Thread: Lathe Purchase

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lathe Purchase

I gotten sick of running about getting my parts machined by shop. If I buy a lathe, would you guy be interested in getting your parts make by me? Just pay me for material cost and reimburse me for my time.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer, but no. I'm sticking to designs that use 1" square tubing for now.

Good luck.

Walt

Do It Yourself
    I wouldn't count on it to finance the purchase but if you build a nice design and price it right, I'm sure you will have some interest.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well, I do RC plane as well. Light is a new hobby to me. Its really difficult to find machine shop that does small quantity nowaday, came across a used full Lathe today, price is $2888, lathe is about 15 yrs old, UK made. Comes with an huge assortment of cutter and accessories. It is a really expensive purchase, yes, I like to finance it by offering a machining service at low cost.

mtbr member
    That is a lot of money . why dont you spend less on something smaller - china made.
    I paid 300 for mine but spent 300 more on bits and bobs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Your intentions are good but expensive. However, I really doubt you would get your money back unless a lot of people enlisted your service. I suppose your plan would be to take designs others have come up with and build them. Would they have to provide the material? If special tooling is required would you make the purchase?

Not trying to steal your thread but maybe there is a way to do this, but cheaper. Folks on Candlepower regularly make group buys for leds, drivers, and optics to get a volume discount. Maybe we (DIYselfers) on MTBR could have make a group buy for a custom designed case. Machine shops work on volume. The more pieces ordered the lower the unit cost. We would just have to come up with a good enough design that could get enough folks interested to sign up for the group buy. Anybody up for a design contest?

certified mtb addict
    Quote Originally Posted by il2mb
    Your intentions are good but expensive. However, I really doubt you would get your money back unless a lot of people enlisted your service. I suppose your plan would be to take designs others have come up with and build them. Would they have to provide the material? If special tooling is required would you make the purchase?

Not trying to steal your thread but maybe there is a way to do this, but cheaper. Folks on Candlepower regularly make group buys for leds, drivers, and optics to get a volume discount. Maybe we (DIYselfers) on MTBR could have make a group buy for a custom designed case. Machine shops work on volume. The more pieces ordered the lower the unit cost. We would just have to come up with a good enough design that could get enough folks interested to sign up for the group buy. Anybody up for a design contest?
    Just to further your idea, Purely Custom does this sort of stuff... I'm betting it wouldn't be a cheap exercise, but cheaper than going off and getting only a couple of custom housings done for yourself at a machine shop.
    http://purelycustom.com/custompartprocess.html

certified mtb addict
    Last edited by Micka; 12-06-2007 at 03:31 AM.

certified mtb addict

certified mtb addict

certified mtb addict
    dammit, my bad...

mtbr member
    have you ever heard of harbor freight tools?

mtbr member
    another option - if you're lucky and they set up new your area is homier or www.homier.com