mtbr member
    Aug 2007

New question here. Installing Edge 305 cadence magnet

I received my Edge 305 in the mail today. ( Thanks GeoMan.) However, I have a problem installing the pedal magnet on the crank arm. I have only 6mm clearance between the crank arm and the chain stay. The magnet is 8mm thick. I tried placing the magnet on the edge of the crank arm, but it doesn't activate the sensor there.

Anyone have any ideas?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Move the sensor closer to the crank arm
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for replying shiggy. The problem is not the location of the sensor. The problem I'm having is that I can't install the pedal magnet in the usual location. If I did, the magnet would hit the chain stay.

trail rat
    Move the magnet to the side of the crank arm and the sensor closer to the crank arm.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

GeoMan
    I advised HistoryMakar to go ahead and grind down the face of the crank arm magnet (the cadence magnet) to fit in between the crank and the chainstay comfortably. I'm willing to take the risk if it messes things up (I don't think it will).

BTW, we discussed everything slocaus and Shiggy suggested (what guys!).

This is the first time I've seen this but this is a mid-80's frame. Sometimes you just gotta try.

How'd you do HistoryMakar??? Did it work?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Move the magnet to the side of the crank arm and the sensor closer to the crank arm.
    That is exactly what I meant.

I thought it was obvious.
    mtbtires.com

trail rat
    It was clear to me shiggy, but his response to you seemed confused, so I tried to clear the mud a little more.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    I ran into a similar problem. Here's the solution I found. That's a 2032 battery on the right for comparison. The magnet is 3mm thick and so powerful that I'm certain that a smaller one would have worked just fine. I had zero success mounting the stock magnet on top of the crank arm regardless of how close I was able to positon the sensor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    I ran into a similar problem. Here's the solution I found. That's a 2032 battery on the right for comparison. The magnet is 3mm thick and so powerful that I'm certain that a smaller one would have worked just fine. I had zero success mounting the stock magnet on top of the crank arm regardless of how close I was able to positon the sensor.
    Zowie! Elegant solution. What was the number of the magnet you used?

I've saved that link for future use!
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Zowie! Elegant solution. What was the number of the magnet you used?

I've saved that link for future use!

It came in a package of 3 labled: Super Magnets from the Magnet Source, purchased at a local hardware store-a real hardware store that I've been unable to stump in over 20 years of looking for off-the-wall $hit. 18mm x 3mm. I think that the generic term is Neodymium Disc Magnets if you want to do a Web search.

That's what I would call a "simple" solution. An elegant solution would be more along the lines of George Bush being asphyxiated by a potato chip and Dick Cheney having a massive coronary while attempting to administer the Heimlich maneuver.

BSNYC

Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    I am using the stock magnet mounted at ~45 degrees on my Profile Racing crank (round arms). Still has a good gap to the sensor and works perfectly.
    mtbtires.com

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I am using the stock magnet mounted at ~45 degrees on my Profile Racing crank (round arms). Still has a good gap to the sensor and works perfectly.
    This must have something to do with why we see more curves than angles in nature. I thought about trying to mount the stock magnet on the beveled part of my crank but it just looked too sketchy.

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I got it working. I took the stock magnet, removed the adhesive mount, and dug the magnet out of the plastic holder. Attached it to the crank arm using the stock adhesive mount. Then wrapped it with electrical trap. Works great.

I was considering the electrical tape as a temporary solution so that I could go out for a ride today. I planned to use some epoxy so that I don't have to worry about loosing it. But, seeing that quaffimodo used tape. Maybe that's good enough. And, if I loose the magnet, I will get some of those super magnets that quaffimodo mentioned.

mtbr member

Race Face

I just installed my magnet and was able to get clearance with the chainstay ONLY because of the crank arm design. The Raceface Deus XC cranks come machined such that there's a cavity which is perfect size for the magnet. The chainstays of many bikes today are super close to the crank arms to accomodate greater tire clearance, so I think we'll see this interference issue a lot.

So, if you haven't yet spec'd the crank on your build, keep in my the Deus can accomodate.
    NSMBA Member