mtbr member

L&M ARC, Nightlightning iBlaast! beamshots

Just for fun I've compared my new iBlaast! to the L&M ARC I have been using for a bit.

I had a little go at some beamshots of the ARC last week before the iBlaast arrived and those seemed easier to capture. Tonights photos were a bit more involved as I wanted to take a few at different settings. This was a bit of a mistake as it was difficult to document which ones were taken with what setting and I just got in a jumble - God knows how Francois has managed it with all his many lights when I was struggling with just two!

Anyhow, here they are

This is the iBlaast! bar mounted

The L&M ARC on the bar

And this is the L&M on the bar and the iBlaast on the helmet

The two work well together in that the iBlaast fills and the ARC punches ahead as well as giving some nice near spill too...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice shots!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi Bonesetter,
    Nice photos. No need to remember what your camera settings were, the info should be in the EXIF data for each shot. Most software will allow you to view the EXIF data, possibly hidden away under a menu option like "Properties".
    To really get the comparison happening, choose a picture that looks "about right", check what settings the camera used, and set it in manual mode for the rest of the shots. If you are comparing some really bright lights and some not so bright ones, you might need to shoot all the lights at 2 or even 3 settings, otherwise the bright lights will completely overexpose, or the dim ones will barely register - the human eye does a much better job of adaptation.
    The example attached shows how to view the EXIF data in Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
    Dylan
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsut4392
    Hi Bonesetter,
    Nice photos. No need to remember what your camera settings were, the info should be in the EXIF data for each shot. Most software will allow you to view the EXIF data, possibly hidden away under a menu option like "Properties".
    To really get the comparison happening, choose a picture that looks "about right", check what settings the camera used, and set it in manual mode for the rest of the shots. If you are comparing some really bright lights and some not so bright ones, you might need to shoot all the lights at 2 or even 3 settings, otherwise the bright lights will completely overexpose, or the dim ones will barely register - the human eye does a much better job of adaptation.
    The example attached shows how to view the EXIF data in Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
    Dylan
    That's interesting stuff thanks. The pics don't really show comparative brightness too well, which was the whole point of it. The iBlaast! is noticeably brighter.

I'll have another go soon. Problem is my Lumix TZ3 is not manual

dtheo
    Sep 2005

aiming

The iBlaast looks less bright. Could it be that the focal point of the beam is aimed different? The iBlaast light starts further away from the source and goes further out.

Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    That's interesting stuff thanks. The pics don't really show comparative brightness too well, which was the whole point of it. The iBlaast! is noticeably brighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtheo
    The iBlaast looks less bright. Could it be that the focal point of the beam is aimed different? The iBlaast light starts further away from the source and goes further out.
    I am going to take some more shots as the iBlaast in reality is quite alot brighter

Francois is getting an iBlaast too so we'll get a good comparison there

mtbr member

Latest beamshots

Here's another attempt - lopsided!

First the ARC

Now the iBlaast!

The three objects along the fence are placed at 10 yard intervals and the lights were aimed at the 30 yard football

I think both the pics are over/under exposed. The also look different to the ones above, but they were taken at different camera settings., which i thought looked better. They do represent what you see, and the differences between the two lights better than the first attempts.
    Last edited by bonesetter2004; 02-04-2008 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    The iblaast beam looks good to me. I like it.

mtbr member
    where did you purchase your iblaast? direct from http://www.nightlightning.co.nz/index.htm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkr_cookie
    where did you purchase your iblaast? direct from http://www.nightlightning.co.nz/index.htm?
    Yes, direct from them.

The battery - very nice - came from Australia (5days to UK) and the light from New Zealand (bit longer)

dtheo
    Sep 2005

great pics

Thanks, those pics give a much different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    Here's another attempt - lopsided!

First the ARC
    I think both the pics are over/under exposed. The also look different to the ones above, but they were taken at different camera settings., which i thought looked better. They do represent what you see, and the differences between the two lights better than the first attempts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Man that Arc puts out some nice spill on the foreground. I like the iBlaast too. I wonder if a wide beam iBlaast on the bar, and a narrow beam on the helmet would work? That isn't cheap though... Still waiting for Francois review too.

mtbr member
    Just to relieve the anxious wait 'till Francois posts the iBlaast! report, here's one more of the iBlaast & ARC (helmet mount and bars mounted) taken at the same setting as the two above