mtbr member
    May 2005

Infrared anyone?

Working on a new build. All my previous builds were done with housings machined from solid. This time I'm taking a cue from Mattthemuppet and doing a spin on his "sledlight" concept. This is going to have two 5W 940nM infrared LEDs in it and a cheap single mode DX driver. This build is not for biking, but the design could be. If one had night vision goggles......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Infrared anyone?-image.jpg  

Infrared anyone?-image.jpg  

Infrared anyone?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Now that would be cool, a pack of MTB riders screaming down the trail with no visible lights on! That got me thinking, wonder if they make high power UV LEDs. Would make a killer light for eradicating scorpions here in AZ. What are you using the light for?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Beamshots

mtbr member
    you don't happen to have a pretty neighbour that you're thinking of stalking do you?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourtrax View Post
    Now that would be cool, a pack of MTB riders screaming down the trail with no visible lights on! That got me thinking, wonder if they make high power UV LEDs. Would make a killer light for eradicating scorpions here in AZ. What are you using the light for?
    There are UV LEDs but I don't know how powerful they are. Does UV kill scorpions? DIY tanning bed?

I'm making this to provide longer range illumination for a video camera.

Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    Beamshots
    Yeah, I'll get right on that! Seriously a PITA working with non-visible wavelengths. Do all the wiring and power it up and then other than it gets warm and draws current you can't tell it's working without turning off the lights and viewing through a IR sensitive camera. At least this gave me a place to use up some of the crappy Carclo MCE optics I had kicking around.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    you don't happen to have a pretty neighbour that you're thinking of stalking do you?
    Visible light is much nicer for stalking! The monochrome images from the IR illumination make everything look kind of flat.

BTW, I copied your build idea thinking it would be quick and simple. In reality it's nearly as much work doing this as it would be cutting a housing from solid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post

Visible light is much nicer for stalking! The monochrome images from the IR illumination make everything look kind of flat.

BTW, I copied your build idea thinking it would be quick and simple. In reality it's nearly as much work doing this as it would be cutting a housing from solid.
    bah, shows you how much I know about stalking, must be getting rusty in my old age

erm, about the housing construction, yes it is a pain in the butt and getting everything to fit properly is the most time consuming aspect. If you have the machine tools and more importantly know how to use them, cutting from solid has to be more straightforward. I only build/t lights that way because I have to

I'm still working on kitting out my lathe to make my next housing. I nearly have all the illumination I need, next up is finishing the "milling" attachment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Not sure of the actual light output of the LEDs you are using (IR) or your future plans on UV LEDs.... BUT, please do some searching/reading to make sure you aren't putting your vision at risk. Just because the light is 'invisible', doesn't mean you don't risk damage to your eyeballs.

I did some work with high powered IR LEDs (true IR, not the 'dark red stuff') and we had to use filtered eye protection due to the power levels in use. It was close proximity stuff.

Anyhow, just a heads up...

cheers,
    george.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks George for the warning! I am aware of the hazard of 1064nM wavelengths, and have a set of goggles for protection from that. I'll need to read up on the potential for harm at 940nM which is just beyond visible unlike the 850nM of the 'dark red stuff' IR.

mtbr member
    @Vancbiker
    I wish UV killed them but I've only found a good stick to be capable enough. They glow in the dark when hit with UV light so makes it easy to hunt them down at night. I found some 11W UV LEDs but at $100 a pop, no thanks. I think I will stick with my cheapo UV flashlight.

@George
    Also thanks for the heads up. Even the low powered UV lights are potentially harmful, hence the big warning sticker on the light!

Name:  scorp.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  42.8 KB

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice Idea. I have several home made out door LEDs around my property. I should add an infra red LED to them so my new security cameras have even better night vision.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Put it all together and it didn't really light up well. Checked the drive current and it is a bit under .7A. Crap DX driver is spec'd at 1.25A. Another inflated Chinese spec. For $1.99 I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I guess it's another months wait to get a higher output driver. Might try a 5W resistor instead.