mtbr member

Info overload! What to do with my MC-E?

Ive been searching, Im overwhelmed!

I have an MC-E in the wonderful warm color.. its not the brightest, but Im attached to it. I need a decent setup for a single lamp.. so it cant be too narrow, cant be too floody.. just a reasonable middle ground.

Whats a good optic and driver combo to run a warm colored MC-E? Id prefer 2-3 modes, ideally not more. I can provide a battery and housing to match whats necessary, Im just lost what specs to choose, and a bit confused with drivers.

Its kind of an old LED now, so is there a standard proven combo that works well?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My favorite combo with an MC-E is the Fraen reflector narrow. Another one that is good in my tests though I never built with one is a Ledil Iris. Driver will depend on your choice of battery and how your MC-E is wired. Taskled has everything you need in their range of drivers.

mtbr member
    I think im going to stick with an 8v battery, from 2 18650's. If I wired it 2P2S, I could run a 500ma/1000ma driver, for a total of 1-2 amp? I might be misunderstanding this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    I think im going to stick with an 8v battery, from 2 18650's. If I wired it 2P2S, I could run a 500ma/1000ma driver, for a total of 1-2 amp? I might be misunderstanding this.
    that just depends on what driver you want to use - an Lflex would work perfectly with a 2S battery and a 2S2P wired MC-E and 1.5A from the driver should give 750mA per die (2 parallel strings, therefore current per die = current/2). Or a b2flex (buck, ie downvolts from battery to LED) with a 4P wired MC-E, set to 750mA. You could wire it 4S and use a boost driver (upvolts), but there doesn't seem much point to that.

Lflex vs. b2flex. Lflex is smaller, cheaper and can go up to 3A (for future builds if neccessary), but marginally less efficient than a b2flex, no status LED and limited to 2 series LEDs max. b2flex is larger, more expensive and can only do 1.5A max, but has a few more bells and whistles. I'd probably go for an Lflex.