K-lite RED rear LED tail light

[SIZE="4"]K-lite RED, its a real 'blinder' [/SIZE]

SPECS:

3x XPE red/orange LED
    1A Max drive level
    37deg frosted optics

K

mtbr member
    Thats bright! What about some holes or slots in the sides so the light is seen from the side too. Not all cars take you up the rear!

aka RossC
    hang on a second..... is that last photo in a cemetery??? What the hell?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Dude, you should also provide more detailed build, photos, etc. There's a manufacturer's forum for your posts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Does anyone else think that blinding traffic with a 3x XPE light sound like a bad idea?

I'd prefer to see a wide light bar with moving lights or some other unique blinking pattern.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13
    Does anyone else think that blinding traffic with a 3x XPE light sound like a bad idea?

I'd prefer to see a wide light bar with moving lights or some other unique blinking pattern.
    +1

I've always been a little bemused as to why you would need a really bright back light. About the only justification for using one I think, is during the day if it's raining.

You can see very cheap red back lights from several hundred metres away at night, especially if they are flashing. Anything brighter just pisses people off especially if you are another cyclist following a bright back light, it can be mesmerising.

mtbr member

I was thinking the same, I see spots when I am behind one of those Camry Hybrids with LED tail lights (nice car BTW). I think it has to do with the focus of the LED vs. a diffused light of comparable brightness.

mtbr member
    ...+1, they are blinding!

...on dark unlit roads especially, .. blinding bright back lights would cause real problems,
    example, how many people out there are driving with impaired and reduced night vision?
    you dont have to be in your 60`s and 70`s to suffer from age related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy etc etc
    the last thing you would want to be doing is blinding these people as they approach you at speed!!
    come on, reflective tape, blinkies etc are more sensible and effective!
    and hey, spare a thought for all us easily pissed off motorcyclists!
    fog lights on when it aint foggy
    feckin high level led brake lights grrrrr
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO
    ...+1, they are blinding!
    fog lights on when it aint foggy
    You have no idea how much that annoys me!!

Yeah, a hi vis jacket or reflective tape is very effective.
    Like OTH said, a cheap rear light off DX will be much more effective. Plus you could buy a few for the same price. One in your bike, one on your bag and one on your helmet. Sorted.

mtbr member
    Come on fellas, like any other front bike light you have, you don't go around with your 7up on high on the bike track/ road....

low modes drives @ 80mA across the string & with the frosted optic its not blinding @ all...its the non frosted light, like a clear 5mm/3mm Red that hurts your eyes to look at...

good for rainy days (day time)
    good for night time when you want to keep your night vision, red has less impact on this...
    good for letting NASA know where you are if you get stuck...

K
    Last edited by ktronik; 12-15-2009 at 12:04 AM.

lumen junkie
    Oct 2009
    I'm using a Magicshine with a red lens on SOS mode...to say this is equivalent to a $5 blinkie is completely insane. I get a LOT more respect with a big tail light and I'm guaranteed to be seen in all conditions...if they're blinded then they won't get that close which is what I want. This setup is so much safer I can't believe it's being argued against.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A red tail light should be large and it must have side visibility.

How about putting a flashlight diffuser on this one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zemike
    A red tail light should be large and it must have side visibility.

How about putting a flashlight diffuser on this one?
    Exactly! You ned a large amount of light, to bee seen from all angles Not a bright single point. 37 degrees isnt that much of a viewing angle. I'm thinking more 270 degrees, ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_SC
    to say this is equivalent to a $5 blinkie is completely insane.
    Where the blinkies do come into their own is that if you have a few flashing on your bike and maybe helmet, you are alot more visable. Infact this morning when dropping the Long Haired General off at work, I saw quite a few cyclists. When they only had one brightish rear light, it was hard to judge how far away they are. Is it a single bright light far away, or is it a dim one close up. Only when my headlights lit him up did I see that infact he was pretty close. On my way home I saw another guy with a couple of rear lights and a reflective bag cover. So much easier to judge distance. The Cateye type or obviously better than a $5 blinkie. Look at them, many LEDs with a WIDE field of view.

Do you really want to blind the driver of a one and a half ton lump of metal coming up behind you?! Red light might not affect your night vision but it can still be too bright to disorientate you.

Quote Originally Posted by ktronik
    low modes drives @ 80mA across the string & with the frosted optic its not blinding @ all...its the non frosted light, like a clear 5mm/3mm Red that hurts your eyes to look at...
    Ahhh, but you only had the NASA beacon in your advert!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There's nothing wrong with my night vision but I nearly got a bike rider with a $5 blinkie. He was on a road lit by orange lights and was wearing black clothes; I saw him early by accident.

The light was his saviour but it made me determined to revisit my tail lights. A blinkie is not good enough.

Car taillights are much brighter and are attached to a big hunk of metal sheet to reflect.

KTronic's taillight is a Great idea but I'd personally like to see it a little less dazzling for the other motorists.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a couple of thoughts on this one.mostly cause I think this one was built for me. First is that the light does not need to be set up to shine directly into the eyes of motorists just like you would not set up a headlight to shine into the eyes of motorists. I agree that a diffuser lens is a good idea and I think I may pursue that.

