Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I've got a fever and the only cure is a custom light!

Ok, I want to build a custom(or several) light. I have a few ideas in mind and will prob try them all at some point but looking for advice on which is more builder friendly and wallet friendly to start so here are some examples of what I am looking to build.

This one seems cheap and easy for my first light and seems I could just flip the mount to make a helmet light as well.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Impr...ht-with-integ/

The other light I am looking at making is the Citizen Kane light as it seems a lot of people here have made their lights based off that design so it would be easier to get any questions answered that I might have. Easy DIY

My questions now are this.

I have access to pretty much any common tool and some not so common tools.
    I want to build a light that I can also adapt to a helmet light. I want to build a good light for a small price(don't we all) I also want it to be somewhat simple build for my first one.

I'm confidence in the building part as I do woodworking on the side so I have some backround just more nervous about the wiring and optics/drivers side of things.

Also, any other light options I should look at besides the two I listed?

Thanks for the help!!

mtbr member
    Oh and a few more details which may help with my answers. I am looking for a runtime around 3 hours and would like to try to keep the build under 70ish.

mtbr member
    Ok so I have been reading the build pages all day and have another questions. Is there a one stop shop online that I can order all the needed components from? Can I get any of the components from Radio Shack?

Light freak

Your best chance at "one time" shopping

mtbr member
    I really want to build it from scratch so I can learn the in's and out's of light building.

Light freak
    That is exactly what I linked to. Someone bought all the parts to build a couple lights. Just need to assemble. Buy it, build up both and sell one to your friend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    That is exactly what I linked to. Someone bought all the parts to build a couple lights. Just need to assemble. Buy it, build up both and sell one to your friend.

LOL, oh I see that now
    That's a little over my budget but thanks for sharing.

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    I have access to pretty much any common tool and some not so common tools.
    Can you be more specific about the tools?... metal lathe? milling machine? A lathe especially will open up numerous possibilities.

b.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Light freak
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshallard
    Can you be more specific about the tools?... metal lathe? milling machine? A lathe especially will open up numerous possibilities.

b.
    I have a wood lathe which I can turn some aluminum on. I have tablesaw which I can cut square stock with and all other typical tools found in a woodworking shop. I have a friend who has a small metal shop and I know he has a metal lathe, not sure if he has a milling machine or not.

I have been reading the DIY Dinotte Style thread and it seems like that is a nice beginner friendly light which I could modify on the lathe as well.

Light freak

Ooops, almost forgot...

There is no known cure for the fever. Beware!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    There is no known cure for the fever. Beware!!!

I am starting to see that. I haven't even started a build yet and am already excited for the outcome and the next build lol.

mtbr member
    I am starting to see that. I haven't even started a build yet and am already excited for the outcome and the next build lol.
    Yep, you have it.. That 'next light ' symptom is diagnostic!

PRETENDURO
    I've got a fever and the only cure is a custom light!
    Hey Bruce Dickinson, sometimes just a good dose of more cowbell is the best cure.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you have access to the lathe...

2x XP-G stars - $16
    1x Buckpuck - $15
    Aluminum - $5
    11.1v 2000mAh LiPo Battery and charger - $35
    2x Ledil Regina reflectors - $5-$10
    2x 20mm watch crystals - $2

This will get you 700 very usable lumens. I'm really digging mine right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Hey Bruce Dickinson, sometimes just a good dose of more cowbell is the best cure.
    Maybe I should be making a cowbell light!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    If you have access to the lathe...

2x XP-G stars - $16
    1x Buckpuck - $15
    Aluminum - $5
    11.1v 2000mAh LiPo Battery and charger - $35
    2x Ledil Regina reflectors - $5-$10
    2x 20mm watch crystals - $2

This will get you 700 very usable lumens. I'm really digging mine right now.

That beam shot looks great. Do you have a build thread I could check out and links to where those above items can be purchased?

mtbr member
    Oh and who has the fastest shipping? I don't mind paying a little extra to get things a little faster.

mtbr member
    They may not have everything but http://www.ledsupply.com/ are fast.

PRETENDURO
    Ledsupply.com has turned around orders to me here in California in three days before. Seriously quick shipping, considering when I place my orders it’s late at night and I am drunk! (I usually do the ’ol drunk impulse buying thing after several beers, but it pays off when my light designs are finally done)
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Ok ok I have been researching designs like crazy and think for my first light I am going to settle on doing a Citizen Kane style light using a Hammond housing 1455 or the 1455-b

So in order to keep my budget low but still have 700+ output how should I stuff this box?
    If I go with the 1455 I would use 2 lights and the 1455-b I would use 3 lights. I would like to try to order from the US so shipping is quick if there is any one place to get it all but maybe the boxes.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of using these http://ledsupply.com/creexpg-w139.php
    Cree XPG 3 of them should throw so good lumens I would assume? Which buckpuck would I have to run with them.

recognize the slowness
    that is one huge single...I would use the 10mm or 16mm singles to get the size way down.

Quazzle has a single and Cutter has a single in 16mm with the driver built in.

Might save you some effort for a first timer like you and me...FWIW

JB
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Hi spitfire,
    Are you planning on a bar mounted light or a helmet mounted light or perhaps one that you can switch between the two and is it for road use or off road use. In other words what sort of beam are you after ?

As you are already hooked and think you will try all of the designs out there I don't suppose it doesn't really matter
    Last edited by yetibetty; 07-06-2010 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I would like a helmet/bar light that I can switch but in the end I will prob make dedicated helmet and dedicated bar light. They will be for off-road use.

jbflyfshr- I didn't realize there are multiple sizes, where do you see that on the link so I know where to look?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast