mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Jet Lites, Need help!

If anyone can help me out, that would be nice. I'm looking at purchasing a jet lite system but i do not know which one to buy.

The lights:
    1.) Phantom Single Beam w/ Smart Switch and Fuel Gauge
    - 12w or 20w ?
    - $320
    2.) Starfire Single Beam w/ Smart Switch and Fuel Gauge
    - 12w or 20w ?
    - $320
    3.) Starfire Dual Beam w/ 5-way Smart Switch and Fuel Gauge
    - includes both 12w and 20w systems
    - $330

I don't care about the price so that is not a factor. I don't know what system is the best and i have no idea what power of bulb to get. Any bit of information is useful.
    Last edited by flyingfischer5; 06-03-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Do It Yourself
    The 20W single beam is enough for technical singletrack but the 12W would need to be supplemented with another light. If you're only buying one, I would put a high power light on the helmet rather than the bars. Exceptions would be if your frequently riding in dusty or misty conditions. Then a bar light is needed. Otherwise, the helmet light is far more useful being pointed where you're looking rather than where the bars are point (which may or may not be where you want to go next). If you're racing or riding by yourself, two lights would be highly recommended for redundancy.

For Jet the Phantom is the helmet light and the Starfire is the bar light. I really don't think a dual bar is very useful. The SmartSwitch is a useful feature to dim the light and save the battery but the fuel gauge is pretty worthless for the helmet light since you can't see it (battery in the pack) while riding.

BUT for $300+ I would be looking at an HID (L&M Arc or Jet Blast) or high powered LED (Dinotte, etc).

Good luck.
    Long Live Long Rides

My Rusty Knee
    HOLY EXPENSIVE HALOGEN BATMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    BUT for $300+ I would be looking at an HID (L&M Arc or Jet Blast) or high powered LED (Dinotte, etc).

Good luck.
    Yeah ditto that

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member

Check out ebay...

for deals as well on Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfischer5
    If anyone can help me out, that would be nice. I'm looking at purchasing a jet lite system but i do not know which one to buy.

The lights:
    1.) Phantom Single Beam w/ Smart Switch and Fuel Gauge
    - 12w or 20w ?
    - $320
    2.) Starfire Single Beam w/ Smart Switch and Fuel Gauge
    - 12w or 20w ?
    - $320
    3.) Starfire Dual Beam w/ 5-way Smart Switch and Fuel Gauge
    - includes both 12w and 20w systems
    - $330

I don't care about the price so that is not a factor. I don't know what system is the best and i have no idea what power of bulb to get. Any bit of information is useful.
    I know you're specifically looking at Jetlite, and I've never heard anything bad about them, but here's something you may wish to consider. I have a 30W halogen system from Cygolite. (It's actually a modified 25W system [the out of production Night Explorer], with one 10W wide and one 20W spot bulb). Yesterday I got a 5W Dinotte LED light. I only spent a few minutes at night outside with them, but it's pretty obvious that the Dinotte will produce more _usable_ light because of its superior beam pattern, and even in total light output it's pretty close- though that extra light is wasted in hot spots and needless spill. I know you said you don't care much about price, but for less than the Starfire you could get the Dinotte and enough battery packs to run it for days, or for a little more you could get two Dinottes and blow them away.
    To the troll mobile, away...

BBW
    mtbr member
    flyingfischer5

You can call Jim (Jetlite owner), he is very helpful with questions and E-mails
    Did he tell you about the new systems? I'm not sure when will be ready but very soon with lighter weight and more burning times.

I have had a Phantom 12w for 5 years without a problem and let me tell you this. When you compare any light with another one more powerful, you feel bad but when you are riding at night your eyes get use to the light that you actually have.
    Saying this, I was riding with the 12 watts and it was A LOT of light until I saw an HID in person. When the HID is off, I think again that 12 W is enough but 20 would be nice and HID is just WOW

So... if you want reliable go halogen. I would say go with 20W since you can dim it or buy 12W bulb later. if you want max brightness go HID Blast

PS: the new Jetlites comes with bar and helmet mount