mtbr member
    Jan 2005

K2 tripple homebrew

Here is another project light I'm almost done building. Used Luxeon K2 emitters. They consume a little more power than the Cree's or Seoul's so it runs hotter but still gives off alot of light. My eye can't tell much difference between the K2's and the Seoul's. The K2's are half the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What kind of regulator did you use?
    It seems not like fatman or maxflex...

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Narajjang
    What kind of regulator did you use?
    It seems not like fatman or maxflex...
    I think that are the Bflex...

Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yea, it's the bFlex with the bike specific firmware. That holder for the board doesn't come with it, I made that.

Bike's hmmm nice

round tripple lens

He mofoki,

noticed that u use a round system, where most DIY are with square alu. In the background I see this round 3 lens module. Is this a standard article and where did u get this? I'm looking at building a 3 led headlight (parts already ordered), and the square alu tube seems more easy to implement, since I have only seen single lenses. But I like the round system way better for looks.

grtz

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by merijn101
    He mofoki,

noticed that u use a round system, where most DIY are with square alu. In the background I see this round 3 lens module. Is this a standard article and where did u get this? I'm looking at building a 3 led headlight (parts already ordered), and the square alu tube seems more easy to implement, since I have only seen single lenses. But I like the round system way better for looks.

grtz
    This looks like it might be the same one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4630

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    wow that came out very clean looking. I am building a 3 led round lens setup right now also. My biggest concern was how I was going to mount it because mine is a helmet light so I had a base for it but its not looking too pretty right now, hehe. I have also toyed with the idea of how I am going to keep the lens in but I like your setup with the screws. I was just going to silcone it in and hope that I didn't have to take it out all the time, hehe.

Very nice work, do you have pics of how you are going to mount it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Sorry it takes so long for me to respond to your questions guys but I do have a job too.

Let my take this time to explain a little better what went into this build.

The tubing is something that I get for free from work. I just cut off the amount I want and work it by hand to fit my application. It is standard aluminum tubing that you can get from any of your local supply locations. Type in a search on the web and you can find alot of suppliers. Some have minimum orders so I wouldn't go there but I have found some that will sell it as small as one foot and ship it too. You can order any diameter too. I got lucky because what I get is almost prefect size but I do have to work it a bit. I hone out one opening by 1mm to accept the MR-11 size bulb or lense.

Next I aquired a 2mm tap with drill bit and some 2mm bolts from a local hobby shop. You can get them from Tower Hobbies on the web. You can put as many bolts in your bezel as you feel you need but I've found that three is enough. I've built lots of these pods but mostly for the halogen bulbs. Very carefully, because you don't have room for mistakes, drill and slowly tap the threads and use oil because the aluminum really screws up your tools. After you've achieved success with that then cut a bezel off the end you just drilled and tapped. That way your holes will line up again. Then, using a drill press and a cutting disc hone or ream 1mm off the inside edge until you have enough clearance to fit the lense down in. After that just hand file until you get a nice finish.

For the back I cut a cicle out of a piece of .125 aluminum flat sheet that I also got from the hobby shop. I put it on the drill press and spin it and place a file against it until it is round and the exact size of the outside diameter of the tubing. Then I drill and tap for three more of the 2mm bolts.

For a switch you can be as creative as you want. Paddle switches look hiddious, I wouldn't use them. If you have an old computer mouse you'll find about three switches in there. You will also find silicone button switch covers on the web at Kaidomain or DX. As soon as I place my next order with one of those guys I intend to buy some for my future builds. But the switch in the pic is all I had at the time of this build.

The driver housing was actually a knob that I found in a bunch of junk. I used a dremel to make it what it is.

The hardest part of this project so far was the heatsink because of the thickness, 1/2". I have lots of aluminum brackets and odd-ball aluminum parts lying around and I used the holesaw to cut it out and spun it on the drill press to fit perfectly.

I don't need no stinking lathe.

I wish I had a lathe. It would sure make life easier because every time people see my lights they ask me to build em one.

The last thing, I want to make this a helmet mounted light but I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm swaying towards something that uses rubber O-rings because I'm also shooting for universal options to switch and mount it to a bar. If you wanted a bar light though, Planet Bike on the web offers nice mounting brackets that you can affix to your pods farely easy.

I hope this helps. Thankx for your compliments and interest.

Woodlot local
    That is nice. Very nice. Truly impressive.