mtbr member
    Jan 2011

If I cut the wrapper off of a Protected 18650 can I find a place to solder leads?

If I cut the wrapper off of a protected AW 18650 or ___________ 18650, should I expect to find a decent place to solder leads, or is this a fool's errand?

Will the guts of an AW look like this? If so, I think I can manage.
    http://www.all-battery.com/ProductIm...PCB18650_4.JPG

I'm trying to make a 1s1p, protected pack out of an 18650. I don't want to solder directly to the battery terminals, I don't have a spot welder, and I don't want to add the weight/size of a plastic battery holder.

I just want to shrink-wrapped and plasti-dip one of AW's 18650 with leads attached to run my LFlex.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes, most protected cells have metal strips spot welded to the bare cell under all the outer packaging. It's essentially just like solder tabs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Is it feasible that I will be able to keep the the original PCB in the circuit to protect this 3.7v "pack?"

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Quote Originally Posted by P220C
    Is it feasible that I will be able to keep the the original PCB in the circuit to protect this 3.7v "pack?"

yep

mtbr member
    ...whoahhhh, don`t cut off the wrapper!!
    if you solder to the base its a pcb
    and to the + pip...
    use a biggish/hot soldering iron
    and it will still be protected
    FWIW, have you tested the cell for capacity first?
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    @ Brad - Coooool...
    Last edited by P220C; 02-15-2011 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO
    ...whoahhhh, don`t cut off the wrapper!!
    if you solder to the base its a pcb
    and to the + pip...
    use a biggish/hot soldering iron
    and it will still be protected
    FWIW, have you tested the cell for capacity first?

So, are you saying that the flat (-) and (+) that I am seeing is actually the PCB and not the battery?

Is that why you say to leave the wrapper intact, and just solder directly to these parts, since the heat will be going into the PCB and not the cell?

It hadn't dawned on my to test the cells capacity first. Good call.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    One thing about encasing batteries in something like plastidip. You don't want to apply it directly over the vent. The glue effect can prevent venting. A venting lithium ion is bad enough. Having one explode because the vet was glued shut. The vent has got to be at the positive end since the rest is a sealed can. All you need is some barrier so the plastidip doesn'g get to the actual venting structure. That way the vent can operate and the pressure can act against a bigger area of the plastidip, preventing a rupture.

mtbr member
    You can apply the amount of eat necessary to solder directly to the protected cells without damaging the pcb. You have to use a hot iron and be quick.
    It helps A LOT if the surface isn't very smooth. I usually scratch the metal with the tip of a screwdriver. Itís much easier to solder.