mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Just the other night...

I got out for a night ride for a bit this evening. Tested the new 1100 Lumen Hex light on my helmet with the single micro on the bars. Good setup.

It's odd...there's so much more "nature" on the trail at night. My lights reflect off spider's eyes like crazy. There's like 50 spiders per sq yd on the more humid nights. Insane! I noticed one night that the trail was beautiful. Sparkles everywhere along the side, all across the middle of the tall grass...I thought it was lightning bugs to begin with, but realized that they weren't flashing. The blue and green reflections were actually reflections of my LED's. I walked toward the sparkles and noticed that every single one of the thousands of sparkles was a spider's multi-faceted eyes. All those freakin' pretty glimmering jewels were nasty little spiders.

Bugs in general are worse at night in the middle of summer. If you ride slowly...all they wanna do is head straight into your lights. When riding at a moderate or faster pace, it's not an issue, but some of the smooth climbs...I kick my lights down to low or even off if the moon is full.

Frogs / toads are plentyful...I can't go 150 feet w/o seeing another lil jumper gettin his hop on. One of them tonight jumped Kamikaze out of a tree from about 10 feet up...smacked a tree trunk and landed on the trail right in front of me. Crazy-little-TravisPastrana-meets-Kermit kinda krap.

And finally the copperheads. I occasionally see them on the trail...not too often. Tonight I saw one that was probably 18"-24" long. Not big at all...kinda cute little guy with his cute little viper-shaped head...housing the little miniature fangs, ready to give me a little toxic-lovin' if I mess with him. He was crawling away from me somewhat slowly...and all the sudden, some debris landed in front of him and he took off like a bat outta hell straight toward my feet. Hopped on my pedals and got on my merry little way.

Was a fun little solo with nature.

Regarding lights...I can't wait to get my XP-E board back from Quaz. I think it will be interesting as a helmet light. The triple XP-G is nice, but truly works best IMO as a bar mount flood setup. I'm actually considering switching it back to a medium frosted bar mount and going with a tighter hotspot on the helmet. The Regina is a special little setup. It definitely has a little more reach than the triple for sure. The volume of light isn't quite as much obviously...but it's definitely an impressive performer for only 2 XP-G's. The fact that it runs for 2hrs flat with a 71 x 52 x 19mm LiPo pack is great. (that's pretty freakin' small compared to something like a MS)

I'm selling my double barrel light to a friend this weekend. He wanted it as a bar mount...(weird for such a tight beam)...so I made a bar mount for it and ordered enough crap to finish my refined version.

I can't wait!
    Last edited by chelboed; 07-16-2010 at 05:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice report. If you think the bugs are bad remember all those spiders are thinning them down a lot!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Chelboed. I enjoyed your night ride.

Lets RIDE!
    I've seen the spider's eyes as well...very cool, and no one believes it until they see for themselves.

We have a lot of deer around our trail system, and at night they stop dead in their tracks like.....ummm....deer in the headlights
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I wuz riding last night (here in NW Florida it's just too hot in the daytime, 102.9 degrees yesterday at 1400) and out of the underbrush comes an armadillo. The sob runs directly under my front wheel; I hit the ground hard. I didn't even have a chance to unclip. Mutter, mutter, mutter sez I. I hop up and give it a mighty kick, miss, spin around and fall down. Now I'm pissed. Falling into the briars, I'm afraid I've torn my bike shorts. I extract myself from the brambles and continue. Then a Common Nighthawk flies down the trail right in front (maybe 10 feet) of me for 30-45 seconds. He was going around corners and flying fast. Made my night. I had an Owl do the same thing a few weeks ago. I love seeing the zillions of green spider eyes looking at me during the night rides. I haven't seen any snakes at night (yet). I see an occasional pigmy rattler and/or cottonmouth during the daylight hours. I see lots of non-poison snakes on our trail. Gray water snakes, black snakes, and such as that. I dearly love to night ride. James

mtbr member
    ...The other night ( here in Maryland )....while I was taking a quick breather, I heard some creature give a God-awful scream. Never heard anything like that before. I've heard owls screech before but this wasn't no owl. I don't think it was a deer....maybe a fox or coyete. Whatever it was, it was spooky as hell and about 75ft away from me back in the woods. It cried out a couple times but shut up as soon as I brought the big lights out.

Lets RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    ...I've heard owls screech before but this wasn't no owl.
    I don't know if you have barred owls down there in MD, but they have two different calls. Their typical "hoo-hoo, hoo-hooooo" call, and another that's, like you said, a crazed scream. I would never have thought it was from the same animal, until one night I was seeing how close I could sneak up on one, and he "changed his tune" as I got close. Scared the **** out of me.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    I think we need an "The other night..." thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Z in VT
    I don't know if you have barred owls down there in MD, but they have two different calls. Their typical "hoo-hoo, hoo-hooooo" call, and another that's, like you said, a crazed scream. I would never have thought it was from the same animal, until one night I was seeing how close I could sneak up on one, and he "changed his tune" as I got close. Scared the **** out of me.
    Yep, know the typical "Hooooooooo-hoooooo call they give, more low-pitched. However if you get too close to them they can give out a very loud/high pitched screech. The first time I ever heard this was several years ago but last year I saw an owl and got a little too close. Once again the high pitched screech that will raise the hair on your arms. The Hooo, hooo is the typical mating call and is very pleasant.

Generally if it's an owl the sound will come from the tree tops. The sound I heard the other night was coming from the ground. Wish I could of seen what it was but too much foliage this time of year.

Come to think of it, earlier in the year there was a similar screaming type call outside where I live. When I heard it I grabbed my MCE torch and ran out to my balcony. About 200ft away I could see a Canine type animal walking along the outside of one of the near-by buildings. Once again, it was making a God-awful noise that could wake the dead. At the time I thought it was a large fox but it might have been a coyote. It took off running when I hit it with my high beam.

NONDURO
    Coming down a hill around a corner at just under 30MPH two days ago I almost ran into a very large adult male deer sprinting across the road in front of me. Glad my brakes worked!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.