Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

L&M bulb replacement alternative

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Homebrew 
#1 ·
I have a nimh arc with a blown bulb that i inherited from a friend and was planning on getting a direct replacement but my LBS was quoted $150 for the bulb alone. Are there any alternatives? The difficulty seems to be that the arc uses a standarc solarc ballast but due to the separate reflector uses a non standard bulb?

#6 ·
#8 ·
doogs said:
Thanks for the links homebrew, so is this the same ballast that they use in the Li-ion version or is this different? i was thinking i might use a 11.1v li-ion pack i have lying around depending on how long the nimh pack lasts.
It's the same ballast for both NiMH and Li-Ion although I don't know if L&M add any additional regulation within the Li-Ion battery (maybe included in the protection circuit?). Here's the datasheet with all the info:

http://www.walamp.com/lpd/files/datasheets/MC3705RevB_10watt.pdf

The datasheet says maximum instantaneous voltage is 11.8V which a fully charged Li-Ion could easily put out even if it's just for a short time.

#11 ·
RandyBoy said:
Check and see what the price of a HID 13w bulb is from Trail-Tech for their MR-11, it's the same Welsh Alyn bulb.
No, it's not. L&M is using the W/A bulb without reflector adding a custom L&M reflector. TrailTech is using the W/A bulb with built-in reflector. Again, see the datasheet referenced above for more info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.