Also, remember that not every commuter shares your commute. In an area with lots of traffic and many competing light sources, it is good to be bright, much like a car or motorcycle tail light. Now add wet roads into the picture and many lights would just get swallowed up into the background.

This light should not be the only one used. I am a huge believer in redundancy in lighting because they will fail. Point this down a bit to add presence and add a few blinkies and drivers will know you they are there and we will hope they are smart enough not to stare directly into the light.

How bright are car tail lights anyway?

www.hahntronix.com
    There's nothing wrong with a really bright red tail-light if you are considerate. I recently finished a SSR-90 red LED light that kicks out about 750 lumens:

It's dimmable, so I turn it down a bit at night. Where I live out in the boonies, I run it at about 1/3 power in the evenings. At that level folks slow way down and pass me way over in the left lane. I had a local sheriff stop once and tell me he thought I was a UFO. He complemented me on the light and didn't accuse me of being a hazard. When you ride on narrow country roads without a shoulder, you want a tail-light bright enough folks will notice the reflection off snow or vegetation, before they even get around the turn and have you in their line of site, especially since most tend to ignore the 30 mph signs and drive 50 or 60. With a regular blinkie, I fear by the time they saw me I'd be their new hood ornament

During the day I run it full out using a blink pattern that sort of looks like it may be coming from an emergency vehicle. 3 quick blinks followed by a half second pause and repeat. That gets noticed. It isn't any brighter than sunlight reflecting off a the window of a parked car, but folks pick up on the pattern and slow down. It is unpleasant to stare at from a few feet, but that doesn't happen much (there are 2 stoplights in the entire township I live in).

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ktonic and Mchahn... I like it! My perfect commuter tail light would be that bright, but I also think that it needs to have some additional side viewablity and at least one of the leds need to blink.

I like the way you guys thought out the different modes for many situations; especially the brighter/blinking day time mode.

What kind of run time are you all getting?

Has anyone toyed with combining a flashing led and a continuous led in one unit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

another bright tail light.

My homemade taillight has 2 leds that can run at up to 500ma each and there are a host of flashing and steady options avalible. I normaly just run an alternating patern with the power down at about 100ma lower if I am with other people as that is a bit bright if you are right behind it. In fog in daylight I will turn it up a bit.

I am using a flare optic on one of the leds which gets it good and visable from the side. The diffuse spot on the other means you can still be seen well from 200m+ back by fast aproching traffic.

Here is a beamshot with the setting I would typicaly use in the day.

More pics

www.hahntronix.com
    Looks nice ifor. I am impressed that you manage to cram batteries inside as well as the driver. What size tubing is it? Looks like 1.25 or maybe 1.5 inch square.

If you want a more finished looking endcap, check out places like Mocap for things like: http://www.mocap.com/plastic-caps-square-vinyl.html , they fit on near water-tight yet are pretty easy to remove. Mocap likes to give out free samples, just don't get too greedy. They probably won't work for your current build, but think about them for the next one.

What did you use for a holder? Is that a stock headlight holder you pulled off another light?

You must be using some kind of boost driver. Did you design it yourself? Or are you using a DX or KD driver?

I like the look of the flare lens. I may have to try somethink like that on my next SST-90 build.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's bigger than it looks 40*40*75 and not light at 220g. If I was doing it again I would not have it all Alu but just have the plate with the leds metal and the rest plastic. It is wide enough for 2AAs in a holder then the driver takes up about the same space.

The mount is off an old comercial tail light. I have had to add a second one as with just the one and being so heavy it would not stay still.

Driver is base off this thread tweaked for two instances and all the code re-writen in C . It's just a linear type driver but 2 rechargable AAs 2.4v and red leds with a vf of about 2.1v at a high curent make it a very good match. I have used it a few times as it also works well with a single li-ion cell and one or two leds in parallel, having the ability to reprogram it is good and I get lots of levels which I like.

I Just used it in a realy light weight running headlight which will also be my emergancy spair when biking. 2 XPGs and a single 14500 cell at 100g. Having the driver in the light head I have managed to add thermal managment which with somthing that light is a nice thing to add.

The endcaps look good I will have to try and get hold of some.

mtbr member
    Anyone for ping pong?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Get out, that's super cool!!... looks like the back half of a k-lite, but what's the red?? XPE triple??

K

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik
    Get out, that's super cool!!... looks like the back half of a k-lite, but what's the red?? XPE triple??

K
    Just a crappy red emitter from Jaycar. Half as bright as my crappy XR crees so I'd like to see what a triple XPE does.
    No optic. The ball illuminated completely uniformly, looks really cool.

The ball will fit nicely down into the fins (just sitting on the super smooth threads here).

ps
    Complete bugger to photograph, the red saturated. Had to wind the current way down.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Just a crappy red emitter from Jaycar. Half as bright as my crappy XR crees so I'd like to see what a triple XPE does.
    No optic. The ball illuminated completely uniformly, looks really cool.

The ball will fit nicely down into the fins (just sitting on the super smooth threads here).

ps
    Complete bugger to photograph, the red saturated. Had to wind the current way down.

Oh really!!... HHmm you got the patent yet??... if its cool I might try one...

Another first for the Kiwi's!!! Right on BRO!!

K

mtbr member
    If I was going to sell them I would have put up this picture
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    DIY LED Bike Lights:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast