground exposure from shot to shot was the first thing on my list of things to do. I didn't worry about the background though. I think you would see the same thing shooting a bunch of pics in the SF fog at night with manual exposure, some variation is noticeable. Ask PJ about it if you like, I sent him a link to the page also.

-Alan
    Koo. That makes sense Alan. Moving low clouds can reflect city lights.

I had the exposure problem on my ad hoc photoshoot in front of my house. I had the camera on Shutter priority and the camera was changing light sensitivity on me. The only reason I noticed is the porch light of my neighbor was changing in brightness.
    380 grams equals 960 lumens

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Awesome pictures. I am a DIY kind of guy but the MiNewt and TriNewt look amazing. My lights look similar to the Princeton Tec Switchback except one is flood and the other is a spot.

BTW, I love the rollover for the light comparison. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Very nice. I, also, like the roll over feature.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

2007 LED Lights comparison

check out for comparison

may be early 07 but sill shows a lot of good information.

http://www.gearreview.com/2007_led_lights.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hideano
    check out for comparison

may be early 07 but sill shows a lot of good information.

http://www.gearreview.com/2007_led_lights.php
    LEDs have changed too much too fast. I'm working on the followup to this review right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

newer leds

hope ya include the obscure ones such as:

the dinetto 600l, Knog 605, night lighting iBlast from NZ, AY-UP, HID Technologie's LED.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hope has a 4 led coming out http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_21.html
    a single here http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_22.html
    and a dual already http://www.hopetechusa.com/voir_visled.html

i guess the dual is a bit dated...but the other 2 interesting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hope 4 LED -1000 lumes - already on sale

at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=24167
    not the greatest run time. I would need 4 more batteries. or 1 extra and a car charger.
    wonder what price is for extra batteries?
    iBlast -720 lumes at 7hrs run time on hi *bigger battery) or Hope 4 -1000 lumes a 2.5 hrs
    figure in actual lumes minimum 85% efficency

iBlast will cost more but run time is 3x longer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    better than the Lupine 2008 Betty 12?
    http://www.starbike.com/php/product_...ng=en&pid=9035
    i think so...about half as much $$

One Gear
    at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=24167
    not the greatest run time. I would need 4 more batteries. or 1 extra and a car charger.
    wonder what price is for extra batteries?
    iBlast -720 lumes at 7hrs run time on hi *bigger battery) or Hope 4 -1000 lumes a 2.5 hrs
    figure in actual lumes minimum 85% efficency

iBlast will cost more but run time is 3x longer.

Due In Stock 30/01/2008

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Better in what way and in what application?

It seems to basically be a big HID that can only be mounted on the handlebar. 650 Euros is around 940 US Dollars and we can buy the Betty for less than that here. I'll take the Betty or any bright LED over that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Should some of these reviews include one of the versions of the cutter cree kit that many people are using for their homebrew led lights. It would be good for people to see the difference in beam and brightness.

Ian

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

better?

subtract the 17% vat - non eu member so price is about $190 cheaper than you state.
    yes, only handle bar mount. agree, it is a bit massive of a light.
    better/more light out put - able to see wider and father..thus go faster.
    I would be using for 12 hr XC night riding/racing and later 24hr triathlons where night riding speed is very important.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by iggs
    Should some of these reviews include one of the versions of the cutter cree kit that many people are using for their homebrew led lights. It would be good for people to see the difference in beam and brightness.

Ian

I'm interested in this. What is the best DIY light to include in my shootout?

Where can I get one? Someone willing to part with theirs for two weeks?

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    subtract the 17% vat - non eu member so price is about $190 cheaper than you state.
    yes, only handle bar mount. agree, it is a bit massive of a light.
    better/more light out put - able to see wider and father..thus go faster.
    I would be using for 12 hr XC night riding/racing and later 24hr triathlons where night riding speed is very important.
    Sorry- with such nice LEDs lights out, the HID option is a bit too fragile and I cannot outrun the Betty/Wilma combo or even a combo like the ARC/ARC or 600L/ARC at 30-35 mph on a long DH. One wreck and that big glass lighthead will crack and leave you in the dark. Of course, feel free to get one but I'd rather run two LEDs given the choice. I have more light than I truly need as it is and I have durability and dimmming options. That slightly cheaper price wil not look so good once it is time to replace that bulb. Normal HID bulbs are around $125 plus shipping both ways. I'd bet that one is more expensive. If you still feel that is a better light, why look at LEDs at all? Heck I can find you overvolted halogens that are cheaper, brighter, and wider than that HID but I still would not consider it "better". In fact there is a homebrew light thread in this fourm with a halogen light that has around a 3,500 lumen output.

Find me a lightweight LED that has that kind of wide beam and distance along with a 4-5 hour runtime and I'll agree that it can be a better light for many.

At Work
    good reviews.......... helped me make up my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its got what plants crave
    I'm pondering whether or not to switch from my overvolted homemade halogen or not. I still get 5+ hours of run time at 20 watts! I need a new lithium battery for it and that's going to run me between 50 and 90 dollars from Batteryspace... hmm