• 12-06-2012
    TJWilly
    LED and Driver question 2 for 1!
    1. Can someone quickly tell me the difference between XM-L 280lm vs XM-L U2 emitters?

2. I have a couple 8xAMC7135 drivers and was wondering... when soldering past them, on the back plate, do I just solder (+) to center and pick any place on the edge to solder (-) to? If I need to post a pic, I can.

Thks
  • 12-06-2012
    Vancbiker
    1. No way to compare. The 280 lm is a value for light output, the U2 is a brightness ( bin code) classification.

2. If you are talking about battery connections, then you are right. If you mean + and - for the LED, then you are not right.
  • 12-06-2012
    TJWilly
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    1. No way to compare. The 280 lm is a value for light output, the U2 is a brightness ( bin code) classification.

2. If you are talking about battery connections, then you are right. If you mean + and - for the LED, then you are not right.

Sorry, still trying to figure this out... Ok... then how about this:

led 1: Cree XM-L Star LED - LED Supply.com
    vs
    led 2: Cree XM-L U2 LED Emitter with 20mm Base

Just trying to stay away from DX for right now. I have a couple each of these by the way.

2. Ok then I think I am right when I say past - I meant furthest solder point away from source being the LED. Also same as backplate or backside of the Driver.

But yeah, I should have said battery side. lol.

Thanks Vancbiker

edit: with the LEDs - some of the terminology, I am still trying to nail down. :/
  • 12-06-2012
    yetibetty
    2 Attachment(s)
    The LED Supply one is a T6
  • 12-06-2012
    TJWilly
    Understood. I see why y'all sometimes say a 'T6' or a 'T4' and now perhaps a 'U2'.

:)

So much to take in since I walked in here earlier this week...

In other news, my phucked build is all but done. Waiting on 18650s to build a suitable pack. Tested with some crappy AA batts. Modified it slightly with a switch on top.

AND it got a T6. lol....

:)
  • 12-07-2012
    adrenalnjunky
    If you're using this 7135 board - all connections can be made on the front side if needed. EL34 has a nice writeup on ways it can be wired:

2800ma Multi Mode Driver Board

http://el34world.com/Misc/bike/images/IMG_6596.jpg
    http://el34world.com/Misc/bike/image...596_small1.png
  • 12-07-2012
    TJWilly
    Thanks. Great right up. I had not seen that. The mode info was most useful. I currently have it mode 1 but may change to mode three using his trick.

Do you guys like having the strobe option on helmet lamps?
  • 12-07-2012
    adrenalnjunky
    Strobe is useless to me on everything but a taillight. It really doesn't work well when trail riding at night.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2